What's a good shop for 1993 Explorer antilock brake valve rebuild? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's a good shop for 1993 Explorer antilock brake valve rebuild?

Joe Dietz

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Littleton, CO
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 EB 4 Door
My anitlock brak valve module has 250k on it and I am considering getting it rebuilt...
What shops have folks had good success with? Or did your rebuild it yourself with some kit?

thx,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

theres good speed shops here but no clue about colorado

If it ant broke just fix it till it is

John  Candy.gif

I saved the ABS module from my 93 Limited in about 2005, I don't know right where it is in my full garage at the moment. If you are not in a rush, I might find it in the next couple of months. My 93 had 112,622 miles on it, I have the cluster also, but not much else. I have most of the wiring intact, but that too is buried in a box I'm sure.

Can the module sit dry for years or will the seals rot from that? Maybe plugged up so no fresh oxygen getting in?

That is a great question. I had my old 91 ABS TEVES(Mark VII) system stored in my shed in 2001, and I gave it to my best friend for his 90 Mark VII that had high mileage. That worked fine but he had already swapped two spare units he had on hand(he had owned five Mark VII's and I just had two at the time). We parted out all of his stuff(about seven cars IIRC), and my first Mark VII.

So I would be concerned about any used hydraulic system to reuse. Used injectors will dry up the fuel and cause issues, for sure. I worry about what to do with my 98 ABS when or if it malfunctions. Having electronics work done now is tough, for OEM radios, EATC, a compass, message center etc.

^ Yeah that's something I may face at some point. Hydraulically can just delete the ABS pump, but still want to have a working speedometer and wonder if driveability is affected if the PCM doesn't receive the right, converted signal too... though I once had the ABS module fuse out and what little driving I did, didn't notice a problem *yet*.

I could just unplug that rear diff. speed sensor for further testing but I hate to disturb brittle old connectors if I don't have to. If the ABS module board fails, would need some kind of adapter/signal-converter or something.

Heh, I suppose if a day ever came when I had nothing else to do, could rig up a way to measure the frequency of the VSS out in relation to speed, and then the VSS in from the rear differential sensor, and make some kind of graph... if I did that while it's still working. Gotta be some data on the internet about this, maybe in a Bronco forum or something.

Jamie here is most familiar with the Dakota Digital device made for conditioning a speed signal to properly convert it to work with the speedometer and PCM. He's installed those on several swap vehicles to get around the rear ABS sensor not working directly to the PCM etc. I think it's very similar to the old speedometer calibration device that used to be sold for about $100. That was just a four wire with pin boards inside device, to alter any speedometer signal to correct for error. I have one of those I put into my 91 LSC when I swapped to 3.73 gears.

Back