What's the size of stock throttle body for 01 Sport 4.0 SOHC? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's the size of stock throttle body for 01 Sport 4.0 SOHC?

Buzzsaw

Reaction score
City, State
Ft Walton Beach, FL
Year, Model & Trim Level
'01 Sport & '05 XLS
I just recently bought a K&N FIPK Gen II Intake for my 2001 Sport and had a problem with the install. Where the tube fits onto the throttle body the tube was way too large to be able to clamp it down to the throttle size. I took some pipe insulation placed around the throttle so that I could attach the tube. It seems to be working OK, haven't gotten any CEL's to indicate leaking air but I would like to buy a reducer to go from the tube down to the throttle and eliminate the insulation. I found a site that sells the reducers but I need to know what size in mm's the stock throttle body is. I apparently have the pre 7/24/00 model 2001 Sport because I bought the 57-2529-1 intake and I probably needed the 57-2828 intake instead. I bought the intake second hand so I can't just return it to K&N for a replacement. Does anyone know what size my stock throttle is or where I can find that information? Thanks in advance for the help. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Is that for your 2003 Sport Trac? I think there must be a big difference in the pre 7/24/00 Sports and the post 7/24/00 Sport models. Not sure how you're supposed to know when your vechicle was produced but that looks to be my problem.

Buzzsaw said:
Is that for your 2003 Sport Trac? I think there must be a big difference in the pre 7/24/00 Sports and the post 7/24/00 Sport models. Not sure how you're supposed to know when your vechicle was produced but that looks to be my problem.
Yep
OD is 3 3/8ths, whats yours measure?

Umm not sure, I'll measure it this afternoon when I get home from work but the tube is about 3 1/4" and I'm just guessing off from my memory and how much larger the tube was but I'd say the throttle is closer to 2 1/2. There was quite a bit of play all the way around.

Ok, my throttle body is 2 7/8" Outside Diameter so I guess that makes it about a 2 3/4 inside so would that make it a 70MM? I found something that says 1" = 25.4mm so is the measurement for the inside diameter or outside?

On the inlet side of a factory 4.0 sohc cable throttle body my micrometer is telling me just under 80mm. But since idle air control has a hole right above the TB flap plate(or watever its called) that makes the actual area where air can travel thru a decent amount smaller then the 80mm inlet. I think the flap plate and TB outlet bore is around 65-66mm. And the only aftermarket option for the 4.0 sohc is a $250 BBK throttle body that has the same 66mm bore anyways.
I have an Eaton m90 supercharger on my 01 BoostedXPLR Sport 4.0 sohc and my factory throttle body has the smallest diameter area out of the whole intake. Ive heard alot of guys say that theyve swapped out their factory 4.0 sohc throttle bodies for one from a ford 4.6. so i ended up gettin a 4.6 throttle body, the arm where the cable attaches rotates the opposite direction so i would have to work cables out but thas not the problem. The problem is the bolt pattern on my 4.6 throttle body is diff then the 4.0 TB which makes no sense whatsoever becuz ive read that so many ppl have done this but im tellin ya the bolt pattern doesnt line up for me. However the m90 custom inlet plenum i have requires a spacer to go in-between the factory TB and plenum inlet. IAC and PCV run thru this spacer as well, i also have parts to make the IAC a remote IAC, which will prolly be nec if i install a 4.6 TB and change to a metal spacer. The current spacer is made of some kind of thermoplastic. The only way i can see for me to adapt a 4.6 TB to my 4.0 intake plenum is to replace that white thermoplastic spacer with a metal one that i can make myself so that i can put threaded holes into both sides of the spacer to hold it all together and so i can offset the TB holes from the plenum holes instead of bolts goin all the way thru the tb, thru the spacer and threading into the plenum. Plus id like to port the inlet bore of my plenum to match a new TB and spacer and id also like to port the outlet of the plenum to port match it to the inlet of the blower. Blower would need porting and rebuilding as well. But like i said before my intake has great flow even as it is except for the TB area, that is a restriction in my intake and when its time to build a proper motor with bigger and better boost im def gonna have to do somethin bout that TB. Any ideas or advice? Yes i kno this thread is dead sry

IMG_20201015_044934461.jpg

IMG_20200731_221626798.jpg

IMG_20201015_052636807.jpg

Back