whats the best welding rod to use? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

whats the best welding rod to use?

ExplorerJimbo

Reaction score
City, State
Knoxville, TN
Year, Model & Trim Level
01 Explorer XLT
I have a clarke 131 arc welder 120v and I cant seem to find the right welding rod. anyone able to help?

heres the info on it:

Operates from standard 110V circuit.
Variable amerage control for accurate welding power control.
Includes hand held face shield and chipping hammer.
Automatic thermal safety switch prevents overload.
Weld all carbon steel.
Uses 1/16'' or 5/64'' electrodes.
Simple to operate and portable.

Weight: 34 lbs
Working Range Amps: 40 - 100
Amps Peek: 130
Circuit Breaker Recommended: 25 amps
Input voltage / phase: 110 / single
Electrodes: 1/16'' & 5/64"
Heat Settings: Variable
Duty Cycle: 30% at max output
Max Metal Thickness: 1/4"'
10/2 - Year Limited Welder Warranty

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Different rods do different things. 7014 is the standard versatile rod. Easier than most to run. Use the thinner rod for thinner metal, thicker rod for thicker metal.

Try these 6011 to 6014 softer rod but easier to learn with welds will still be harder than mild steel

Try these 6011 to 6014 softer rod but easier to learn with welds will still be harder than mild steel

6010 and 6011 is what i used in school when i learned to weld. welded thinner metal and thinker metal, just changed the settings. i used one of the big Lincoln welders, dont remember what model....
i would try 6010 6011 something like that. good luck

yeah. i've tryed all 3 of those rods mentioned. i think what it is is that my welder i just bought isnt strong enough. so... back to the store with it and i think im just gonna get a real good mig welder!

thanks for the help guys! :thumbsup:

Mig > Smaw.

Yea but TIG > (mig+ Smaw)

Yea thats right, better then mig + stick put together :D
Unfortunately, not everyone has the budget for GTAW.

BUT fortunately, I can't think of anything on an off-road rig that requires a GTAW. High-Ni SMAW is sometimes required for welding on cast (differential housings, knuckles, etc..) but GMAW covers pretty much the rest.

On my B2 build which has extensive amounts of welding. I have access to arc, mig and tig and have used all three somewhere along the build. If you count hours with each one. Mig first. Arc second and Tig last. Could easily done it all without any Tig. And besides, some of my joints that were not perfect, that arc made up for it.

On my really heavy stuff like front coilover shock mounts that support all the weight of the truck and the built extended front radius arms I opted for arc all the way. Talk about penetration.

TIG is only really necessary for aluminum and high strength applications.

6010 for any thicker stuff, 7018 when you need high deposition (gaps, filler) or thinner stuff.

6010 if you welding on dirty stuff, it really helps blow the crap outta there.

TIG is also crucial for food, medical and aerospace applications. Stainless, titanium and other exotics.

x2 on the 7018 <-- that electrode is amazing.

And if you are doing mutiple passes, say a root pass with 6010 and filler with 7018 make sure to get all the slag outa there before you weld on top of it. That will makes your welds look alot better and stronger.

But ditch the 110v ASAP.

And make sure you keep the rods from open air, and all other kinds of moisture. The only time you want a wet rod is in the bedroom.

I've been burning 6011's with my tombstone.

If you look around you can get a 220 lincoln (tombstone) for cheap. I got mine for 60 bucks I think and it works great...but then again, these things are very simple so they tend to hold up from what i've seen ;)

If your rods do get wet...you can dry them out in the oven from what i've read. My wife wouldn't be too happy with me though I think lol

You're suppposed to keep rods in an oven anyway.

For really dirty/rusty metal, a 6014 will work better than a 6010.

we have an old freezer that works really well, anything airtight will work.

Yeah, my buddy uses an old fridge.

i've been happy with 6013.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Jimbo...see my entry in the "Lets Talk welding rods". Should be near or at the top of this thread.:thumbsup:

I agree with getting a 220v unit. The Lincoln "tombstones" are a dime a dozen but they are a very good/verstile machine. I think most require a 30 amp 2 pole breaker...I can tell ya how to wire it up if ya need the info...I just put a 50 amp sub-panel in my new "built-from-scratch" (not a kit) 20'x24' garage... worked 2.5 years at Ho Depot in the electrical section (Dept 27)

As a general rule, the thicker the coating on the rod the easier it is to use.

6010-6011: Best for rusty/dirty steel..."freezes" quick...good for all positions

6013-60/7014: Good for fairly clean metal...less spatter than above rods.

7018: Low hydrogen...a must-use for structural apps , cold rolled steel or med-carbon steel...keep dry!!!

Hope this helps!

Mike.....USAF--17.5 years...2.5 to go!:salute:

Back