What X Do I own? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What X Do I own?

WizardOfOdds

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Explorer
How do you tell what type of Explorer is it? Ie. XLT, XL, Sport, Eddie Baurer? Is it just the options that are the diff? Im just wondering cause Im not knowing what type mine is :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well the easiest way is to look at the "Explorer" name plate on the lift gate, underneath it it should say "XL" "XLT" or whatever model it is.

Pat

You should have a badge on the tailgate that tells you, if not:
XL, stripdown, body painted rear pillars, manual windows/locks. This may not apply to all XL's, but it gives you the idea. 2dr or 4dr
XLT, velour or leather, black rear pillars, chrome bumpers and trim, power W/L's. 2dr or 4dr
Sport, Black bumpers/trim, full power. 2dr
Eddie Buaer, leather seats, full power,, chrome with body painted bumper plastic, usually two tone paint. 2dr or 4dr.
Limited, limited rims, limited grill and headlight doors and bumper, leather, woodgrain on some, premium sound w/sub. 4dr
Anybody want to add/edit to the list?

Thanks :) I think I got XLT... Umm yeah the elbelem on the lift gate was taken off before i got it, don't know why? Is it possible to get a replacement?

i have a 95 eddie bauer and i have the sub deal... not sure if that should be mentioned

just want to add from what lil i know the chrome bumper thing depends heavily on the year too i know pre 98 possibly chrome was xlt but after that things like the chrome grill was standard on xlt's and body matched paint was the option, but for thos years the xl were all grey bumpers but it was possible to get painted grilles depending if it was 2dr or 4 door...there was a lot of diferent combinations thoughout the xl,xlt,eb and limited lines

My 94 is the xl 2dr model. It's manual everything, rear defroster and wiper, chrome bumpers body color pilars (black) and A/C. 5 speed manual (suckers :)) electronic shift. But from what I've seen the base model tends to change a bit, different options seemed to be available on the no options model :eek:

Looking up your Vin # should tell you as well.

My 94 is the xl 2dr model. It's manual everything, rear defroster and wiper, chrome bumpers body color pilars (black) and A/C. 5 speed manual (suckers :)) electronic shift. But from what I've seen the base model tends to change a bit, different options seemed to be available on the no options model :eek:

hang on to yours it will be the most valuable one in 10 years.

hang on to yours it will be the most valuable one in 10 years.

Heheheh, I'm afraid we're the only two that think that :D

But yeah, one things is for sure, I'm never getting rid of it, i've never seen another one like and I've put too much work into it.

Can't be 100% on the bumper theory. Case in point, I replaced both mine with black ones. I have an XLT.

I have a 94 XLT with cloth seats. Also, I believe the running boards were standard only on XLTs and above.

Up to now, I thought all 2dr Explorers were Sports. Learn something new every day... :)

Mike

I have a '94 Sport. Power everything except manual cloth seats. Black bumpers, manual factory sunroof and the JBL Premium Sound CD with subwoofer.

xlt's didn't come with running boards on the standard package.

you can really understand the trim package if you have leathers.

leathers without any letters on them =XLT(not standard)
leathers with eddie bauer letters on them =EDDIE BAUER(standard)
leathers with Limited letters on them =LIMITED(standard)

the easiest way is the lailgate which should have your cars trim package.

"xlt's didn't come with running boards on the standard package"

See again your can't say that. My 94 XLT has running boards & no leather.
Ford just did some weird things with 1st gen trims. My 94 has 95+ rear interior panels.(I need a 2nd gen cargo cover) And it's been the 2nd 94 I've had like that.

Meh, I don't know... I thought there would be more distinctive things to tell them apart... Too bad I don't have the embelem on the tailgate to tell :(

Hey, and let's not get into why some 94s have 93 DPFE sensors, or why some 94s have 6-digit odometers, and others have 5-digits...

Mike

Or how Ford decided on gearing. 3.08, 3.27, 3.55, 3.73, 4.10. I've seen all trims have any of these.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It almost seems as though Ford just slapped on parts according to what it had available, other that the really expensive stuff like power doors and and leather. Seems eventhough people have XL versions a lot of optional stuff from other options packages were installed according to quantity in stock. who knows... Mine (XL 2dr) also had the black tupperwear under doors and stuff (which btw killed my rockers) but mine didn't have tupperwear over the wheel wells.

Back