What's a Military Family Worth? by Rush Limbaugh | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations
  • Register Today It's free!

What's a Military Family Worth? by Rush Limbaugh

Campo

Elitus Explorus
Reaction score
City, State
White City, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4x4
I got this email from a friend of mine stationed in the middle east..

I don't know if anyone has seen this or if it is true that he said this, but I thought you all might like to read it...

What's a Military Family Worth?
by Rush Limbaugh, March 11, 2002

I think the vast differences in compensation between the victims of the
September 11th casualty, and those who die serving the country in uniform,
are profound.

No one is really talking about it either because you just don't criticize
anything having to do with September 11th.

Well, I just can't let the numbers pass by because it says something
really disturbing about the entitlement mentality of this country.

If you lost a family member in the September 11th attack, you're going to
get an average of $1,185,000. The range is a minimum guarantee of
$250,000, all the way up to $4.7 million.

If you are a surviving family member of an American soldier killed in
action, the first check you get is a $6,000 direct death benefit, half of
which is taxable.

Next, you get $1,750 for burial costs.

If you are the surviving spouse, you get $833 a month until you remarry.

And there's a payment of $211 per month for each child under 18. When
the child hits 18, those payments come to a screeching halt.

Keep in mind that some of the people that are getting an average of $1.185
million up to $4.7 million are complaining that it's not enough.

We also learned over the weekend that some of the victims from the
Oklahoma City bombing have started an organization asking for the same deal
that
the September 11th families are getting.

In addition to that, some of the families of those bombed in the embassies
are now asking for compensation as well.

You see where this is going, don't you?

Folks, this is part and parcel of over fifty years of entitlement politics
in this country.

It's just really sad.

"Patriotism is not a short and frenzied outburst of emotion but the
tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime."-Adlai E. Stevenson, Jr.

Every time when a pay raise comes up for the military they usually receive
next to nothing of a raise.

Now the green machine is in combat in the Middle East while their families
have to survive on food stamps and live in low rent housing.

However our own U.S. Congress just voted themselves a raise, and many of
you don't know that they only have to be in Congress onetime to receive a
pension that is more than $15,000 per month and most are now equal to be
millionaires plus.

They also do not receive Social Security on retirement because they didn't
have to pay into the system.

If some of the military people stay in for 20 years and get out as an E-7
you may receive a pension of $1,000 per month, and the very people who
placed you in harms way receive a pension of $15,000 per month.

I would like to see our elected officials pick up a weapon and join ranks
before they start cutting out benefits and lowering pay for our sons and
daughters who are now fighting.

"When do we finally do something about this ??"

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

rustytr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Leadville, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
Sorry about the language use, but it's bullshit that military families have to live the way they do while the assholes in congress live like fat cats, same with the families of the attacks, when will it be right?

RedBeard

Reaction score
City, State
North Georgia, USA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'95 XLT
It wont be right unitl people demand change. But these days, people have too much to deal with already to spend the time, money, and energy on sweeping changes. Its sad, but true. Slaves to the grindstone. As long as most Americans have their TV, fastfood, and air conditioning, they're content.

-RB

addkev

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Eastern NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Explorer
I saw this a while back, yeah, there are some disparities in some things, but that is life. You can't buy life insurance that will cover you in an act of war, other than what the military provides for us. But nobody joins the military to get rich or become famous, we just have that calling, like the millions of Police and Fire Fighters - we do it because we love it and we are proud to serve. And we are glad you guys are behind us, 30 years ago we weren't too popular.

Diff Whack Daddy

And the Roll Over Posse! Under the Hood Moderator
Elite Explorer
Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
City, State
Mount Vernon, WA
Year, Model & Trim Level
1st Gen XLT 4dr
Callsign
KG7VTT
Unfortunately us military people can not demand change as that would be considered mutiny or possibly treason depending on how you go about it. Did you know that being in the military revokes your right to sue the government. Not that I really care because I am not big on most of the law suits that are filed anyway. I am a career Navy person and yes, the pay sucks, but it is getting better. Hopefully by 2010 when I retire they will get all the problems solved.

addkev

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Eastern NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Explorer
Campo, did you get that email I sent you?

FrankRizzo

Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Los Angeles, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
330 XLT
I was in over 4 yrs. - U.S. Army
My wife (yes, Wife) has 19yrs. (15 reserve).

You look at things differently after someone has been shooting at you....

Campo

Elitus Explorus
Reaction score
City, State
White City, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 XLT 4x4
addkev.. Sorry but no I didn't get the email..

I only spent 5yrs in the Army, My father retired after 24yrs. so I've spent most of my life affileated (sp?) with the Army. I knew when I joined what the pay was and the conditions.. It was something I always wanted to do since I 5... I enjoyed the Army and don't regret anything about my time served and am proud to say I served...

Dolphan

Reaction score
City, State
La Mirada, CA
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 Limited
THANK YOU to all our men and women who have served our country.

Congress also gets SS even though they don't need it.

This is an article in the Washinton post about politicians who lost money on Enron, it also talks about which ones disclosed their finances, several are Millionares

On Capitol Hill, Enron's Fall Was Felt at the Personal Level
Financial Disclosure Statements Reveal Losses by Several Lawmakers

Enron Corp.'s collapse last year hit members of Congress in a couple of places: where they make policy for the nation, and where they make -- or lose -- money for themselves.

The fall into bankruptcy by the Houston-based energy firm ignited high-profile hearings and a broad debate over corporate responsibility. Meantime, it quietly clipped several lawmakers who sold or held Enron stock as its value plummeted, according to financial disclosure reports released yesterday.

Each member of Congress must file the reports annually, and they provide a rare peek into legislators' personal lives. They reveal not only their assets and stock trades, but also what gifts they received and money they earned on the side. While members tend to be worth much more on average than their constituents, the reports show they are not immune to Wall Street's vagaries.

Sen. Mike DeWine (R-Ohio) lost at least $20,000 in Enron stock trades. Sen. Jon Kyl (R-Ariz.) bought 185 Enron shares for more than $1,600 and sold them for $125 the day after the company declared bankruptcy.

Rep. Joe Barton (R-Tex.), who chairs the Energy and Commerce subcommittee on energy and air quality, bought $4,500 worth of Enron stock last fall when its shares were worth $9 and its prospects for a merger with Dynegy Inc. were bright. By the time he sold the 500 shares on Dec. 31, they were worth $895.

Barton said yesterday he still has "more than I want to admit" in Enron stock, and noted that his son Brad -- a financial analyst -- warned him against the investment.

"I showed I could lose money with the best of them," he said in an interview, adding that he had learned his lesson. "It shows the market works, and the market goes up and the market goes down." Other Enron losers included Rep. Jim Kolbe (R-Ariz.), Rep. Carolyn McCarthy (D-N.Y.), Rep. Gary Miller (R-Calif.), Rep. C.L. "Butch" Otter (R-Idaho) and Sen. Phil Gramm (R-Tex.).

Enron owes Gramm's wife, Wendy, between $500,000 and $1 million for serving on its board of directors. By contrast, Becky Whetstone -- wife of Rep. Charlie A.Gonzalez (D-Tex.) -- lost only $30 in a series of Enron stock transactions that began in February 2000 and ended by August 2001.

Some lawmakers suffered their losses elsewhere. Rep. Johnny Isakson (R-Ga.) lost money in Qwest Communications and Global Crossings investments. Both companies tanked amid allegations of impropriety.

On a broader scale, yesterday's disclosures reinforced the Senate's image as a millionaire's club. While lawmakers are compelled to list their assets only within wide ranges, the rough approximations provide a picture of their means.

Sen. Peter Fitzgerald (R-Ill.) reported between $26.3 million and $52.8 million in assets, while Sen. Mark Dayton (D-Minn.), a department store heir, holds as much as $13 million.

A few Democratic presidential contenders listed healthy portfolios as well. Sen. John Edwards (N.C.), a former trial lawyer, has at least $7.3 million and possibly as much as $33.6 million, most of it in a blind trust. Teresa Heinz, the wife of Sen. John Kerry (Mass.), has assets exceeding $500 million.

Sen. Jon Corzine (D-N.J.), a past chairman of Goldman Sachs who spent tens of millions of dollars to win his seat in 2000, reported one investment held in a blind trust worth at least $50 million. He valued four others at between $5 million and $25 million each. In August, his wife Joanne sold their Park Avenue condominium for at least $5 million.

Lawmakers do not have to disclose the value of their salary, federal pensions, primary residence, or checking accounts and savings accounts worth less than $5,000. That leaves some House members with little to report.

Rep. Bill Thomas (R-Calif.), who influences trillions of dollars in federal funds as chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee, listed no assets or liabilities. Prominent liberals Cynthia McKinney (D-Ga.) and Lynn Rivers (D-Mich.) did the same, while fellow progressive Rep. Dennis Kucinich (D-Ohio) listed more in loans than in assets.

"Government of the people occasionally means that some representatives may, in fact, just like their constituents, live paycheck to paycheck," Kucinich said. "My constituents are my assets."

For the most part, House and Senate leaders are not nearly as rich as most of their rank-and-file colleagues. House Speaker J. Dennis Hastert (R-Ill.) reported between $405,000 and $1 million in assets. House Minority Leader Richard A. Gephardt (D-Mo.) holds between $134,000 and $610,000 in 26 stock funds, but owes between $65,000 and $150,000 in student loans for his children.

House Majority Leader Richard K. Armey (R-Tex.), who is retiring this year, listed no assets but reported a line of credit at Wells Fargo Bank ranging between $15,000 and $50,000.

The recent ascension of House Minority Whip Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) has dramatically boosted the House leadership's overall wealth. She reported assets of at least $23.2 million.

Much of Pelosi's wealth stems from her husband, Paul, an investment banker. Pelosi, known for showering her aides and colleagues with gourmet meals, frequently quips at the outset, "Thank God for Paul Pelosi!"

Pelosi's assets include not only her D.C. waterfront apartment, worth at least $1 million, but also a $1 million to $5 million investment in the Napa Valley resort Auberge du Soleil; money in a golf resort; stock in Salon.com and Guru.com; and homes and investments in two Napa vineyards worth at least $6 million.

Even less wealthy members found ways to earn extra cash. GOP Conference Chairman J.C. Watts (Okla.) took in $21,357 last year by performing ministerial duties and Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman's wife, Hadassah, made $328,000 giving speeches to Jewish audiences. The Leibermans are writing a book about the 2000 presidential campaign, for which they've received a $13,500 advance.

Other Senate authors included Paul D. Wellstone (D-Minn.), who received a $20,000 advance for "The Conscience of a Liberal: Reclaiming the Compassionate Agenda." Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) received $67,000 in royalties for his family history, "Faith of My Fathers."

Sen. James M. Jeffords (I-Vt.) received a $125,000 advance from Simon and Schuster to write last year's "My Declaration of Independence," which explained his decision to quit the GOP, as well as an autobiography set for release this fall.

Several politicians took star turns last year, according to the disclosure reports. GOP Sens. Charles E. Grassley (Iowa) and Orrin G. Hatch (Utah) received $1,000 each for their cameos in the movie "Traffic." Sen. Kay Bailey Hutchison (R-Tex.) pocketed $1,000 for her appearance in the made-for-television movie "The President's Man."

At least six House members -- Otter, Harold Ford Jr. (D-Tenn.), Jack Kingston (R-Ga.), John Mica (R-Fla.), Juanita Millender-McDonald (D-Calif.) and Loretta Sanchez (D-Calif.) -- appeared on the comedy program "Politically Incorrect" and subsequently donated their honoraria to charity. All but Sanchez received $500 for being a guest. She reported getting $1,000 each for two appearances.

Lawmakers also took pains to describe some of the more unusual gifts they received. Senate Assistant Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.) received an intricately hand-woven leather whip from Eleanor Volkmar, an old friend. Rep. John Shimkus (R-Ill.) listed more modest gifts, including a right-hand garden glove and two packets of sunflower seeds.

Rep. Sanford D. Bishop Jr. (D-Ga.), who got married May 26, 2001, received a waiver from the House ethics committee for reporting gifts worth less than $260. The panel urged Bishop, however, to "exercise caution in accepting any gift that likely would not have been offered but for your status as a Member of the House."

The reports also provided an epilogue for the travails of Rep. Gary A. Condit (D-Calif.), who lost his seat after his relationship with murdered intern Chandra Levy became public. He sold his Adams Morgan condo last year, netting between $50,000 and $100,000.

Senior White House officials also filed disclosure forms yesterday. Karl Rove, Bush's senior adviser, sold at least $996,000 in stock on June 7, 2001, three weeks after Bush had announced his energy plan. The sale included at least $50,000 in Enron stock.

Rove's sales included stock valued at $100,000 or more in Intel Corp., Johnson & Johnson and the former USA Education Inc. (commonly known as Sallie Mae) and Wells Fargo & Co. A senior administration official disclosed the sale at the time, and said Rove had wanted to sell his stocks earlier but had been stopped by the White House counsel's office.

diablo5969

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Versailles, KY (Home) Poughkeepsie, NY (School)
Year, Model & Trim Level
2004 Honda Pilot LX
I think it's rediculous that victims of 9/11 got any reimbursement from the government. I'm really sorry that they had to die, but I don't see how they're lives are worth any more than mine. If I were to die in a plane crash tomorrow, the government wouldn't give my family anything. They died in a plane crash in September, and the government gives out millions. It's a ludicrous (sp?) idea

addkev

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Eastern NC
Year, Model & Trim Level
'11 Explorer
Look at Oklahoma City, they didn't get anything.

rustytr

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Leadville, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Sport
But they are suing to get some green.

addkev

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State