What would cause the driver window to tilt forward slightly when you go to put it dwn | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What would cause the driver window to tilt forward slightly when you go to put it dwn

unpredictable1

Reaction score
City, State
AB, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer Sport
My driver windows when I click the switch tilts forward in the track away from the rear part of the window frame.

Any idea what causes that? I've replaced the inner rear window guide track because it was broke and that fixed it a good bit. But it still tilts when i go to put it down...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You have the shark fin! My buddys Chevy van did that, we named the van "the shark". His tilted forward about 45 degrees making it look just like a dorsal fin. I can't be of much help though, all I can suggest is start wiggling stuff, something must be loose. Can you take the door panel off and watch it?

broken regulator? glass unglued from the brackets that hold it on?

It was a dorsel fin when I first bought the truck. But after the fix I already did it's 90% better. Now it's a very slight tilt forward.

Everything looked ok when I had the door part. Might as well take it apart again I guess.

If it was a regulator, wouldn't that affect the speed and power of the window going up and down? Not so much the positioning of the window...

How much does it tilt forward? Maybe take a picture of inside your door when you take it apart.

EDIT: Also the regulator isn't just the motor, it should attach to the bottom of the window and have an X shape scissor lift. Check and see if that is in all of its tracks that the wheels go into.

glass unglued from the brackets that hold it on?

^ I vote for this ^ Its probably just the rear mount. Mine did the same thing when I got it.

^ I vote for this ^ Its probably just the rear mount. Mine did the same thing when I got it.

Well, I'll be haulin that door apart again this weekend then! lol

What sort of glue would be a safe bet to use there?

Thnx fellas.

I just used window silicone on my brackets. It's been working fine. Clean out as much of the old stuff from both the front and rear glass and brackets as you can first.

x3 or 4 on the bracket becoming unglued.

They never stick as well again as they did from factory :(. My old 89 F-150 had the same prob; the re-glue (just gorilla glue) lasted a few months then I just got a junkyard window....which did literally the exact same thing about 6 months later. I just ended up never using that window (which made drive thrus tricky in a 2 door truck lol).

Mine did the same thing, replaced the rear bracket only partially fixed it. Turns out my front bracket is bad as well and the best part is that it runs along the front and top so you will be replacing the whole window channel.

Oh yeah and it is a discontinued part from Ford but there was still a few floating around some dealers, was about $120 if I recall.

I think LMC has them also.

i use the same stuff, that glass installers use to install windshields.

kinda of expensive, 10 bux for a time senstive tube that really you only need a small amount. but, if it did unglue.

make sure you let it cure for 24 hrs or so, fully.

mine did the same thing, I noticed the window had come off the rear guide. I got it back on, but now noticed the rear scissor arm camee off the white slider bracket under the window. It looks like a mushroom rivot should pop back into the plastic slider. I've tried a couple times to pop it back in with no success. Is there a trick to this I don't know about? I don't want to break the plastic slider either? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

Back