What years transmission compatible with 2011 - 2019? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What years transmission compatible with 2011 - 2019?

Road1

Reaction score
City, State
Sparks, NV
Year, Model & Trim Level
2017 PIU, Polar Paint
<Edited thread to make more generic>

I have a 5th-gen FPIU with some transmission issues.

If I decided to just replace the trans, which models/years are directly compatible?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

3.7 -- and the listing seems to be for 3.5. Is there a difference in the trans for these?

... I do not know enough about the V6 six speed transmissions to help, I apologize if I confused anyone with incorrect assumptions.

I'm hunting a low mileage V8 version so I have browsed several times on eBay. Prices are still high and calling around to local sources may be the best solution.

The V6 engine uses the same transmission(6R80) given compatible model years, but the V8 uses a different trans(bell housing is completely different shape). I think the 4cyl also uses that same six speed automatic as the V6's, looking at the front shows a perfectly round bell housing face. For 2017 they hadn't changed to the 10 speed yet, so I'd guess any V6 trans from 2014-2017 will work, I have seen mention of 2012-17 also advertised in eBay ads.

I'm hunting a low mileage V8 version so I have browsed several times on eBay. Prices are still high and calling around to local sources may be the best solution.
According to the link I posted above, the transmission used is 6F55. I'm not aware of any 5th gen Explorer using a 6R80.
"Explorer. 3.5l. 6f55 trans. Awd. Without turbo. Police interceptor. 3.7l. Explorer. 3.5l. 3.65 ratio."
The smaller 2.3L I4 uses the 6F50 transmission.

Peter

According to the link I posted above, the transmission used is 6F55. I'm not aware of any 5th gen Explorer using a 6R80.
"Explorer. 3.5l. 6f55 trans. Awd. Without turbo. Police interceptor. 3.7l. Explorer. 3.5l. 3.65 ratio."
The smaller 2.3L I4 uses the 6F50 transmission.

Peter

I'm sorry Peter, I thought there were two basic six speed transmissions, not counting the prior internal controller versions(prior to 2012). I'm likely very wrong about the official designations(6F55 etc), I zeroed in on the later(2015+ etc) six speeds for my two potential swap projects. I will not comment again about the smaller six speed models, clearly there are more of them than I imagined. I plan to transplant a 2017 or newer 3.7 and 6R transmission into my old 98 Mountaineer, as a DD spare SUV that I can experiment with.

I have a 2017 FPIU with some transmission issues.

If I decided to just replace the trans, which models/years are directly compatible?

Go to car-part.com. Fill in your data, and the website will give you compatible vehicles, and the locations and prices for the parts.

Back