What wax is everyone using? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What wax is everyone using?

It looks as if spring is here to stay finally here in WI, so it's time to get out the buffer and get the Explorer all shined up for summer cruisin'.

Just wondering if anyone had a favorite wax/polish/sealant they used.

I planned on buffing mine first with a foam finishing pad and 3M Perfect-it finishing glaze to get out all the swirls the previous detailer buffed into it with their quickie "one step" products, then using Liquid Glass on it. Nicest thing about Liquid Glass is it builds up, so applying a second coat once the first cures actually deepens the gloss and adds protection. Most polishes or waxes will self-clean thru the first coat, so it's pointless to add more.

Black is such a PITA to keep clean and maintained, but it's also one of the most rewarding colors when it's done right. I'm sure if you've ever been to a car show you've seen some of the black cars with an absolutely stunning gloss and depth to their paint. That's my ultimate goal with this vehicle. I want people's jaws to drop when they see it.

Back when I had my Grand Prix, I'd take that to various car shows, and the most frequently asked questions were "Is it supercharged?" (no), and "What kind of wax do you use?" (Liquid Glass). The GP had about six coats of Liquid Glass on it, and before car shows, I'd just wipe it down with some quick detailer.

I'm kind of curious to see what Zaino is all about, but I can't justify the price. I've seen guys at the car shows using Zaino, and honestly, I wasn't impressed. Evidently, neither were the judges, because I usually ended up taking home a 1st or 2nd place trophy. Last show I was at with it I ended up 2nd to a black GP (mine was red) that was absolutely immaculate. They worked on that car every minute they were there the whole night before the show. They had it up on jackstands, and were polishing the undercarriage! They used Meguiar's on it, and it looked great. I wasn't ashamed to take 2nd to that car.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So then, what are you using?

Nothing yet...Haven't had time to get it done yet, unfortunately. Once we get our new stock car built I'll have more time to play around with the Explorer.

I'll probably end up using Liquid Glass on it.

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.

Zaino user here!

I have NEVER used WAX.

I use "AstroShield"

Just a polish, no wax in it.

NuFinish here

I have NEVER used WAX.

I use "AstroShield"

Just a polish, no wax in it.

F'ing AstroShield!!! I'm a volunteer FF. We had a commissioner back in the late 80's/ early 90's that swore by the stuff and bought tons of it (some is still there). I started putting it on my 1981 Plymouth horizon. By the time I got rid of it in like 1999 people thought I'd repainted it at least once! I tell ya, that stuff definitely does a good job. I don't know if it's show car quality, but I'll be damed if it didn't make a 19 yr old car stay looking new!

No, it's AstroShield. Unless you're making a joke. Lemme google astroglide...

You sick summagun!

Well, I finally got time to work on it a little last night. Buffed first with Race Glaze Leveling Compound (I wanted to get 3M Finesse-It, but this was handy. And free.) with a black foam 3M pad. The kind that look like a waffle, not just flat. Buffed at 1750 RPM with a Milwaukee buffer, then followed up with Liquid Glass applied with my trusty Harbor Freight orbital polisher. Looks great! I wasn't happy with the hood at first, but going over it a second time with the high speed buffer made it look fine.

Now I have to get some pics of it to show it off!

Zaino
and here is two reasons why...
100_0843.jpg

door.jpg

Six year old factory origonal paint.
The door shot the Zaino is six months old, the hood shot the Zaino is three months old.

You are so correct. I wish we could've got to Mr. "Cornburner" before! I beat the $h!t out of mine in the woods and other than some compounding for the big scratches the paint is great. Now that I have a car again and don't beat the paint up, it's even better. Just order the few steps and try it. You WILL NOT be disappointed.

Looks nice. I'll have to get some pics of mine posted up so you can have an accurate comparison. It looks mighty fine though. I was quite impressed, being the first time I ever used Liquid Glass on black paint, I didn't know what to expect. It turned out better than I ever imagined!

I'm not going to throw Zaino under the bus, but I have seen some cars that had multiple coats of Zaino on them, and like I mentioned in my first post, my car comparatively looked just as good. I'd be willing to bet if I polled random car show attendees for them to pick the Liquid Glassed car vs. the Zaino'd car, nobody would be able to tell.

Besides that, we all know that the shine is produced mostly by the surface preparation, not the top sealant. That only enhances what's there already.

All I can tell ya is, I'd never make it as a dealership production detailer. My truck took over 6 hours to complete, and that's only one coat of Liquid Glass! I'm too "artsy fartsy"...I'll keep working on each section till it makes me happy, rather than just going over the whole thing like a production guy would.

I shouldn't be such a Zaino promoter. I've only used Meguires before this (besides the Astro Shield). Never tried the Liquid Glass, but should give it a chance maybe some day. And yeah, having some thing decent to work with is what is most important. Adios, y'all...

The preparation of the veh. paint prior to the application of any wax or sealer polish is what really makes the difference in the "looks" of the veh.
L.G. doesnt last as long as Zaino although the shine is similar. Wax lasts for about a maximum of three months. Z up to 6 mos. L.G. 3 to 5 mos. It all really depends on the garaging and environment.
If you figure a cost per application then Zaino isnt expensive since it takes so little to do a veh. 3/4 oz will do an X.

Autoglym is the only wax to use for me, I use the normal one and then the pefection one after, the body gleams, water runs off it and if it gets dirty, hose it down and its fine again, without a leather to polish. I use it every couple of months and well, I really doubt if a better wax exists, its good enough for jag and aston martin, I think my explorer deserves it!

I use Mequiars OTC products: ColorX base coat followed by NXT Generation paste wax, then topped with Deep Crystal System Carnauba wax and finished with Ultimate Quick Detailer.

Just updating my use: Sonus cutting and finishing polishes; Jeff's Werkstatt sealants.

Ok so i need to do my first wax job since the paint job. What should i use.

Its still in the 50s here. Should i do it in the garage and crank up a few heaters?

Back