What wrench to use on the front coil spring nut? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What wrench to use on the front coil spring nut?

yosh18981898

Reaction score
City, State
Chana IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 sport 4x4
Here's a question for all you who have done a suspension lift on a first generation explorer:

What kind of wrench do you use to get the front coils unbolted from the axle beam? I'm going to be putting f-150 spacers on there this weekend so I need to know by tomorrow (11-24-2004). There ain't no way that I'm gonna get an impact wrench in there and it looks like I wont even be able to fit a socket through the coil. So I'm thinking that I should just use an open end box wrench with one heck of a cheater bar. Also, what size is the nut that I have to take off. It looks bigger than any of the open-end wrenches that I have. It's no big deal to go buy a wrench, but I'd like to know what size I need before I start on the project. Thanks

I used a 1-1/8" deep socket and a couple long extensions. I wasn't able to fit a wrench in there, and being able to ratchet makes removal easier.

You will need a 28mm 6pt Deep socket (1 1/8" will work if you can't find the 28mm). You access the nut from the opening in the top of the coil bucket rather than through the coil. As such you will need several socket extensions and a cheater/breaker bar (I would use 1/2" drive due to the force you will need to apply).

FYI. The nuts have been installed with red loctite which will make it very difficult to remove without first heating the nut with a propane torch for 2-3 minutes. Blue loctite is designed to come off by mechanical means, but Red loctite is designed for permanent installation... Heating it to 500F burns off the Red loctite...

Note: The coil retainer nut, coil retainer stud bolt, lower Radius arm bracket bolt, and Radius Arm nut are all 28mm...

OK thanks guys. I have a 1/2 drive socket set, 1-1/8" deepthroat socket, and propane torch. I'll have to go buy some liquid wrench. Thanks for the quick replys.

Back