What year Dana 44?

bmxking5

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Monroe, GA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Sport & '96 XLT
I know that most people use the 78-79 Bronco or F150 Dana 44 front axle when they do the SAS. I was talking to a guy who lives in AL and he told me he knows where I can get a 77 F150 front 44 for a nice price in excellent condition. I know that the C wedges are cast on for the 78-79, but they are welded on for below 77 F150 axles. I know that going full-width with the 78-79 axle, I'd need to space out the coil buckets, etc. so that everything lines up. This guy told me that since the c wedges were welded on for the 77 and below axle, I could grind off the weld and move them in enough for everything to line up correctly as if it were in the stock location on my truck. This would mean that there would be no spacing out involved to do this swap. Is this true? It sounds like it's too good to be true, but I haven't really done any research on the axles earlier than 78, so I don't know.

I'm asking you guys, because if it is as easy as it sounds(grind them off and move them in) I will be getting the axle in about 3 weeks. Really wanting to know this because I need/want a d44 BAD. :D I guess if this won't work, I can still get the axle, and just leave the c wedges where they are now and do the same thing to the axle I would have done as if it were a 78-79.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Assumuming the axle is truely a 77 axle everything he told you is true. They are welded on. So cut them off and move them in. The only other thing though is that that axle may have drum brakes instead of disc brakes. Im not sure what year they went from drums to discs.

I'm almost positive that 76(?)+ has disc brakes. It just sounded too good to be true. Everyone talks about having to space out things for the full width, but nobody ever talks about being able to use a 77 (or earlier if they had disc brakes) and not having to space anything out. Thanks for the reply RockRanger. When are you starting the d44 swap on the new Ranger?

If the welded wedges are the same shape/size as the cast wedges, there is only about 1-1.5" between the driver-side wedge, and the pumpkin. There is not enough room there to simply move it in 3" like you would need to line it up perfectly.

I obviously don't have one in front of me to see if this would be true. I do know that many people rotate in the lower coil mount, so that it is in closer for the full-width axles. Maybe I could move in the c wedges and still rotate the lower coil mount...or if that won't work, I'll just space out the coil buckets, etc. and do what I had planned in the first place.

everything he told you is true....

the 77 housing (i have the exact housing in my truck) has welded on c-wedges and CAN be moved in about 3" each side maybe a lil less on the drivers side but theres still room to move it.

the 77 housing has a 1/2" thick tube and are disc braked as well (i have cut down both styles of housings personally).... the knuckles interchange with all the SFA broncos and F150's even the HD 44's spindles out can be used to get you a 8 bolt rim if you go to a D60 rear down the road ;)

i would jump on that deal if it really is a 77 housing just pop the cover off to make sure nothing has exploded inside and broke a bearing cap or messed up the housing.

bmxking5 said:
RockRanger. When are you starting the d44 swap on the new Ranger?

Order the gears and some suspension parts this week. They should be here sometime next week then its on :D I Might even start stripping the front end off tommorow :eek: :D

Cool. Sounds like fun. :D Thanks for the help guys. I plan to get some more money and then hopefully buy it in 2-3 weeks. :bounce:

anyone know anything about a 1991 f-150 front axle? i found a connection on an f150 minus the motor for $500. thanks, todd.

It's a Dana 44 TTB.

oh, not so good. alright, thanks anyways. todd.

Back