What would a new transmission cost | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What would a new transmission cost

Thelt

Reaction score
City, State
Lenoir, NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 Limited
I am trying to decide if I want to keep my Explorer or trade it in. I am starting to worry about the transmission. It still works fine but has the occasional slow shift. If I keep it and the transmission does fail what kind of dollars am I looking at to have a shop replace it?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Waiting to hear this answer I am in the same boat as you.

I have heard anywhere from 2.5k to 3K+ for a rebuild. How many miles? When was the last time you changed fluid&filter? Most are quick to replace the tranny saying its "sealed" and can't be fixed or worked on.

I had the O/D flashing light of death LOL fixed myself for ~ $200 works better then it ever did. I have 160k+ and I am not easy on it (on my second motor).

I have about 120k on it. I had the fluid and filter done about a year or year and one half or so ago probably 15 to 20k miles back.

Rough estimate I would say atleast $2400, maybe $1800-2000 for a used one.

I have heard anywhere from 2.5k to 3K+ for a rebuild. How many miles? When was the last time you changed fluid&filter? Most are quick to replace the tranny saying its "sealed" and can't be fixed or worked on.

I had the O/D flashing light of death LOL fixed myself for ~ $200 works better then it ever did. I have 160k+ and I am not easy on it (on my second motor).

For $200.00, what did you do to it? :us:

They can be worked on - not having a dipstick is not the same as a unserviceable unit. Many have replaced the solenoid block, and rebuilt/replaced the valve body. Additionally, the servos and bands (plus all other interior parts) can be replaced as part of a rebuild. However, I would probably not go having mine rebuilt, if needed.

I have seen rebuilt units offered for under $1500 on line, and a used low mileage tranny from a salvage yard should be able to be purchased for a few hundred dollars. The labor should be several hours (if not doing yourself).

Additionally, I would not replace a high mileage tranny without replacing the torque converter (or vice versa).

My best guess is around 3K +/- $500 for a rebuilt unit (including core charge but maybe or maybe not including shipping) and torque converter, plus labor to swap them out.

I am hoping mine goes to at least 150K miles, but I am prepared to spend the 3K if needed:banghead:

When my '96 had 118k miles I asked the transmission shop, it was $2,500 minimum to rebuild. He said they see a lot of them for that after 110k-120k.

For me personally, I'd never spend that much money on a rebuilt tranny. I can buy one out of the salvage yard with <30k miles on it for $750. I can install it myself, but even if I had to pay a shop to do it, book time for labor is 6.4 hours, so even labor isn't all that bad. I can't see spending more than ~$1200 on the whole job if I sent it out to be replaced.

Most larger reputable salvage yards guarantee their parts, and in some cases, even guarantee the labor if the part fails within the warranty period. I've hardly ever been let down buying used parts.
I see nothing to gain from having a tranny rebuilt for more than double the amount of money only to keep the vehicle for another maybe 4 or 5 years. A buddy of mine had his tranny rebuilt in his Bonneville less than 4 months ago for upwards of $2000 and now he's already sick of the car and ready to trade it in. All the money he spent on the rebuild is going to get tossed out the window...The car isn't worth one cent more with a rebuilt tranny in it than it is with its original one, provided it still shifts fine.

Back