what year motor can i use?? HELP QUICK!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

what year motor can i use?? HELP QUICK!!

tawd77

Reaction score
City, State
kansas
Year, Model & Trim Level
Ok, I just bought a 97 Ford Explorer 4x4 with the 4.0 Vin E engine. The engine is locked up. So, Its time for a used motor. My questions are...

what years and model explorers or other vehicles have the exact 4.0 engine that i need?

What years/model explorers or other vehicles have a 4.0 with an interchangable longblock? Longblock meaning, same block/heads. Maybe throw my intake and accessories on a newer 4.0??

And finally, i read only the 4x4 has a balancing shaft. So, I HAVE to have an engine from a 4x4 correct?

PLEASE HELP QUICK> I NEED AN ENGINE ASAP!! THANKS A BUNCH!!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

is it an sohc or an ohv? its best to stay within the same model year because some of the model years had slight changes that might make the whole harness and ecu unusable to the new engine

I have a 2000 OHV in my 91. If you are going to put a newer OHV motor in your truck, then I would try like jimbo74 said and stay in the same range year. I would think that 96-98 or 99 are pretty much the same but not sure. Worse case just move over all your electronics. The flywheel should not matter. I am using the 2000 flywheel on mine because the bolt pattern is different on the crank. Search on engine swaps there is a lot of info out there.

97-01 4.0L OHV will work, retaining your 97 intakes, sensors, and computer.

410Fortune said:
97-01 4.0L OHV will work, retaining your 97 intakes, sensors, and computer.
So that said, why not 91 and up? If you are just swapping sensors and stuff, then all the OHV motors should work.

thats right all the OHV engines can be made to work, but I personally would stick with at least 95+ as the heads got some good upgrades. Also the crankshaft bolt pattern for the flywheel changed after 95.
When looking for a new engine I try to find the latest model I can with the fewest miles, typically those go hand in hand.
OHV 4.0L's are PLENTIFUL in the junk yards, from Rangers, Areostar and Explorer, You can find 97-01 versions with approx 100K miles for $4-500, complete, so why work backwards and use the 91 and 93 TM blocks? The 95 TM block has all the updates, stronger heads, etc.

tawd77 said:
Ok, I just bought a 97 Ford Explorer 4x4 with the 4.0 Vin E engine.
what years and model explorers or other vehicles have the exact 4.0 engine that i need?

VIN E = 4.0 SOHC Engine
VIN X = 4.0 OHV (pushrod) Engine

You will need to find another SOHC engine unless you want to transplant air intake, manifolds, engine harnesses, PCM, etc from an OHV.

Also, I believe that you are correct - the 4x4 has an extra balance shaft which is run off of one of the camshafts, so you would want to find an SOHC from a 4x4 if possible.Edit: It runs off the crankshaft, not the camshaft

97 was the first year for the SOHC, it is still offered in the new Explorers, but I don't know what changes may have occurred on the newer models. You should be ok with 97 -01 as a minimum.

OOps. :)

hahaha 97-04 SOHC 4.0L replacement, you will have to keep your 97 fuel rail, intakes, etc.

OHV intakes will not fit a SOHC.

You guys were all fixated on the OHV, but he has an SOHC. :D

dogfriend said:
Blah blah blah OHV what? :p

Yea I would never use an older motor unless I knew it was a fresh rebuild. And yes the crank bolt pattern is differnet but, that does not matter since you will just retain the flywheel/flex plate from the newer motor. That was the one thing that stayed with my 2000 OHV when I put it in.

dogfriend said:

Yep, sorry i didnt state that. Its a SOHC. So, anything 96-01 will work in longblock form as long as its an E vin code, and it has a balancing shaft correct?

What years would be an exact swap meaning having the same intake, sensors etc...?

And finally, What does the balancing shaft do, and why is it needed on the 4wd models?? Thanks alot for all your help!!!

97 - 01 (they didn't offer it until 97)

The balance shaft assy is only on the 4x4. It is supposed to smooth out vibrations from the engine. I don't know why Ford decided that the 4x4 needed a balance shaft, but the 2x4 didn't.

Attachments

• balshaft.jpg
    balshaft.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 233
  • sohc1.jpg
    sohc1.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 225
  • sohc2.jpg
    sohc2.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 208
  • sohc3.jpg
    sohc3.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 228

more

Attachments

• sohc4.jpg
    sohc4.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 210
  • sohc5.jpg
    sohc5.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 227
  • sohc6.jpg
    sohc6.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 223

and more

Attachments

• sohc7.jpg
    sohc7.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 229

Ok, Got another question... Do I have to have a balancing shaft on the used motor I buy to put in this 4x4? I have located an engine, but its from a 2wd. Its an E engine code. Will this work, or is the balancing shaft actually NEEDED on the 4wd model? Thanks

Don't know. I have the OHV engine in my truck.

[speculation] I think that you don't absolutely need to have it, because it appears to be an add on to the basic engine. Also, if you found out that you had to have it (or you really wanted to have it) you could probably take those parts off of the engine you have right now and add them to the 2wd engine that you are buying [/speculation]

dogfriend said:
Don't know. I have the OHV engine in my truck.

[speculation] I think that you don't absolutely need to have it, because it appears to be an add on to the basic engine. Also, if you found out that you had to have it (or you really wanted to have it) you could probably take those parts off of the engine you have right now and add them to the 2wd engine that you are buying [/speculation]

Thanks for the reply. Anyone else know for sure if the balancing shaft is required for the 4wd application? Thanks

required? I doubt it. the frame and transmission have no idea if there is one or isnt one. Sop if your new SOHC does not have one I would not worry about it, in fact I would be thinking "one less thing to deal with"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Can anyone tell me with 100% certainty that i dont need a balancing shaft? Here is the motor I found, And i will be going to get it tomorrow if it will work. it is a..

2000 Explorer
4.0 SOHC Vin E
from a 2wd (no balancing shaft)
48k miles
$600

I will have to swap intakes and maybe a few little things from my broken motor onto this motor as its newer, but if thats all I gotta do I will buy it. Let me know, Thanks!!

Back