Whats the first thing that has cracked, broke or scratched in your EXP? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats the first thing that has cracked, broke or scratched in your EXP?

spitfisher

Reaction score
City, State
New England
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Explorer XLT
This isn't a " son of a female dog " session, no car or MFG is perfect......

Well with almost 20,000 my wind shield has a small crack in the high passennger side corner, very small crack.
Next and this is what prompted this thread I went to close the driver side rear window from the drivers seat and the metal tab and a small piece of plastic literally fell off. i rarely use the back windows, due to the buffering effect. I just looked at it, and said WTF?

I hope the window switch is covered, the EXP is adult owned.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

When I picked it up from the dealership there was a small scratch on the back plastic bumper. Dealership attempted to repair it and eventually took off more money from the price of the vehicle.

Other than that, nothing so far.

I find the texture of the material in the cargo area is prone to scuffing from objects that rub it, especially the finer texture up high on the D pillar. We had a big box (cardboard) back there and as it moved around through turns and such, it bumped the side a couple of times and left unpleasant scuffs. It was disappointing to see, as I would hope the materials in the cargo area would be designed with abuse in mind. I think it would have been a better idea to keep the coarsely textured plastic used down low running all the way to the headliner.

Other than that, the interior materials are holding up well (except for a driver seat that is wrinkling a bit. Gosh, I hate leather!), and we are pleased.

Took delivery July 5th of a 2013 EcoBoost. Did'nt see the Factory paint flaws on the hood and top. Dealer did not acknowledge or disclose the paint prior to delivery.... Luv the vehicle, but Fords "fix" is unacceptable to the wife and I. Trying to work this out, but at this point I don't think Ford really cares much about their customers satisfaction....best rgards Plum

First day I picked up the car (custom ordered) and there was a scratch above the driver's door. Dealership tried to fix it but its still there... they offerred to repaint and I told them no...I'd rather have scratched paint that actually holds up then aftermarket repaint that will fail later

Also the 2nd week or so we had it I put a bike in the back (with a sheet around it) and still managed to scratch the plastic sides in 2 places.

Well, B pillar, front passenger door, outside black cover, has a scratch about !/2 inch, not deep and in the rear cargo area, cover for the accessory plug, let it open while removing the cargo area protector when i was about to unfold the 3rd row seats nd was snapped out. Cover is still there and working. Other than than, nothing else compared to my 2009 Ford Explorer EB that was totalled with 2450 miles 3 yrs ago.:(

Mine is black, I buff out scratches almost weekly. Will never buy black again. My Ex gets abused, every day the back is full of boxes. The sides and ceiling of the cargo area is fairly beat up.

And the top of the rear bumper gets destroyed from the dog jumping in.

Mine is black, I buff out scratches almost weekly. Will never buy black again. My Ex gets abused, every day the back is full of boxes. The sides and ceiling of the cargo area is fairly beat up.

And the top of the rear bumper gets destroyed from the dog jumping in.

Have you thought about having a clear bra installed on the top of your bumper to protect the paint? At least when the clear bra is trashed, you could peel it off and i stall a new one.

Nothing. Have had my Ex almost a 1 1/2 years and so far so good. Of course it spends most of its time in the garage. I knew Vince would have a comment if I didn't add that last part. :D

EDIT: If by 'broke' you also mean 'failed', then I would have to add that I had a right front sensor go bad and it was replaced under warranty.

Peter

Had the explorer for 11months.... And i had to change out the windshield due to a massive rock chip on far top passenger side that started to develop a crack along the middle of the windshield.. One day it had cracked from top passenger side to middle of windshield by the rear view mirror....couple days later the crack extended to driver side....now that i had windshield replaced...i have the freakin A pillar wind noise again!!!!! Arghhhgg

Have you thought about having a clear bra installed on the top of your bumper to protect the paint? At least when the clear bra is trashed, you could peel it off and i stall a new one.

I put the bmc bumper guard on it.

Nothing. Nada. Zilch.

Unless of course you count MFT, which was broken from Day 1 and still isnt' 100% :D

I put the bmc bumper guard on it.

Oh, ok. That's cool. I bought one of those but haven't decided to pit it on or not since the finish quality is terrible on it. The lower lip is full of air bubbles and when I tried to get rid of them, new ones just appeared elsewhere. It is a good idea with just retched execution.

Driver's side, rear door. Just noticed some %$#@@#$ but a nice dent in the lower crease. AKA "door ding".

Oh, ok. That's cool. I bought one of those but haven't decided to pit it on or not since the finish quality is terrible on it. The lower lip is full of air bubbles and when I tried to get rid of them, new ones just appeared elsewhere. It is a good idea with just retched execution.

I put my top bumper guard on, its black , the ex is white. It looks good. i also put it on in a manner the apex of the curved pad is very close to the leading edge of the bumper, making it next to impossible for anything to contact the upper surface area of the bumper.

Maybe Ill post a pic rather than explain.

A few nicks in the front from rocks hitting it, and a few "stars" in the windshield, and lots of scuff marks on the lower plastic panels from driving down gravel roads. Not a problem down here as that happens to any vehicle where we live. Have our Ex since May 2011. My 2005 F150 has a crack in the windshield since it was 2 months old. My trucks are made to be used - not only eye candy.

both sides scratched all the way down with a little of what some people call tree loving or mother earth made pin stripes. Ha:D

Cracked windshield, had to be replaced.

Bumper trim rash from contact

Hood rock chip from rock skip on HWY

Dent above windshield glass on metal area from rock that hit windshield and caused crack

Small (HUGE to me because it's still my 2nd baby) door ding on the back passenger door thanks to some ******! Also some how got some very thin/light scratches on the drivers door/keypad...no idea how those got there. 8-(

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

both sides scratched all the way down with a little of what some people call tree loving or mother earth made pin stripes. Ha:D

I had that on the passenger side. Spent quite a bit of time on it with compound and polish and its mostly gone.

Back