what would happen if you cut springs on a 4wd..? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what would happen if you cut springs on a 4wd..?

92bodydropped

Reaction score
City, State
fredericksburg va
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 eddie bauer
I have a 92 4wd ex and i dont have alot of money and idc about ride quality because its not a daily driver just my project im putting blocks on the clack and i want like a 4 maybe 5 inch drop. So i was trying to find out what would happen if i just cut my coil springs? PLEASE HELP !

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well

that is the old school way of dropping a ride.

you cut one coil out at a time till you get the look you want

i think if you go lower than 2 inches in the front, you need dropped beams to accommodate changes in castor/camber.

i think im just gonna do it its only 50 bucks to fix if i mess the springs up

lol

After about 2½" it's not gonna go down any lower.... Your axle will be resting on the bump stops (and there is no such thing as "dropped beams" for a 4WD).

You might have a little better luck with a 2WD Explorer (or swapping a 2WD frontend under yours, though you'd then have a 4WD transfercase doing absolutely nothing under there).

I'd sell the Ex and get a 2WD S-10 Blazer or something if that's what you want to do to it.

Cutting springs is stupid. If you cant afford to do a lift or a drop correctly, then you should not do it. Buy a 2wd explorer. You can sell your 4wd explorer and buy a 2wd explorer, then use the extra money you have (since 4wd costs more) to put into your drop hardware.

i know thats the smart thing but my mom gave me the truck and the title is at a loan place so i cant sell it

i know thats the smart thing but my mom gave me the truck and the title is at a loan place so i cant sell it

so a little confused? u say u want to cut a 4x4 spring but yet yours is 2wd?

cutting coils is never really a good idea imho...have done it,

better to clear the title then get rid of it and get a diff project

so a little confused? u say u want to cut a 4x4 spring but yet yours is 2wd?

cutting coils is never really a good idea imho...have done it,

better to clear the title then get rid of it and get a diff project

i never said it was a 2wd..?

if you have 50 bucks to spend on replacement springs once you find out how bad an idea it is to cut your springs, then spend that 50 bucks on paying off the loan on your truck.

Lowering a 4WD Explorer is not a smart idea for many reasons.

Keep it stock height or get the title and sell/trade it for a 2WD model.

The 4WD Explorer can be made to handle really well on the street. Mine has Edelbrock shocks (huge difference over stock) and EE swaybars. It can take corners ridiculously fast and handles great. Not sure if you were trying to lower it for handling but if so, you would just cause problems and it would handle worse.

im just into lowriders and wanted it lowered for looks

Its gonna look like ass and ride even worse. Then you're gonna not drive it at all... Put your $50 toward paying for the truck...

You can drop a 2wd lower than the 4wd. And it will be cheaper. I'll bet you could find somebody local that wants to convert to 4wd, and you two could trade for free.

also, as far as springs go, don't cut them!!! I have done this when I was young and stupid. It was awful for many reasons. the biggest problem was that when you use a shorter spring, you have to increase the compression rate. Handling was horrible, and unsafe. I hit the bump stops so often, they were destroyed in a couple of weeks, and bottoming out everywhere, was... jarring doesn't do it justice.
I will guarantee you will be able to find shorter springs that will fit in the junkyard for like $10 each.

sometimes Tweaked, ya just gotta learn for yourself! LOL

Or you try to convince people not to do things that not only endanger themselves but everyone else on the road.

Or you try to convince people not to do things that not only endanger themselves but everyone else on the road.

I would like you to read your post, then read your signature. Can you say Irony?

I would like you to read your post, then read your signature. Can you say Irony?

yeah.... fail I know. I knew it when I posted it even. But, as one of my top 3 priorities, I prefer not to see vehicles going down the road with unsafe suspension that will lead to an accident or rollover

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

what would happen if you cut springs on a 4wd..?

You would confirm what we are all thinking....you're an idiot.

Back