Whats it worth?!?

Soundguy01tx

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Katy, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT
I have located a 96 Explorer XLT for sale in my town. I called on it and I actually know the guy, he was one of my instructors at College... oh well... nuf about that...
Its a 96 XLT, V8, Auto, Leather, 6CD Changer, replaced the AC system recently, 17in Cobra Rims, 3in Catback Exhaust, Bilstein shocks... (makes me wonder if he got on here and read what to do to it - lol)
He started out asking 9 grand, and is now down to $6,500. He has had it for sale for at least 4 months that I know of (I saw it at the begining of the semester at the school). It has 113,000 miles . What do you think? Worth it? What is it worth if not $6,500? BTW, it is lowered 2inches (TT & Blocks).
Heres a pic:
Dead Link Removed
--bryan

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My first response is that its worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it ;) :D

It sounds about right, but it also depends on what your local area is paying for a similar truck in similar condition. I would see what the asking price is for other Explorers in the local classified ads and see how it compares. You should also look at edmunds.com to see what the estimate is there too.

Im planning to go drive it in the morning. My first inclination is its a bit high, but then again, the others out there dont have Bilsteins, CatBack Exhaust, K&N Air Filter, or the Cobras... know what I mean... but then I think, hell, hes had it 4 months and needs to unload it... hmm... any other comments?
--bryan

Those are the 96-98 Mustang GT rims, there we're two different Cobra rims in those years, the 98's used a newer/more aggresive version of the 95' Cobra R's and the 96-97 had that kinda weird oval spoke rim.

With that many miles you could probably get a little below 6500 even with his mods, that's if he'll sell it that low cause he's really not going to get any more for it with those miles, he'll most likely get offers below 6500.

Saleen, thats what i was thinking. Hes had it for sale for 4 months at least, and who needs an extra Explorer sitting in their driveway? I mean, besides one of us who value and appreciate them. lol. If I remember correctly, he removed the Explorer emblem off the back and there are 2 small holes, Ill double check tomorrow tho. (thats a few hundred off) and high milage (more $ off), and oops, its lowered, never sell a lowered truck and expect to get market value, raise it back up... lol... oh the fun I shall have figuring out all the quirks with it.
--bryan

If you don't end up getting it, I'm pretty sure you could find another 5.0 Ex/Mounty with lower miles for 6500 or less..........oh yeh...slap him for telling you they we're Cobra rims also lol:D .

What kind of exhaust does he have???

Not sure, Ill find out in the morning. Im going to guess Gibson, bc this guy seems to stay true to the "popular?" mods. K&N, Mustang Rims, TT lol all the regular, "Im an explorer owner who surfs the internet" mods lol... :)
--bryan

Ok so I drove it. He has the Flowmaster dual in single out exhaust on there with 3 in pipes. Sounds nice and beefy (dont know if i like that). Also, its got a 6cd changer by alpine w/remote, tan leather, 1 yr old A/C system, and its the AWD V8. And yes, the 17in Mustang rims. Drivess well, handles good, engines seems ok, and he is willing to go as low as $6,000. He still owes $7,900 but hes willing to take the hit bc he knows the Explorer market sucks bc of the A)oversaturation of them B)firestone scare crap C)He needs to sell it. What ya think?
--bryan

I ran it on www.edmunds.com

1996_Ford_Explorer_4 Dr XLT AWD Utility
Color: Red
Mileage: 113,000
Condition: Clean
Zip: 77546

For a private party sale:

I got $6354 for Outstanding condition (perfect)

$ 5825 for Clean condition (good but not perfect)

Seems to me that you are at a fair price for it.

BTW - The mileage adjustment is -$1047, so the miles are considered high for the year of the truck. I wouldn't be too concerned if everything else is in good shape.

There is a dude on this board that has a truck exactly like that...i cant remember who he is but it was for sale a while back i think.

oh yeah, he has been on the board before... not sure of his name, but he got on a while back and asked about edelbrok vs. bilstein. the guys on here directed him towards bilsteins. interestingly small worlkd huh?
--bryan

Also keep in mind that any type of modification lowers the value of the vehicle, it does not raise it by any means. I would get him down to at least $5800 seeing Dogfriend's figures.

Also, from the picture I can see some oxidation in the paint, and the black paint on the b pillar is slightly faded. MOST vehicles fall into the "clean" category, not the perfect.

I'd offer $5800 and take it if he agrees, but get the truck looked at by a independant mechanic FIRST before you buy it.

Ya know what sad.
The first thing I noticed in the picture is how thick and plush and green the grass is !!!!!!!
yeah I know crazy , but with Marylands long dry summer and it is now winter is has been quite some time since I have seen green grass.

Okay this is my saddest post ever :(

Yeah, his lawn is pretty plush.

Don't worry, spring is right around the corner. Just a couple of months from now youll have green grass too.;)

$6k sounds about right. if thats what you want, i would get it.

do you have any future plans for it? leave it lowered? change the wheels? etc.?

grass stays green around here... hehe... and as far as what I would do... Id leve it as is for a while, and then probably go ahead and lift it. Just one of those time will tell things. And right now, Im considering just fixing mine. The A/C needs to be fixed, and my suspension makes weird noises, but other than that shes good. And I like that shes paid for :)
--bryan

seems like a pretty fair price to me, especially if its pretty clean inside & out, look for rips and whatnot in the leather, check the fluids and such and make sure he takes good care of it, look it over and all that im sure you've done....just be ready for future maintenance, sounds like a good deal to me

WHAT!!!

GRASS HAS DIFFERENT COLORS!!!! :eek: I only know green sorry guys a california thing. Of corse we have alot of tis other surface too. Concrete!:mad:

Back