What will you own after your Explorer? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! Once registered you can join the Elite Explorers to eliminate ads from the website.

What will you own after your Explorer?

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
Gotta love the trees. Thats what I love so much about my neighborhood, they didnt mow down the forests when they came in to build the houses. What you have is a bunch of brand new houses in a forest like setting that makes them look like they've always been there.

Only time I dont like them is when it storms, lots of down branches. The trees play havoc on the walkways and pool though, but the extra maintenance work is worth it I think.

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

leenjen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
in the poconos, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
maybe i can convince my dad to sell his 69 mach 1 to me.
he never drives it, it just sits in the garage. what a waste of a beautiful car.

Mike 92 XLT

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Manhattan Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Expensive German Stuff
Leenjen

Yeah, my Dad's C5 just sits in the garage too. He's had it for a year and a half and only has 3500 miles on it :eek: I keep telling him that I'd be more than happy to drive it around since it just sits in the garage, but nooooooo :D

peace

Mike

Dannyboy

Other Make & Models Mod
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
43°48′48″N 91°13′59″W
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 4 do'
Originally posted by hskrbkr
I'm going to go for a Land Rover Discovery. By the time I am ready for a new truck (3 years) Ford will have put a better V8 into the Disco. Hopefully Ford won't screw with the styling.
I test drove a 97 land rover SE7 and it had a 4.0 Liter V8 which I thought was small, but it was an 8 banger, unless I am wrong which happens oh say about every ten minutes, but I have a hunch on this one.

BUCHVILLEMAN

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Buckville, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
95' xlt
the trailblazer looks pretty cool and it has a bunch of hoss. still not a chevy man though. im pretty biased to fords. but if i cant have another explorer i would get another domestic product because i would be afraid to get my ss kicked by my family and my wifes family if i got a foreign car of any kind.

Mike 92 XLT

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Manhattan Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
Expensive German Stuff
Discovery

Dannyboy

Yeah, the Disco has a 3.9 liter V8. It's pretty underpowered though. I'd never buy a Land Rover of any kind because of the poor quality and rediculous repair costs. The place that installed my stereo did a Discovery for one of their clients. They said that this guy, in addition to his $500/mo payment, has an average of $600/mo in repair costs. :eek: No thanks!

peace

Mike

mrsteve

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Spring, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
I plan on getting a '97-'99 Mitsubishi Eclispe GSX. 210hp, AWD, and I love the looks. Also replace the turbo, exhaust, intercooler, computer, maybe a few other slight mods and you've got yourself a car that'll do mid 12 sec 1/4 miles. Well that's the plan. Sometime in the next 2 years. I'm getting tired of the X. Too slow, too many repairs, bad brakes, and horrible gas mileage. Can't afford to keep fixing this thing anymore really. It's got 155K on it so I'm sure the tranny isn't gonna hold up too much longer (it's the one from the factory.)

Steve

leenjen

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
in the poconos, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport
the gsx is really nice. if i would ever buy an eclipse, that'd be the one. but you wont save much on gas. not only do you have to run premium unleaded, but with a high performance aftermarket turbocharger, you need larger fuel lines and a better fuel pump to give the engine enough gas. otherwise it won't run right. i did that to my daytona. if you hit WOT, it would feel like it was choking and want to stall. it almost ruined the engine.

mrsteve

Reaction score
City, State
Silver Spring, Maryland
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Upgrading the fuel pump and injectors wouldn't cost all that much. Also I wouldn't go with a real big turbo. I'd rather lose some top end horsepower than sit around a wait for a huge turbo to spool up. Turbo lag sucks. If I ever did get a big turbo I would get nitrous to help out with the low end response. I'd have to figure out a way to shut the NOS off once a certain boost level was attained. We'll just have to wait and see.

Steve

felsmann

Reaction score
City, State
HB, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Sport
I JUST DID!

A week ago I finally gave in, or should I say gave up. I bought a Blazer ZR2. I am still keeping the Explorer unitl the end of the year. then, I will be selling it. So, I'll keep you guys posted on how being on the other side goes (Chevy) I know after this I will probably, finally go Japanese, but I must be fair with the Yanks first!

NedFlanders

Reaction score
Originally posted by 95XLT
i won't be ready for a vehicle for at least 5 years, but I would either consider the new Explorer or if I drive it and don't like it, then I'll go for an Expedition. If I don't like the Expedition, then I'd get a Excursion Limited with the Powerstroke (too bad I won't be able to afford one) :D

Kinda funny... Here the excursoin is actually cheaper than the explorer.. or.. that was WAS cheaper. They've stopped importing the exploerer, cause of some new rules making it too expensive..
ohwell.. guess the new ones weren't REAL explorers anyway.. I like the arctic-truck-conversion on the Toyota Landcruiser.. 35s, bushguard, lift, and mostly everything else I could dream of doing to my explorer...
Dead Link Removed

donkey boy

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Rome, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 WJ
Jeep Grand Cherokee

For replacing the Explorer, the race was down to the Sport Trac or the Jeep Grand Cherokee. I liked them both, but the Jeep dealer was interested in a business while the Ford dealer apparently was not. I liked the concept of the Sport Trac and its interior, and I liked the Solid Front and Rear Axle on 4 coil springs, the Selec-Trac and the 0.9/1.9% financing of the Jeep. Also, the Jeep was available with a sun-roof with the base trim, the Sport Trac was not. At the end, the Grand Cherokee won and I did not regret my decision a second. :D

The specs of my WJ (no pics)
JeepGrand Cherokee Laredo
4.0 liter I-6, Selec-Trac
base trim; only factory options were sun-roof, skid plates and tow package
225/75-16 BF Goodrich Mud Terrain
2" Teraflex lift

I love that car and I plan to kep it for a long time, except maybe if Land Rover brings the Defender back ;)

jimbo74

Elite Exploder
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Nor*Cal
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001, F150, XLT 4x4
i think i would replace it with a new ranger fx4

FROADER

Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Huntington Beach, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Eddie
This is my next car. I'm not going to sell the X just have this as my daily driver and the X for trails.

Dead Link Removed

Audi S4 Avant Quattro, 2.7 twin turbo, 6 speed manual :D

TwoToneX

my pockets hurt
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
broomfield, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
'90 XLT 4x4
I caught on late, but this is what I'd pick if I had enough money and had to sell the X:

1. Honda Prelude, brand new. 200 hp DOHC V-tech engine....mmmmm
2. Explorer Sport Trac. I dig 'em.
3. Dodge Durango 5.9 RT.
4. Lexus IS 300, they are pretty sweet cars.

I love my X though. I just started loving it, too. I've got a good 3 years left with it, then I'll graduate and love a new car
:)

felsmann

Reaction score
City, State
HB, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Explorer Sport
Hurry up with the Prelude, they are being discontinued.

TwoToneX

my pockets hurt
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
broomfield, co
Year, Model & Trim Level
'90 XLT 4x4
When? And why?

a504boi

Reaction score
City, State
new orleans, la
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 eddie bauer
In most wanted order:

1. Nissan Z Concept
2. Lexus IS 300
3. Subaru WRX
4. Audi A4
5. Mercedes Benz S-class
6. 98 Toyota Supra Twin Turbo

thats about it.

Join the Elite Explorers $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Stephen

Moderator In Memoriam
Elite In Memoriam
Reaction score
City, State
Annapolis, MD
Year, Model & Trim Level
'97 Limited
I was actually really dissapointed with the Mercedes S Class as a whole. Its a great looking car, but the build quality, the ride and drive, and the interior quality are lacking. Plus the price tag is rediculous...