• Register Today It's free!

What type of Radius Arm Bushings

gatlin

Reaction score
City, State
Matthews, North Carolina
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
OK. It's been a few years since I've posted here. Hopefully this isn't a question that's been asked a thousand times...

I've got a 1992 EXT 4x4 with stock suspension and tire size. It's been about 50K miles since I last replaced my radius arm bushings. In the past, I've used both the rubber ones from the dealer and the polyurethane Energy ones. The Energy ones seem to work well, but they 'squeak' a lot. The dealer ones are quiet, but they don't last long.

Does anyone have a recomendation about which type of radius arm bushing to use or ideas on how to make the poly Energy ones not squeak?

Thanks for your help.

Gatlin

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just replaced all my bushings with energy susspention ones and they seem pretty well off. Did you just replace your radius arm bushings? it might be the sway bar bushings squeeking.

I replaced my radius arm bushings initially about a year and a half ago with bushings from Advanced Auto. They stopped making that sqeeking but would make a crunching noise in reverse/down a hill. the enegry suspention ones fixed that.

Supposedly the black bushings from energy susspention are graphite filled and squeek a lot less.

Also there was greese that came with the energy suspention bushings, try some of that on there.

I'd go with the full set of Energy Suspension bushings. I ordered a kit from Summit (I think) for around $120 or so. The kit includes all bushings for front suspension as well as bushings for the rear leaf shackles. I never had squeaking problems with mine either - just be generous with the grease they supply.

Hmm. I've only replaced mine once (PO replaced them with urethane, which rattled over bumps). I used rubber Moog from a regular parts store. Never heard a squeak from them. I would imagine silicone grease would last a long time and prevent squeaks without harming the rubber.

Use the poly ones they last longer...Never had a problem with mine squeaking.

heim joints....mine don't squeak

I replaced mine about six months ago with poly. I've never heard a peep or squeek out of them.

Back