• Register Today It's free!

What's the best option for a sub?

eXploder1015

Reaction score
City, State
Wichita, KS
Year, Model & Trim Level
1992 XLT
I've got a 1992 Explorer that has, well had the JBL audio system. I've replaced the HU with an Alpine CDX-9872, the front door speakers with 5X7 Infinity 6822's the rear door speakers with Alpine SPS-57C2's. The factory sub in the back blew soon after installing these speakers and i want to replace it. I was just wondering what was the best way to go to get a good sub without spending too much money and whether or not i should replace the factory amp?

Any helps appreciated.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What are you looking for? A little thump, or a wake-up-the-neighborhood system?

I just want something that sounds good but it doesn't need to be ridiculously loud or expensive...

If you don't mind, how much are you looking to spend? If you are just looking for something cheap, you could get a Lightning audio 10" sub from walmart--I have one (it's actually what I am using now, since I made my old box out of 1/2" MDF, and it ended up cracking and I haven't made a new one yet), it sounds pretty good, but if you have the budget for something better I would do that.

Well the thing is i don't want to get something thats only for an Explorer cause i'm just in high school so i don't want to put too much money into somethign that i might end up selling in a few years... i was more of wondering if putting in another 6.5 inch sub would be a good way to go or if there's any other easy ways to put a sub back there without taking up too much storage space

I was looking to spend probably less than $250 or so if i could...

when i first started working my ystem i got a tube with the amp already in it,

just don't remember what brand off hand.

Ok, so it is a good idea to put in an aftermarket amp to help power a sub?

I carved out a 91-94 OEM enclosure to make room for an 8" sub...

th_roughopening.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/explorer sub/roughopening.jpg

th_Solobaric2.jpg

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/explorer sub/Solobaric2.jpg

The rest of my system is stock. At first, my "Budget Bass" project was under $100, for enclosure, amp, sub. Upgrading the sub and amp blew that though :shifty_ey

I carved out a 91-94 OEM enclosure to make room for an 8" sub...

th_roughopening.jpg

http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/explorer sub/roughopening.jpg

th_Solobaric2.jpg

http://s24.photobucket.com/albums/c4/toypaseo/explorer sub/Solobaric2.jpg

The rest of my system is stock. At first, my "Budget Bass" project was under $100, for enclosure, amp, sub. Upgrading the sub and amp blew that though :shifty_ey

That looks so nice. I see RCA cables tucked in there...do you manage to mount your amp in that space to? Still using the factory amp??

Do not buy anything from wal mart...it sucks.

If you want some low end fill I'd suggest an 8 inch sub ported and a small amp.

Can be had for under 250 easily.

Actually Elemental Designs is having sale on their 13Ov.2 subwoofers for 70 dollars each. Best sub you can buy for the money. It is a steal.

ok that looks like a good way to go maybe... But how do you get the trim off to get to the factory amp? i've broken a few of those round plastic clips trying to get them off and i didn't know if there is some special way of doing it...

When I told my Ford mechanic neighbor about me attempting removal, he loaned me a Snap-On soft grip panel removal tool. It slides under the head of the plastic panel "Christmas tree bolts", and makes removal of them easy, with less to no damage to them. This saved me time and headaches.

Snap-On_ASG185A.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back