• Register Today It's free!

What's this noise?

Carnival

Reaction score
City, State
Babylon,New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
1994 Explorer
Long time reader, first time poster, hope you guys can help. My first gen x is has a loud whinning sound coming from the front end which becomes louder as speed increases. I assumed it may be the front wheel bearings however after replacing them the problem remains. What should I look for next? T case and tranny function normally and the noise remains in both 2 and 4 wheel drive. Could it be the front diff and is this common for a 4x4 with 150,000 miles? Any advise would help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

It might be automatic hubs. You can remove the hubs (the black cover part), put your wheels back on and drive around the block. If the noise goes away change out your hubs.

if it if the hubs go with manual hubs you'll be doing yourself a favor

sounds like the same problem i had with my hubs i changed over to warn manual hubs and i love them they are soooooo much better

Sounds like a plan

Thanks to all for pointing me in the right direction. I was also considering the u joints but pulling the hubs to see if it makes a difference will save me some bloody knuckles and a few hours of agrivation, or worse....going to the dealership$$$$$. Thanks again.

Many things can cause whinning from the Front end.. Did you Eliminate engine components yet (Tensioner pulley, water pump, AC bearings, ect. Does the noise change with RPM with the vehicle in park? As for the front diff and T case when did you change the fluids last?

must be driveline

Tranny, t case, oil, front+rear diff fluids, rotors+bearings, shocks, belt all replaced. Noise only occurs under acceleration and cruise over 35 mph. Noticed pass lower ball joint needs replacing though. I'll pull the hubs when I replace it to see if the're the cuplrit. Otherwise I'll replace the U joints.

have you checked your brake pads make sure there are no sticking calipers and the pads are not wore down pads have a little metal end that will scrape along the rotor when the pads are near the end of there life

Back