whats involved in installing fog lights? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whats involved in installing fog lights?

i just got a makin grille guard and i want to get a pair of fog lights (most likely amber hella 550's). my dad and i are wondering how difficult it would be to install them since we haven't done anything like this before. the reasons we want to do this is because we dont want to pay the $75/hr labor rate at our mechanic (very goog service btw) and we want to do something by ourselves.
thanks for any help.

-ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It's not too hard to install fogs. If you buy them as a kit, they usually come with all the wiring you need and instructions. You can also go to KC Hilites to look at wiring diagrams.

thanks for the link. also how hard is it to thread the wires from inside the engine bay to the dash where the switch will be, and how bog a hole and what kind of tool do i need to make the hole? thanks for the info.

-ken

On my '01, I ran them through a hole I drilled in the firewall with a cordless drill. I sprayed the hole I drilled with a rust prohibiting coating, and put a rubber grommet in the hole (you can get one at a hardware store). The hole size you need is dependent upon the grommet you put into the hole. I think I did a 3/8" hole for two sets of wires.

ahhhh!!! drilling bad!! :) for me, i just looked where the cable for the hood release came through. the grommet that was there covered a pretty big hole for my 97. i just got a coat hanger and made the hole a bit bigger and ran the wires through there. no problems. i've been in some pretty deep water in which i've almost stalled after and no water came in, so i'm happy too.

thanks for the info friend. i'll pass it along to my pops and see what he wants to do.

-ken

i got hella 4000 on my manik grill guard. :eek: It looks pretty sweet.

or you can wire the lights in the an existing circuit and mount the switch under the hood. if you don't mind always having your fog lights on when your stock fogs or on or your headlight are on or whatever you run them with then all you have to do is splice in and just mount the switch right in the engine bay. then whenever that circuit is on they'll either be on or off depending on where you left the switch. be careful to use proper fuses adn make sure to mount the switch in a position where it won't get too hot.

neat idea, but i would rather control it from inside. i have a question for all you guys who did your own installation on your '91-'94's. what is the easiest and best place (your opinion) to place the switch? thanks for your help.

-ken

I just put a set of elcheapo blazer dual fog lights in my 94. they look good but i need to trim the wires. If i can get my dad's digi camera i will post any pic you need. On my ex, i put the switch below the factory rear wiper controles are. I just drilled a hole, then took a saw and cut to the proper size ( measure first please, it is not fun to screw up on your dash) .

Two ideas,

1. To put the wires through the firewall, there is a plug about the size of a silver dollar directly beneath the brake master cylinder. It is just a rubber plug, so it can be pulled up or a bit can be cut out of it.

2. The switch can be mounted under the dash by getting a straight toggle switch and drilling a hole vertically through the front lip of the dash under the steering wheel. If you feel under the front there should be about an inch of material to drill through. Very hidden and neat.

thanks again guys. you have really been helpful. also, matt, can u post a pics of what your lights look like and tell me how well they work.

-ken

Yea sure can. just give me a day or so to get the digi. camera

Back