What's the difference | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's the difference

Normally this seems obvious to me but currently I'm stumped.

I just got my roof rack basket and it's time for lights. So I start looking and can't belive the prices and price differences.

For example, I know Wally World has all kind of "junk" lights for $30 or so.

I know the 4X4 sites sell, PIAA, Hella, IPF, KC, Pro Comp, etc. but what the real difference.

I'm sure a good part of it is quality which I understand and can pay for, but what's the difference between a 55W cheap-o and a 55W name-brand?

Also when looking at Wattage vs quantity do two 55W lights = 1 110W light?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

2 55 watt lights dont = 1 110 watt light due to the parabolic reflectors/angles nad such of each respective light

you pay for quality and sometimes a warranty

I figured 2 55W don't = 1 110W but now the questions is, Is it worth $100 per light when I can get two for $30ish?

I don't see myself NEEDing them. It would be nice to have more light when backing up and night wheeling sounds fun, other than that I probably would only use them camping, when setting up in the dark.

sometimes they charge more for the color...sometimes they charge more for ease of instilation and finally for construction the cheaper ones usually come with hookey bolts and such while the more expensive ones come with better equip..i guess..

im sure theres differences in the output how much..couldnt tell u

check out the wiring harness each set gives you, piaa makes the best, with all the
fuses, relays and switch included. while some of those $30 ones you might have to
find a separate kit for another $30 so now you're at $60 and whoops the harness
didn't have the proper guage wire and the wire overheats and keeps burning relays
and fuses. you don't have to buy piaa but at least compare the harness if you don't
see any othe difference

Also lenses, housings, reflectors, etc. Higher prices often = better quality and better light.

However, sometimes cheaper lights work just fine, you just gotta know what to look for.

Personally I would look for something with lifetime warranty. I've had KC Lites and when they needed replacement after 5 years I sent them back to the manufacturer. Within two weeks I got brand new replacements for the rusted ones I returned without questions. They were two 55-watt KC Lites with all the wiring harness and brackets for $89.

like everything in life, you get what you pay for. PIAA's and KC's and IPF's and so forth cost more, but the quality of the light will be much better, more durable, more bright, and longer-lasting then something you'll pay less for. Also ease of installation, etc.

I have had a couple pairs of Explorer Pro Comp lights for over 5 years now and they are great lights for the money. The 100w lights that I have put out the same light as other more expensive KC and PIAA lights that I have seen. They are built good also, with rubber surrounds and are easily taken apart for service. Although I still havent had a bulb go out on me yet. For the price I think that the Explorer Pro Comp is the best light for the money. I have the 6" 100w round lights.

ive got the same lights as tex and i dig em too!

oh, btw about the pro comps...the finish on mine is oxodized already! i gave them a few coats of wax and they shined right up but lost their finish again quickly. i have probably had them a year and they are already oxodized. not cool...maybe ill paint them...

Other than posted here I havent' heard anything good about pro comp lights

What was suggested to me on another board was to buy farm implement lights and replace the bulb in them

In my situation I don't need to worry about damaging them since they will be quite protected in the basket. Plus with the cost savings I'll be able to play around with different styles to see what works best. The only thing I've been told is better with the higher $ lights is the mirror finish on the reflector.

We'll see how they work.

My black 100W and 130W ProComps were great!

Back