What's Best Way To Remove Rust Stains from License Plate? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's Best Way To Remove Rust Stains from License Plate?

JAZNY

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2013 XLT
I plan on transfering my old plates to the new Explorer when it arrives. Bolt rust stains on one plate look bad, but not nearly is bad as the new orange and black Halloween-theme New York plates would look.

Are there any tips out there to remove rust stains from license plates?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Have you tried WD-40? Or do you mean you want the rust completely off?

I tried WD-40 first, and it seemed to get some, but not all. Have you had success with WD-40? This is just a stain from the bolts, so I was thinking there must be some not-too-aggressive way to get it off. I also have naval jelly, but do not want to risk pulling off the finish.

I just found this list from the ALPCA http://www.alpca.org/faq/cleaning/
Many options more than I have time to try, so I hope someone has a favorite one that works well. Looks like I have some research to do on this ALPCA site now.

you can give CLR a shot it has always worked for me to get rust stains off

This stuff right here! Works wonders!

Got the streaks off my rear window from the studs, rust stains off my running boards, etc:

31v6liPqtxL__SL500_AA300_.jpg

Whink Rust Stain Remover

Unless they are "personalized" plates, just take them to the DMV, turn them in and ask for replacement plates, as your current ones are damaged/defaced. If they give you a hard time, tell them a cop pulled you over because the rust stains made it hard to read your plate. Yeah, it'll be a new number, but it shouldn't cost you anything.

Unless they are "personalized" plates, just take them to the DMV, turn them in and ask for replacement plates, as your current ones are damaged/defaced.

I think he wants to keep the old style design/color and new plates would be the new one.

Id want the old style too! Your new plates are hideous.

Exactly. Since the've gotta be on the vehicle, I'd at least like to see them blend in a bit.

I can't stand the fugly new plates. I'm keeping my truck under my parents insurance just so I can keep the good ole' blue and white ones.

Once you get the rust off, use stainless steel fasteners. Most likely whatever the Explorer comes with is not stainless. Take one out and go to a hardware store to find the right size/thread. I like Ace Hardware for fasteners.

Thanks for the suggestions all.
Whink worked perfectly. Stainless fasteners are next.

Whink rocks. Fo' sho' :)

Back