what wire/cabels are these, that i broke? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what wire/cabels are these, that i broke?

Ranger379

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
well i just got the rad hoses replaced and new t-stat. got all done and was putting the plastic heat shield thing on the upper rad hose by oil filler neck on the valve cover and i broke this one mystery cable thing, its real thin plastic right behind the filler neck, sorry no pics of it broken ill show u from an old pic what it it.... it has a small suction to it, u can feel it sucking when u hold your finger over it, truck running kinda odd now, like it need more gas to get going, and when u pish clutch in the RPM dont drop down very fast. ALSO when i was puttin the lower hose on i reached down in by the battery and there is this larger cable just hanging lol. its thick, and is a second one beside it, looks like they both run together, they are warrped in a mesh like cover, they run from something underneath the battery and looks like the broken one runs up to the bottom of throtte body? what did i break now? lol it runs ok, but should i still drive it? thanks alot guys

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

#1 Is a vacuum line for something, you need to repair it. It is causing your truck to run funny because you have a vacuum leak

#2 sounds like the hoses for the EVAP canister purge emissions solenoid, you need to repair these two hoses as well, they likely go to the canister vent solenoid which SHOULD be mounted under your battery tray

Pictures will help confirm

Pic #1:
broken1sz8.jpg

Pic 2 is being taken now, cramera is crappy dont get hopes up lol wont be clear but maybe i will luck out and get a decent pic, i dont belive that i broke the second one, it is possible but i dont think i did, thanks for the fast replay 410, does it hurt the motor to be drivin like that? probably just bad idle and bad mpg right?... well camera wont work again sorry, but they are thick, about size of battery cables, the broken one runs up to bottom of TB, 2 of them run side by side and plug into something under the battery. sorry but could you explain waht EVAP canister purge emissions solenoid is and what it does? never heard of it, ill check hayne manual while im at it, thanks

hey 410, i got a new camera so i was able to take pics today, i noticed thatthe one broke runs into something under the battery, and then a small wire (inside a split loom) runs off that, then another chord thing runs from there to the bottom side of TB. heres some pics, would this being broke throw a CEL code, like PO420? thanks

PIC 1: obviosly the broken end, dont know where it was connected at...
1000078nz6.jpg

PIC 2: this is where everything is running to
1000080de3.jpg

PIC 3: this is the other line, hooks to bottom of TB
1000081mh7.jpg

hey 410, i got a new camera so i was able to take pics today, i noticed thatthe one broke runs into something under the battery, and then a small wire (inside a split loom) runs off that, then another chord thing runs from there to the bottom side of TB. heres some pics, would this being broke throw a CEL code, like PO420? thanks

PIC 1: obviosly the broken end, dont know where it was connected at...
1000078nz6.jpg

PIC 2: this is where everything is running to
1000080de3.jpg

PIC 3: this is the other line, hooks to bottom of TB
1000081mh7.jpg

EDIT: ******* computer, edit first post for the third pic but it re-posted, sorry for dbl post

You jacked up your emissions junk

The hard plastic lines (larger) you broke are the fuel vapor control lines, one to the charcoal canister and one to the intake manifold, they hook to a solenoid under the batter that controls when the fuel vapors are purged.

You need to repair or replace these

the vacuum hose you broke is also for the EVAC system I believe from your pic, you need to repair/replace this as well.

You currently have a vacuum leak! Not good...

is the vac leak just from the vac line up by the oil filler neck? cause i half-ass repaired that lol how expensive is it to fix both? thanks for the help 410!

well you are in the middle of nowhere, so junk yards are out?

Its common to break these parts

the vacuum line can likely be replaced with regular rubber hose type vacuum line or even black plastic sprinkler line. I hate the factory hard plastic lines, very brittle

Ford dealer will have the EVAP hoses

Any sort of patch you can do for now (like say with a larger hose over the break) will help

That vacuum line looks like the fuel pressure regulator line. If so then the fuel pressure is too high at idle(rough idle). The engine would stumble a lot.

oh your right! I was looking at the pic wrong thinking V8 front of engine

ya no junkyards around here, i did take a piece of rubber hose and put over the break it somewhat helps. ill get these fixed when i can, could these give me CEL's? im getting PO420 alot i just keep clearing it.

was the code present before the leaks?

A vacuum leak as you have seen can make the truck run poorly, if the one leak is in the line that controls your fuel pressure regulator then its not able to maintain the required fuel rail line pressure and you could be dumping raw fuel through the engine and out the exhaust (more then it can burn) = catalyst code

Bottom line = yes
Without your EVAC system working and manifold vacuum leaks I am surprised you are only seeing one code

raw gas will kill your cat converter, get this stuff fixed ASAP

ok thanks alot, i got a few codes a while back, all emmission related, the most common was the 420. im not sure how long the EVAC hose has been broken, like i said i think it was broke for a while i dont htink i broke it, i just noticed it the day i reaplced rad hoses, also the end was all rusty so must have been broken before. but im getting that code alot more often. ill get em fixed as soon as i can.

i got po420, it was from running lean, and made the cat sense that it had a bad condition

Back