What us Aussies are doing with the Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What us Aussies are doing with the Explorer

Reaction score
City, State
Canberra, Australia
Year, Model & Trim Level
XLT V8 - 2003 model
Us Aussies love the Explorer (well I do). Mine 2003 model has had heaps of mods done to it, has a dual battery for the fridge (cold white wine), a cargo barrier (for the spare tyre), a roof rack, a 120L auxillary fuel tank which gives me 200L to carry, an air compressor to pump up the tyres when we are in the sand and lots of other stuff. The one thing I am still awaiting is advice of a lift kit. I want to lift the car 4-6 inches if I can.

Any further suggestions on whether Ford or Ranger are putting one out for the 03 model.

Cheers

Louise.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Hi Louise, and welcome to the site. If you look a little further down, there is a thread about lift kits for 2002+ models, which is closed, because this forum is only for asking about stock questions , and not about modifications.
In short the answer is there are NO LIFT KITS made for 2002+ models yet.
Please in the future, put all questions about modifications in the Modified Explorations forum.

if its the same spec as the US explroers 3rd gen, there are no lifts available and probably never will be due to the suspension desing using IRS with CV axles going through the frame

It won't be long now according to rancho, I talked with Drew Shippy with Rancho and said there coil-overs should be out in the 3rd quarter and would run about $200.00 each. Which is a lot better than KW Suspension which run
$1295.00 for a set of four!

http://www.gorancho.com/news/2004/news110804d.stm

That is some good news Chris. I can't wait to see a lifted 3rd gen.

-Drew

Louise, do you have any pics of your dual battery set up? Also where did you mount the fridge and what type?

A friend of a friends (hehe) built a sus lift kit for the IRS Expedition. Its INSANE. Ive seen pics. Ill get them so everyone can see. This was about 9 months ago... maybe he has something out for the explorer by now. Ill check.

Hi, Louise

Nice to hear from you again. Maybe a body lift would work and allow you to fit larger tyres, which I presume is your goal.

What kind of 2-way radios do Aussies run in their Explorers? Can you still get an Explorer with a manual transmission there? Do you have any pictures of your latest adventures?

Bob

Hi Bob

In Aussie land, we only get the V6 and the V8, I have the V8 4.6. I have a stock standard UHF radio fitted to the car, and also take an HF radio and my satellite phone if I am heading off by myself (for obvious reasons). We only get the auto transmission out here, the manual is only available in the states.

Will post some piccy's onto the site for reference.

Cheers

Louise.

Positive Vibes said:
Louise, do you have any pics of your dual battery set up? Also where did you mount the fridge and what type?

Hi there

The fridge is a Waeco, I've had it since March 2000 and it has not failed one (and I've driven to the Cape York, which is the tip of the Australia and crossed the Simpson Desert - Very Hot).

We put the auxilliary (second) battery in the gap behind the back seats as it was really the only place for it. I'll take some piccy's and post them.

The fridge is mounted on a slide on the set of shelves in the back (second row of seats removed). The shelves were fitted by Off Road Storage Systems near Sydney and as far as I know, they are the only ones who will touch the 03 model Explorer, Black Widow were not keen 2 years ago. I can give you contact details if you like. The owner is great and very professional. My Ford is in their catalogue.

Cheers

Louise.

Hi guys

Just had it confirmed by Superlift that they will not be making a lift kit for the 2003 Explorer. Bad news as it means I will probably have to sell the car as I just can't risk taking it off road with the current vehicle clearance, it is too low for rocky tracks and I may damage the vehicle.

Sigh !!!!

Louise.

What about the body lift. It will allow for larger tires which means more clearance. A member on here has fitted 33" tires on one with older style Explorer wheels. 35s could be quite possible with a body lift.

The maximum you can lift a car in Australia with tyres is 15mm and I've already done that (got Coopers Discoverer tyres on her at the moment). I can fit a set of King springs which will raise in 25mm, not really enough.

Not sure what sort of body lift is available, I assume that the same applies, can't be done due to the suspension set up.

Body lift has nothing to do with the suspension. It simply spaces the body further away from the frame. There is no specific kit, but they're easy to adapt.

Pics?!?!?!?!?!?!

Hey Louise,
I picked up my brand new 4.6 XLT Friday night, it is the last '05 plated Explorer to be sold in Australia. I love it already, even though I traded my stage 2 XR6 Turbo for it, too many kids for a Falcon unfortunately, we must exchange emails and keep each other up to date on mods/experiences. I'm going to fit a SCT flash to allow for more power and to re-calibrate the speedo when I put on the 265/70/17's for Beach work on Moreton Island and the likes.
Scotty

I would like a fridge, that's a great idea. How many amperes does it draw?
What method of cooling ( compressed refrigerant or heat exchanger plates), and can you give me a link where to purchase?
I need pics man!
A luxo desert cruiser for sure. Gotta love it!

Louise-Canberra said:
Hi Bob

In Aussie land, we only get the V6 and the V8, I have the V8 4.6. I have a stock standard UHF radio fitted to the car, and also take an HF radio and my satellite phone if I am heading off by myself (for obvious reasons). We only get the auto transmission out here, the manual is only available in the states.

Will post some piccy's onto the site for reference.

Cheers

Louise.

Hi, Louise,

Interesting... Here in "the states" the manual transmission was discontinued a few years ago. I have a 1992 Eexplorer with the rare manual transmission. Only about 10% of them were made with a manual. Its fun but tiring in heavy traffic.

For radios, here in the U.S. we have no HF service for private citizens. I use amateur radio for HF portable. I enjoy experimenting with portable and low-profile HF antennas. We do have a UHF citizens band called "GMRS" (General Mobile Radio Service) as well as the old 27 MHz band, which is useful only for local trail riding and the highway truckers.

My Explorer just turned 193,000 miles (over 310,000 km). I love the old girl.

Bob

p.s. I really like Australian wines!

Back