Whats the best way to remove the crap off my wheels? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats the best way to remove the crap off my wheels?

I have a 98 Mounty that has the chrome (looking) wheels and they have brake dust and (rust?) on them. What's the best removal method? Someone mentioned Magic eraser sponges........

My wheels were pretty crappy when I got my X. There was a lot of crud but no rust. The previous owner hadn't cleaned them in a long time. I used the Sonic Scrubber Pro Detailer (got it at Wal Mart about $20) and regular auto wheel cleaner. It did a great job and the best part is that you don't kill yourself scrubbing.

picture.php

I don't know what you can use to remove the rust. I guess it depends on how bad the rust is.

Here's what my wheels look like now:

picture.php

Hope this helps out and good luck getting those wheels clean. :salute:

The Meguiars All Wheel cleaner is borderline toxic :) but does very well- I think a good quality cleaner plus a good brush or the scrubber Rondo posted will get them clean... It'll just take some elbow grease.

I removed some ceramic brake dust off 03 OEM Honda Civic alloys using straight Simple Green and some dollar store "Scotch Brite style" pads that I had previously used in my kitchen for dishes. These pads are not even close to how aggressive real Scotch Brite pads are.

152656.jpg

I removed some ceramic brake dust off 03 OEM Honda Civic alloys using straight Simple Green and some dollar store "Scotch Brite style" pads that I had previously used in my kitchen for dishes. These pads are not even close to how aggressive real Scotch Brite pads are.

152656.jpg

Ha ha, that was my plan before I got the Sonic Scrubber. I even bought the pads. Oh well, I use them for cleaning in the kitchen & bath. I am really impressed with how well this thing worked. :salute:

Back