What's the cost of replacing the spark plugs and fuel filter? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's the cost of replacing the spark plugs and fuel filter?

explorerxlt

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 explorer XLT SOHC
I have a 99 ford explorer xlt v6.0. There is trouble with start sometimes especially in Winter. I want replace the spark plugs and fuel filter. How much does the change cost if I go to garage?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Give your local Ford dealer/shop a call...they'll be happy to quote you a price for parts and labor. But ya ought to do the job yourself...not that hard.

Depending on how many miles are on it, you should consider doing the wires as well.

shop rate now-a-days is what, $90/hr or so?
I think that's a good guesstimate of the avg.

and of course, they charge by book-time. If the book says changing spark plugs will take 2 hours, you'll get charged 2 hrs labor, even if it takes them 1 hour. Plus the premium cost of parts, if you also get the plugs and fuel filter from them.

I am a noob with car mechanics and I changed my fuel filter in ten minutes. Please do not pay someone to do that. But yeah for new plugs your looking at 2 - 3 hours of labor at a shop plus they mark up the parts. And your going to want wires unless you for some reason did those recently and skipped the plugs.

Labor is free is you diy!
I don't like to pay someone to do something that I can do myself...

Well I've done plugs in most vehicles I have had with few exceptions. Accessibility is the only thing that drive me to a mechanic on that job. I just had my fuel filter changed by my mechanic though since lying on a cold drive and having gas belch all over me is not fun. Those slip over connectors are not fun to get off even with a tool. The mechanic had a struggle and when they come off gas is right behind it. We both got gas on ourselves. It wasn't worth it to me especially in the winter and only do that change once. I had a look at my 02 sport in this V6. The driver side is no problem all clearly accessible. The front two on the passenger side could be fun (one or two knuckles might bite the dust), but the rear one is blocked by the heater/AC blower section. That will certainly take some doing to figure out. I am sure someone already has but I never done them yet. Vehicle runs fine and start without a problem. I might pull a plug or two in the warm weather just to see how they look and decide if a change is required first.

I changed mine on the 97 sport through the wheel well, you just turn the wheel all the way and get in there it's not "that" hard, took me ~2hr between spark plugs, wires, oil, oil filter and antifreeze

On the 02 I did them all from the top, IIRC, also not that hard, took me less than 1hr between spark plugs, wires, oil, oil filter and antifreeze

if you change the fuel filter make sure all fuel pressure is discharged and there are no exposed light bulbs anywhere around your work area. Discharge pressure by locating the schrader valve on the fuel rail, and depressing it with a small screwdriver wrapped in a rag. Other tricks are leaving the truck overnight or pulling the fuel pump fuse/inertia switch connector when its running.

Also, the fuel filter can be tricky to get off if you have the spring lock connector. You may need both the plastic and metal tool to get it off. A bit of PB blaster in the fitting helps.

If you don't do this expect a fuel shower when you crack the fuel filter line. Don't trivialize the fuel filter job, it is fine to do but understand there is danger involved and precautions have to be taken.

As for spark plugs, to minimize the chance of breaking off plugs you should spray pb blaster around the threads of the plugs for a few morning before you do the job. Then drive the truck. This will allow the heat of the engine to soak oil into the threads and break any rust.

Getting to the plugs thru the wheel well is the way to go. You may need to remove the plastic well liner, but once you do it's all right in your face.

Thanks a lot for your guy's important information. Actually I am living in an apartment so it is a little bit colder outside right now. I called a garage shop whose owner sounds like a honest guy. The lab fee is about $70/hour. I can buy the parts I wanna change. It will cost me at least over 100 bucks. However, I am more encouraged by your guys and decided to replace them by myself. I plan to replace them one by one considering my situation. Yesterday I just finished the change of rear wiper motor, which has not worked for long time. I got a remanufactured part from autozone at the price of 35 bucks. It took me only about 30 minutes.

Just remember to start the plugs by hand. EG tread them in a couple of turns (2-3) and if using the socket with or without the extention crank them by hand as well first by working the extension shaft by hand. Then put the ratched on. You'll only be able to feel if the thread is lined up or cross threaded by starting them by hand and its also much faster than the short through you get from swinging a ratched. If you cross a plug hole you'll curse everything in site and this is no time of the year to mess it up. Personally I would not try the fuel filter myself. I have done a lot but a skid plate need to come off and its up a ways on the side of the frame by the transfer case. A shop and re and re it in 30 or less and Murphy will be there making sure it does give you a really good fight. My mechanic charge me $25 for the swap and he got dosed in gas as well.

Cheers

Back