What year did ford switch to the SOHC 4.0 ? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What year did ford switch to the SOHC 4.0 ?

jfman

Reaction score
City, State
Georgia
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 manual tranny
What year did the explorers stop being pushrod with the 4.0's ?

Also, can you install a manual tranny from a pushrod 4.0 on a SOHC bottom end ?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The OHC was introduced in '97. But not used full-time until 2001 I believe when the OHV was discontinued.

I believe the OHV manual(Mazda M5OD or something like that) will bolt up to it.

So 96 was the last year of the OHV 4.0 for explorers ... ?

no, 2000.

IAmTodd said:
no, 2000.

Agreed. OHC came out in '97, but OHV was available for a while and was standard fare on the XLS trim and was definitely available on the Sport. I had a '97 Sport with OHC and the dealer didn't have any in stock, just the OHV. I had to factory order.

So from 97 to 2000 ford was offering both motors....

Ok... NOW

Can you install a tranny from an OHV on an SOHC motor ?

Anybody know for sure ?

I found a really nice an cheap 98 with sohc that has a blown tranny and want to put my tranny in it.

Go for it. The 4.0L OHC was definetly available in the Ranger with a 5 speed. But I'm 99% positive that OHV and OHC have the same bolt pattern.

Yes they use the same trans in the trucks from the factory regardless of OHV or SOHC, 97+

I am putting a 97 OHV engine into a 95 Explorer and I had to purchase a SOHC style flywheel, spacer and bolts. The 97+ OHV engine has the same pattern on the rear of the crank where the flywheel bolts up (8 bolt pattern) This is the same flywheel the SOHC uses, so this tells me they made the change to the 97+ OHV to match the new SOHC.

Now with that said be CAREFUL, even though they are physically the same transmission they may not be controlled by the computer the same.
For example on my 97 5.0L drivetrain the trans has a DTRS (digital trans range sensor) well this 96-97 version of the DTRS sends an analog signal to the computer, where as the 98+ actually is a digital signal. The wiring pins also changed locations slightly in the trans plug.
So just be careful, you may have to use sensors from the 98 trans in your trans to make it function correctly.

I was going to convert it to a manual tranny... I called and it was sold. It would have been a cheap way to be driving a cleaner rust free explorer for cheap but oh well..

Back