What will flex better?

bmxking5

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
I have been searching for a while, but I can't find exactly what I'm looking for. I currently have stock leaf springs with an add-a-leaf in them. They flex pretty decent, but I've been in a few spots where the rear tire barely comes off the ground and if I didn't have the AAL, it prob wouldn't do it. I have been reading about the Zimmerman mod, but have decided against it b/c of the 50% of people that have disliked it.

So my question is what will flex better:
1. The stock springs without the AAL.
2. Aftermarket springs (Old Man Emu, etc.) Not custom ones because I know they will flex better than either, that's why they cost so much more. :p

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Neither should make a difference. The limiting factor on the rear axle is the sway bar. Unhook the sway bar for improved suspension articulation. Shocks may also be a limiting factor. Only longer springs will give more flex. That means lift. Stock length springs mounted to stock spring mounts will all flex the same amount.

I already have completely disconnected my rear sway bar. The shocks aren't limiting anything, I got longer ones when I lifted it and have made sure that those aren't the limiting factor.

Then the length of your spring is the limiting factor. Longer spring more flex.

I think the only good thing on my trailmaster lift are the rear leaf springs. They have crazy flex! I just need new shocks and gotta rip out the swaybar.

I run stock 4 pack seems to work pretty good.

stock leafs with no add a leafs... aals are pretty stiff and they help with loads, but will stiffen up an unloaded vehicle trying to flex

I went to a local 4x4 shop yesterday to see about getting some OME springs. All I can say is WOW! They said it would be $289 each, plus I'd need a bushing kit. They checked the price list, etc. b/c they thought that it was high too but it turned out that the MSRP for them is $330 or $340 each. Guess it is because the price of steel is going up but I thought I remember seeing them for much cheaper than that?!?!

Deaver or National leafs

Aren't those even more than the OME springs?

a good ride and flex does not always come cheap.
Used they are less then the OEM, new they are comparable sometimes.

i am too looking to replacing my OEM springs.

http://www.springsnthings.com/ sells the pair for $240, which is the cheapest i've found.

get ones with bushings already pressed in them.

I paid $250 for a new set of Explorer leafs a few years back.
They were okay but did not lift the BII as I had hoped.
I then added a AAL as many people do.
Later I added a 2" block
rode like crap!

Finally I spent some $$$, $350 I think for a set of Skyjacker 4" rear leafs that were overstock at 4wheelparts
Best $$$ I spent on the rear, should have skipped all the others.
On an Explorer stock leafs and a SOA work GREAT for lift, to get more use a small shackle, more then that, then start thinking custom leafs.

You can always build your own using junk yard leafs :)

Nationals are very good and have nice prices. My RC springs flex like no other. I can put my 35 into the fender.

So I guess the National/Deaver/OME springs are all around the same price. I always thought that the National and Deavers were a lot more expensive. Then again I also thought that the OMEs would be cheaper. I guess I will just take out the AAL and add a block when I go SOA and then maybe save up for a new set.

mono leaf and SOA. 4''s of rear lift, cheap and LOTS of flex

boominXplorer said:
mono leaf and SOA. 4''s of rear lift, cheap and LOTS of flex

first gen sports came with full leaf packs though.

yeah, swap them for a monoleaf

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have a '96 Sport 4x4 with the monoleaf that is a daily driver. I need to be able to both carry loads and still have off road ability. I'm thinking of swaping the mono leaf for a V-8 leaf pack. I have a Warrior shackle kit waiting to go on at the same time and will also do the TT then too. I know the suspension is sagging, probably atleast 2" below stock, front and rear. I have replaced the stock shocks with Rancho 5000's. Does anyone have any ideas where the loss in height might be comming from? I'd like to fix that before I go ahead with any further suspension mods.

Back