What's the average miles per tank? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's the average miles per tank?

darrellx14

Reaction score
City, State
Leesville, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
1993 xlt
i've searched for threads on this, but only found ones regarding miles per gallon and such. But how many miles on the average do people go on a full tank of gas? Because i recently just started driving my explorer and my fuel gauge doesn't work, and right now i'm at 160 miles and i really don't wanna be left out of gas. So what is the average everyone is getting? my friend has a 2wd 92 but he drives pedal to the floor all the time and only gets 170 to a tank, and i drive more reasonibly w/ the occassional wheeling on the weekends.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

haha i dont have a gas gauge either, well i have one that doesnt work. i usually fill up at every 100 just because i dont like to pay a **** load for gas, and you should top it off when you dont have a guage. i have gone 280 and been fine, i usually get around 19 mpg though

wow 170 miles dam...I am 17 and the worst MPG i have ever gotten is 10 and that is 200 miles + a little I usually get around 250-300 per full tank

In the winter I get around 260 miles per tank mostly short trips in town. In the summer I can get over 300 miles out of a tank if I keep my foot out of it.

I noticed that without a functioning gas gauge, filling up after 250-300 miles is the most reasonable time to do so. Eventhough you can get over 300 miles on most days, you never know when your truck might be encountering an issue where a loss in fuel effiecency is involved, which in turn may leave you stranded.

Trust me, twice this winter ive ran out of gas at 309 miles, haha... when normally i get upward 350. Its because my truck is running too cool, causing the ECU to run rich mixtures.

200miles.

The MOST miles I have gotten is 340. But I usually fill up @ half tank..... And that's at about 150 miles (+/- 30 miles)

Ryan

ill get around 180 or so per tank, but thats with 33's and 3.73's

Avg for me is 145 in NYC and 225 on highway trips maybe 300 if i coast a lot. I wish I could figure out the problem lol.

I get around 275 - 300 when the gauge is on E. The only problem I have is that when my guage is on E and I fill up I only put in 16.5 to 17.5 gallons....and I know that I have a 19.somethin tank. Has anyone ever experienced this before? maybe I have a bad guage or a bad sending unit??

Also, after adding the BBK throttle body and the MAF sensor and the 4.10 gears, I think my mileage actually went up (I'm assuming its because I dont have to have my foot to the floor to gain speed)....then again maybe its all in my head, I dunno

You guys getting much over 250 miles per tank in town in a 1st gen in winter, I'd sure like to know what you have done to get that kind of mileage.

i fill up at a 1\4 and its at 200 miles. how do you guys get 300?

if like to know whats goin on too, i never get over 200. ANyways, it makes sense that with a BBK TB and new MAF and 4.10's that you ought to get better milage, if you wernt id be worried.

i have an 01 4.0L and i get about 19 mpg mixed driving, around 17,18 in the snow. and about 270 miles my gas gage is in the lower half of the last quarter so i fill up then. try calcuating your MPG then useing your gas tank capacity to find a safe milage to fill up or top off.

200 miles per tank...tops, it used to be 260 two years ago. I have no clue what happened.

my gas gauge is broken in my 93 explorer and i usually never go more than 250 miles before i fill up again. it cant go much longer than that.

240 is the best i have ever done

i usually fill up a little before the red zone but i pray for a time when i will see 250 miles come out of a tank. usually i am 210 i drive heavy on the pedal i have a 5.0 liter 1997 with 275 70 16s once i was running on the highway at like 70-90mph for a few hours and i was getting 250 and a little extra full tank

I usually fill up at 1/4 tank and that is about 250 mi.That's with a pretty even mix of city / highway use.

well, i went ahead and filled it back up today, i got 235 miles out of it, but i have a feeling i could go even more... but while i was fillin it... i decided it better take more days to put up 235 miles... because i just filled up saturday night

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gas Milage

Hi I was reading your post about the gas Milage, I just recently purchased a 93 ford explorer and i'm loving it. On a full tank of gas I get about 300 milles until the needle hits empty. I'm confused because the vechicle has a 21 gallon gas tank but when I fill it up it only fills up at about 16,17 gallons. I'm wondering how much further I can drive without running out of gas, I've been to scared to drive further for fear that I might get stranded. I drive this vechicle About 50 miles to work and 50 miles back home. For a vechicle that's 19 years old I'm amazed with the gas Milage compared to other vechilces nowadays which is not to far off. This vechicle has no bounds it does everything real well, the most expensive thing Ive had to repair right now was the transmission, I had that replaced at 171 thousand miles. My future project that I'll be working on will be rebuilding the a/c and converting it from R12 too 134A . My question is, "Can I do this my self?" I'm pretty good at fixing things but this wil be my first Time doing something like this.

Back