• Register Today It's free!

What Warning Light?

1997Sport

Reaction score
City, State
Stockholm
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Sport Control Trac
I have a warning light indicating on the dashboard next to the "Door Ajar" light on an Explorer 1997. But I can´t find out what it´s indicating anywhere. It looks like a tube with a thickening on the middle, with "heated-air-waves" over it. How does the catalytic converter warning light look like, my best guess is that´s the problem.
3981688876_95d89ca4d1.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Interesting... That's a new one for me... Is this an export-model Explorer? (i.e. non-US version) Where exactly does it show up in the instrument panel? A wider-angle shot would help...

the OP is in sweeden. whatever it is its not something we have here in the states

I'm guessing by the shape of the light that it is indicating a catalytic converter problem

the OP is in sweeden. whatever it is its not something we have here in the states

The UK-spec and German-spec Explorers both have some odd-shaped icons on the IP as well.... But their location (and the problem they indicated) was the same as the US-spec versions in both of those cases. That's why I asked about the location on the IP of that icon... It may give us another 'image' for the same error (or it may be something completely unique).

As for the location, I had to ask the OP because it could be a UK-spec Explorer or a German-spec Ex, or a US-spec Ex that's been retrofitted for european use... We see all kinds of stuff overseas, and there's no way to ascertain the orgin without asking.

edit: And I forgot to mention, I'm guessing that it's just to the left of the cold mark on the temp gauge.... In that case, for the US-versions, that would be the 'check engine' light... What does the owner's manual say? (I don't have access to export model data back that far)

German version of Check Engine

3984382883_db98493dcb_o.jpg

Of course! It seems to be the same location as "Check engine". Guess I´ll have to get myself an OBD-reader. It´s also correct it´s an German ex, I don´t have the original manual but the American I found says;

"CHECK ENGINE
Your vehicle is equipped with a computer that monitors the engine’s emission control system. This system is commonly known as the On Board Diagnostics System (OBD II). This OBD II system protects the environment by ensuring that your vehicle continues to meet government emission standards. The OBD II system also assists the service technician in properly servicing your vehicle.
The Check Engine indicator light illuminates when the ignition is first turned to the ON position to check the bulb. If it comes on after the engine is started, one of the engine’s emission control systems may be malfunctioning. The light may illuminate without a driveability concern being noted. The vehicle will usually be drivable and will not require towing. What you should do if the check engine light illuminates
Light turns on solid:
This means that the OBD II system has detected a malfunction. Temporary malfunctions may cause your Check Engine light to illuminate. Examples are:
1. The vehicle has run out of fuel. (The engine may misfire or run poorly.)
2. Poor fuel quality or water in the fuel.
3.The fuel cap may not have been properly installed and securely tightened. These temporary malfunctions can be corrected by filling the fuel tank
with good quality fuel and/or properly installing and securely tightening the gas cap. After three driving cycles without these or any other temporary malfunctions present, the Check Engine light should turn off. (A driving cycle consists of a cold engine startup followed by mixed city/highway driving.) No additional vehicle service is required. If the Check Engine light remains on, have your vehicle serviced at the first available opportunity.
Light is blinking:
Engine misfire is occurring which could damage your catalytic converter. You should drive in a moderate fashion (avoid heavy acceleration and deceleration) and have your vehicle serviced at the first available opportunity.
Under engine misfire conditions, excessive exhaust temperatures could damage the catalytic converter, the fuel system, interior floor coverings or other vehicle components, possibly causing a fire."

Thanks a lot for feedback

That could be the German symbol for 'Check Emissions System.... US equivalent for 'Check Engine'... You can see the one right below it being clearly a 'door ajar' light.... OUrs says, "door ajar"... Must not translate well (or short!)

Back