What will I need for replacing spark plugs? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What will I need for replacing spark plugs?

ncyrider

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4WD
For my 2001...I have the recommended Autolite plugs and Motorcraft wires, I know about taking the front wheel off to access the passenger side plug, I just want to know what 9/16" socket(s) I should get to make this job as easy as possible...don't care if I have to spend $50 for 3 sockets. Here's what I found on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NBVFN...=UTF8&colid=3R6S14MWXAM0J&coliid=IA9WEWZYNPVQ

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00U321PB...TF8&colid=3R6S14MWXAM0J&coliid=I1K4UNC8XSRC81

Should I get both in case they are different lengths? Will I also need a regular 9/16" spark plug socket?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Where did you come up with 9/16"? Like 99.9% of your ST, spark plugs are METRIC. 5/8" will work in a pinch, but if you are buying tools use the proper size to avoid rounding heads or worse. In this case a 16mm long socket with a small piece of paper towel inside the socket to hold the plug. Only "special" tools needed for a plug change are 3" and 6" extensions and a 3/8" universal. Carefully check "pre-gapped" plugs for the recommended .054" gap, and use a thin coat of copper or nickel anti seize on the threads. Dielectric grease on plug boots is also a good idea.

If you want to make changing the spark plugs as easy as possible, remove the front wheels and drop the plastic inner fenders. Honestly the hardest part will be getting the plug wires off the old plugs. Get them to twist first, then pull. You don't say whether you plan on replacing the plug wires, but it's a good idea.

Edit: I see now you did say you're installing new plug wires.

Tip: Replace one wire at a time to avoid crossing them up.

As Koda said, removing some of the old boots can be a *****. I tore one. After I did my wires I added spark plug boot pliers to my tool list. I bought them but have yet to use them. If you can grab a pair it may help. Since you have new wires it is probably not as big of a deal if you tear one.

As Koda said, removing some of the old boots can be a *****. I tore one. After I did my wires I added spark plug boot pliers to my tool list. I bought them but have yet to use them. If you can grab a pair it may help. Since you have new wires it is probably not as big of a deal if you tear one.

I don't know if there's enough room to use boot pliers on the SOHC engine the way the plugs are recessed. I have a tool I'd bought many years ago. It's hard to describe, but it looks like a short dip stick with an open loop on the end, bent at a right angle. You insert it past the boot and around the porcelain part of the spark plug, then you pull on the handle to pop the boot off. It works fairly well once you get the boot to turn.

When I changed the plugs on my 2001, I found the plugs I can see are very difficult to get to, but the ones you can't see are easy to reach and get the wrench on. You just have to go by feel. I think I did most through the wheelwell. I didn't use any special tools, just various combinations of extensions, and maybe a short handled ratchet in a couple of spots.

Something I had an issue with but rarely see addressed are the round metal heat shields around the plugs. A few of mine were so close that a standard deep six point socket wall was too thick. Dug and finally found a cheap 5/8" thin walled deep socket that worked. To avoid stripping threads, important the engine is COLD when changing plugs.

Spark plug wire boot removal tool
https://www.google.com/search?q=spa...ved=0ahUKEwiRrpHWt4jSAhVCyFQKHZWHBxIQ_AUICSgC

While on the subject of spark plug R&R tools, this spark plug gapper was recommended to me by toypaseo from
EF in 2015. Most accurate and easiest to use gap tool I've ever found. Range is .020 to .080 inches and is double sided for metric gap measurement. I was anxious to use it and checked gaps on all of my gas powered garden tools. Very easy to use, precise, and highly recommended.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YKMCDW/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

When I changed the plugs on my 2001, I found the plugs I can see are very difficult to get to, but the ones you can't see are easy to reach and get the wrench on. You just have to go by feel. I think I did most through the wheelwell. I didn't use any special tools, just various combinations of extensions, and maybe a short handled ratchet in a couple of spots.

When I changed the plugs on my '01 ST I found that by removing the plastic inner fenders it was extremely easy to see and to get to all the plugs with just a ratchet, an 8" extension and the appropriate sized spark plug socket. The most difficult plug was the front one (#4) on the driver's side, just because there is a bunch of stuff in the way of a clear shot. I used a universal joint on that one. Removing the inner fenders is quite easy to do, some Phillips screws and a few bolts. Well worth the effort if you ask me.

Something to note when installing the new plug wires: slide the boot over the tip of the sparkplug and feel for the metal insert that will fit onto the plug tip and make sure it lines up before pushing on the boot. It is possible to push the insert so far up the boot, it will no longer reach the plug. Maybe I didn't have the best set of wires, but I've never seen this in plug wires before.

Get a tube of dielectric grease and put a dab inside each boot and on the plug end.

Also on the coil pack end.

Beverages, adult beverages prefered. The toughest plug for me was the right rear behind the AC unit. Socket and ratchet wrench on socket. Use anti seize on plugs and start by hand. Don't cross thread. And remember, adult beverages after

Back