What type of wash/ wax products do you use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What type of wash/ wax products do you use?

Hey guys I wanted to know what kind of washing and waxing (one step and also several step) products you all use to detail your X's. I have used the Meguir's 3 step waxing but I need to buy some more wax soon.

What kin dof waxing products would you recommend? one stemp waxing or several step? What type?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

ive been using the meguiars stuff..i usually use the deep clean from the 3 step then follow it up with gold class (polish/wax in one kinda thing)

I did pick up some liquid glass an P21s wax. Thats what im gonna use this time...let the liquid glass set up for 2 days (its a sealer) then put the P21S over it. The nice thing about P21S, it wont stain plastic like most other waxes.

Gold class is good stuff.depending on your color (dark)? i tried that s100 from harley davidson i must say its pretty good stuff two step process. also a orbital slow buffer helps. if by hand follow the body lines never in circles putting on or taking off

Maguiar's Gold Class tends to melt off at about 180 degrees. I'm not 100% sure on that but that's what I've heard.

I use Klasse AIO/SG, 3M's SMR, and S100 to top it off, especially before winter. Klasse is very durable so I usually detail my truck 2 to 3 times a year.

I would never put wax on my truck; I use Zaino goodies.

?

Originally posted by aldive
I would never put wax on my truck; I use Zaino goodies.

Never put wax on your truck? what do you mean?

Also, where do you gys pick up that S100, gold class and any other waxes?

We're currently using the following.

Meguiars Dual Action Cleaner Polish for swirls and scratches.

Meguiars Swirl Mark Remover

P21S Gloss Enhancing Paintwork Cleanser

Poorboy's EX Sealant (similar to Klasse and Zaino, better IMO)

P21S Wax (same as S100)

Generally waxes degrade very quickly, where sealants like Zaino, or Klasse or the Poorboys last much longer. The tradeoff is in the warmth and depth of the shine. I know a lot of people say Klasse and Zaino are sterile. Putting a wax on top of them gives you the best of both worlds.

Also, Zaino is all new as of last month, Sal totally reformulated the line. I haven't tried it yet but its supposed to be much improved.

Have to say, Im still a wax man and my choice of product is Griots. So far I have liked it.

Yeah Griots and Autosport are good stuff. I use liquid glass. I put 2 or 3 coats on before school last year in August. When I came home in May, the water was still beading up when it rained. It works great and can also remove small surface scratches. My hood is so shiny/slick from liquid glass, you can literally drop a towel on the middle of the hood and the thing will slide right off the side!!! Its that good.

i use mothers, but i 2 step it( 1+ 3 )

Originally posted by Stephen
Griots is good stuff, neat catalog, but a lot of it is insanely expensive.

Yes I do agree there is alot stuff in the cat. that is just fun to look at but never buy. I just stick to their waxes and cleaners.

mothers cali. style wax, 2 step, works the best imo

I finally found a good wax for my black paint. I am now in love with swirl remover and then a coat or two of 'rain-x'. It looks damn good on the black.... two thumbs up and it's like $5.00 so you cannot go wrong. :D

refer to my thread to make your paint look like glass ;)

I dont believe in waxes. It wears away at your paint, for one reason, because most people have a tendency to use a "Swirling" motion, which causes swirl marks on your car. I think just a good car wash is good enough.

Wax is a type of protection against contamination and blocking UV rays on the paint. The reason why paints fade is because of UV rays and waxes, especially the synthetic (polymer) type such as Zaino, Poorboy, and Klasse. Klasse has excellent durability, awesome at resisting water spots and also at UV protection, and the shine, it's just awesome!!!!

Hey wait, so 96explorereddiebauer, are you saying its a no win situation? Wax or no wax, your paint fades? I'm tryin to find out myself what is best for my paint job's durability ond longevity....(just got a SWEET new 2003 Ford Explorer...)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Yes, no win situation. Your paint will fade, but it depends on how much protection you have. I do a major detailing job on my '96 twice to three times a year and since I use Klasse (polymer wax), I can go that long without waxing and still gives me the protection. Anyways...I have yet to see any clearcoat failure or fades on my truck.

One of my friends has a '95 Toyota Camry and his paint has faded very bad, especially the roof and the hood. I asked him about it and he told me he hasn't waxed his car ever and it parks outside 24/7. The UV rays will kill the paint. When he first got it when we were 16 (1998), the car looked great, the shine was perfect and no fades, but as time went by, the paint condition got worse and worse. He's regretting it now.

Back