What's the difference between Mercon and Mercon V transmission fluid? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's the difference between Mercon and Mercon V transmission fluid?

speleopower

Reaction score
City, State
cocoa bch
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Aerostar
Recently I did a trans fluid change along with a new filter.
I've been changing the trans fluid every summer for quite a few years.
Immediately after changing the fluid this time my van started coming out of drive for a couple seconds. The engine will rev up if I give it gas like it is in neutral. A second later the transmission catches and away I go. This only happens one time after starting up and driving in the morning when the van is cold. It can happen again after the van sits all day at work.

What I just realized it I have a 1997 with and automatic transmission and it is supposed to get Mercon V. I checked the ATF fluid bottles I got and I was sold Mercon not Mercon V.

What is the difference between Mercon and Mercon V. I'm planning on draining my transmission and replacing it with Mercon V tomorrow.

Thanks-Scott

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

You could add a friction modifier instead of draining the fluid. Lubegard makes one for this purpose. You could keep the fluid in there with the additive, but in the future always remember to use Mercon V ATF.

Ok thanks. In super simple terms Mercon is more slippy than Mercon V.
I changed out the trans oil/filter yesterday to Mercon V.
Hopefully it wont' slip out of gear anymore.
-Scott

mercon is real trans fluid,

mercon v is synthetic,,

it calls for synthetic as it has the lubricity and friction qualities required by the auto trans ,,
like slipping or gripping clutches,,

i know this post is kinda old, but maybe my question can be answered. i have a 92 xlt that has had tranny fluid leaking out slowly for the past few months. i have been going to walmart and buying supertech dexron/mercon fluid. it doesn't say its rated for mercon v. if i did a fluid change and put in mercon v, would that maybe stop the leak?

oh. :( i thought maybe that would help. i took it to a local trans shop and they think its the front pump seal based on the leak being between the engine and transmission. would putting in a bottle of lucas treatment help it? i don't make much money, so i am trying to figure out all possibilities to fix the tranny.

Back