What's the deal on front brake hose end fittings? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's the deal on front brake hose end fittings?

RangerX

Elite Ranger
Staff member
Elite Explorer
Reaction score
City, State
Omao, Kauai
Year, Model & Trim Level
'93 Ranger XLT 4X4
I need to replace a front brake hose that has a leak. I have aftermarket braided stainless hoses on there for years and years, and I don't remember what the stock hose end looked like.
My question is, is there a reason my passenger side ends at the caliper with a banjo fitting, and the driverside ends with a fat rectangular block?
I don't see why they are different, it looks like either type would work on either caliper.
Are they different on stock hoses?

This is on a TTB D35 axle, so it all should be the same as a 1st gen Ex, if that helps you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My aftermarket lines had square blocks on both sides. I don't remember what a stock hose looks like.

..I had my extended braided lines matched to my stock lines so I would have trail spares..(still have them somewhere around here..:shifty_ey )

...On my 95 Ranger I have blocks on top and banjo's at the calipers on both driver/pass sides..(first year with dual calipers)

..The shop that did my lines does literally hundreds of brake lines for Rangers and told me I had to bring my old lines in as they are a variable part ...:dunno:

After further thinking on this, I believe I bought a set of extended braided lines from Superlift (in 1996), and then some time later damaged a front line, and had a new one made at some shop that made them under the Earl's name. I think that's how I ended up with the one banjo and the other block. So I'm guessing that either type will fit and work fine.
There's one business here that could make one, but won't if it's for an street legal vehicle. :(
So he's getting a price for me from some place off-island.
Ted, I may need the name of that shop you used!

I ordered two new hoses from G&J, thanks Ted for the link. They were very helpful on the phone, and the hoses seem top quality.
Here's a pic of the new ends next to the old. I went with the block instead of the round banjo that I had, as that thin round wall is where the leak happened.
Question is, these came with two copper washers per hose, do I put one one each side of the block, when bolting it to the caliper? Seems like the washer on the inside would keep it from fitting flush...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    130.1 KB · Views: 376

Yes, washer on each side is the seal. Don't over-tighten or you will crush the washers and get another leak. What I did / do with the banjo type double copper washer fittings is; Tighten until you can feel it start to compress the washers. Bleed brakes. If it leaks, tighten slightly. Repeat until it seals. I do this because I have a habit of over-tightening everything.

Nice lines. It looks like the line is removable so you can just replace the block or the line if they go bad.

Thank Brian. Yeah, they gave me the option to have removable ends.

Late to the party, but...

Bill - look in my build thread. Post 483 shows the Russell brand hoses and hose ends. I also used Earl's banjo fittings on the calipers.

Scroll down a few posts, and you can see the lines installed.

I realize that you already have hoses, but someone may be interested in assembling them as I did.

Back