• Register Today It's free!

Whats is this thing?

mjs232

Reaction score
City, State
Havertown, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 XLT
It was there when i got my X and i have no clue what it is for. Any help? Dead Link Removed

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Page Not Available

I think its part of a dealer alarm or something

I'm thinking it has something to do with a post-factory installed alarm system.

OH?? I do think i have the factory alarm because i have the THIEFT light that blinks and stuff and the alarm acts like the factory one, however i was screwing around with it (the alarm) and was unable to turn it off by pressing the unlock buttons. I had to put the key in the ignition to stop it. The X also didnt come with the keyless remotes so maybe your rigth? Anyway i could find out for sure?

The key in the ignition thing is normal for a stock alarm, mine won't turn off with the remote either.

Originally posted by Alec
The key in the ignition thing is normal for a stock alarm, mine won't turn off with the remote either.
yeah, mine is like that too, but i think they changed it in 99 because my friend can turn his off by the remote

If I accidentally hit "panic" then I either have to wait for it to shut off or turn the truck on.

Mine will turn off if you hold the Panic button for a few seconds and it's a 95

Vehicle locator/Panic button - alarm option

The panic button has been changed to a vehicle locator and is now a factory option. I have used it many times at the Oakland Coliseum when I can't find my vehicle... just press the car locator button and follow the sound to your vehicle.

I believe you can turn off your audible vehicle locator by pressing the button a second time.

Anyways, back to the point of the thread.....That looks like one of those disabler dvices where you insert a special"key" into the thing pictured to activate the ignition.

Obviously it was disconnected before selling the vehicle....

Originally posted by Crankcase
Anyways, back to the point of the thread.....That looks like one of those disabler dvices where you insert a special"key" into the thing pictured to activate the ignition.

Obviously it was disconnected before selling the vehicle....

I agree. Look at the wires behind it. if they are not hooked up then someone probably lost the "Key" and disabled that. You can't start the engine without that "Key" in unless someone disabeled your mistery Item. I'm pretty sure that is what it is. I can't see why else there would be a hole in it. Looks like you need to stick something in there.

Hope this helps

Andy

Back