What will replace your Sport Trac? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What will replace your Sport Trac?

96ZJBeast

Reaction score
City, State
Middletown, CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
2007 Sport Trac Ltd.
Ok, I'm not ready to do this yet, but my '07 V8 Limited Sport Trac just hit 106,000 miles and I'm starting to think about what's going to replace my baby. It's running great, it's paid for and I'd buy another one tomorrow if I could find a low mileage 2009 or 2010 for about the same price I got the '07 for. Later model ST's seem to be harder to find now than they were two years ago and no replacement for the Ranger is yet announced, so my question is this: When the time comes, what will you choose to replace your Sport Trac?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It must be a four door that will fit in my garage. Most pick-ups are too big, my first choice would be a Ford product, unfortunately Ford refuses to make one available. Guess I'll have to take a look at the new GM when it comes to market.

Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier, if the choice came down to those two?

I loved the original Bronco, and Ford discontinued it. I grew to like the second generation Bronco, and Ford killed it. I found the Bronco II tolerable, and Ford sent it to the grave yard. I enjoyed my Explorer Sport except for the lack of a V-8, and Ford discontinued it. So, I did some research and decided to go with a V-8 Sport Trac, and Ford killed it. I guess what I am saying is that no matter what I pick, it will be the death knell of that vehicle, so I will be sure to let you guys know so that you know what not to invest your money in.

In reality, I will probably try to find a nice, restored original Bronco to drive until the day that I pass from this world. The price would be not much different than buying a decent used vehicle. There is something satisfying about coming full circle back to my roots as a 4X4 driver.

I would probably consider a V8 Dakota. I like the column shifter-allows alot more storage space, where the trac seriously lacks.

Probably a jeep wrangler! with a Inline 6 (great engine)

Probably a jeep wrangler! with a Inline 6 (great engine)

Agree with the straight six. Fords biggest mistake was ditching the 300. Great engine. My old man still tracks down old F150's with 300's tied to a 5 speed for farm and hunting trucks. Indestructible, except for the odd head gasket that is an hour or 2 to replace.

If my STA has to go...For me hands down its the 2011-2013 ford edge sport

I'm curious what Ford will do with the Raptor and the next generation F-150s.

Glad to see this discussion happening. I love my 07 XLT - getting close 95,000 mi now. Hopefully it will last a very long time. I'd love to replace it with a 2010 Limited 4x4 and V8 but they are tough to find (and expensive)
I like Honda's Ridgeline (their I said it). Then there is this... just announced
Looks pretty nice. I hope Ford comes up with something to compete with it though!

Mustang GT or Bullitt Edition. :D
I plan on moving to Florida in about two years and won't need the 4wd anymore.

I would also look at a GMC Canyon with the 5.3 v8.. The only drawback is the drab low-budget interior..I would love to see more trucks use the power rear window like my Trac.. Use that alot.

Bugatti Veryon if I hit the Powerball.

2012-05-19_10-52-40_388.jpg

BTW, that is my own pic. I happened to be in Siena, Italy in 2012 when the Mille Miglia came through.

A tombstone. Whether it be mine or the truck's. Went without a truck for six years. Glad to be back. Unless the price of gas goes nuts and I have to get a fuel efficient car. I was in England two years ago and gas was like $11- $13 a gallon after the conversion. You will never hear me complain about $3.50 gas being too high.

I just bought my '10 STA not 3 months ago and I have already have been thinking about the future. IMO there isn't anything on the market new or used that looks as good as an STA and meets the size requirements of most people who purchase ST's.

An F-150, or an expedition. Looked at the competition, tested it and I'd only run toyota or dodge outside of ford and not willingly

I've contemplated this a long time as well. I still drive a 2000 Explorer Sport 2door daily- that is my "right hand" that little 4x4. The Sport trac is going to go one day - and- since I'm getting older now- and the vehicle has to fit the garage-it really leaves me only 2 choices. A 2 door short box F150 4x4 ( 5.0 L) - as it fits the garage and parking space at work. Or - A jeep wrangler Unlimited - as it is a true 4x4 and is no longer (I checked) than the 2 door Explorer Sport I drive everyday. I guess- like the rest here have said - not a lot of choices left - especially from Ford.

I still DD a '00 Sport as well, but lately been contemplating replacing it with a '10 Sport in Flame Blue.

01414_jip8ncDkeb9_600x450.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It has to be something towable, as a full-time RV'er I need to tow as I go. We've already decided that if the engine goes, we'll just replace it and keep going. Can't change to a Tacoma or Pathfinder unless its a manual trans, you can't tow the auto trans four-down. The Colorado/Canyon sucks, the wind noise alone will make you deaf for 2 days every time you drive on the freeway. The Dakota is too small for my frame, my head rides on the roof all the time, forcing me to lean the seat back, which then causes back pain issues. And we need a 4 door, so.... All in all, the ST is the best thing going!!

Back