What's your gas Mileage? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

What's your gas Mileage?

aldive said:
Its either your driving style or you have issues with the motor/truck.

Good luck ......

ive been driving like a grandma lately so i can get a more accurate reading. since my last reset and calulations i have yet to see an increase. ive noticed a difference when i change brands of gasoline. when i switched from a crappy little corner station to BP i noticed an increase. that was a while back tho. it has to be the motor because ive changed my driving habits in hopes of increasing mileage. ill take it in soon.

thank you.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

16-17 mpg with 50/50 city/hwy driving. On a road trip I can make 18-19. I can also hit 12 when I drive like an ass. Not too bad for a 5000 lb. vehicle with a 302.

I have a 2002 XLT 4x4. I tend to get 17-18mpg on the highway. In the city more like 12-13mpg. I have a heavy foot. I usually average about 370 miles to a tank.

96limitedX said:
no you have a 17GAl tank there buddy..lol

I pretty sure i have a 14 gallon tank. When i fill up, im only able to fill it to 14.5... gallons.

aldive said:
Take a look at http://www.explorerforum.com/ntrprize/spec1998.htm. you do not have a 14.5 gal tank, sorry.

The info posted was for a 1998 explorer. I have a 96. Now I know everytime I fill the tank up, I only get 14 gallons. So if you are saying that I have a 17 gallon tank, where is the rest of the fuel going.

Have you run the tank completely dry prior to fill up? Or, are you basing it being empty when your fuel gauge reads E?

aldive said:
Have you run the tank completely dry prior to fill up? Or, are you basing it being empty when your fuel gauge reads E?

Yes. I ran my tank dry untill the "Check gage light" came on. The needle was below the E on the gage. maybe 96's came with a small tank.

riverst said:
Yes. I ran my tank dry untill the "Check gage light" came on. The needle was below the E on the gage. maybe 96's came with a small tank.

I see. That is probably the problem.

Ever individual truck is slightly different on how much gas remains in the tank after the light is illuminated. For example, there are 2.5-3 gallons of gas remaining in my tank after the light is illuminated.

Hope this helps.

aldive said:
I see. That is probably the problem.

Ever individual truck is slightly different on how much gas remains in the tank after the light is illuminated. For example, there are 2.5-3 gallons of gas remaining in my tank after the light is illuminated.

Hope this helps.

EXACTLY...lol i fill up when the low fule level light comes on. and i useqaly get about 16.5 gallons in it. this does NOT mean i have a 16.5gal tank. it means that out of my 21gallon tank i only used 16.5 gal.

the light comes on when you still have about 3-5gal left.

95-01 4doors have a 21gallon tank(V8 and V6)

95-01 2 doors have a 17gal tank.

91-94 4 doors have a 19gal tank.

91-94 2 doors have a 17gal tank(i'm not 100% sure on the 2 door 91-94s)

even when my truck is on E i know i still have atleast 3gallons left. the one time i really pushed it and drove with the check gauge light on for along time. that tank i put 20.3gallons in it. i do not like to cut it that close.

The 96's I believe had the same size as the 95's which is a 19 gallon tank. I think the most I ever got out of the tank before I had to pretty much push it was 260.

96limitedX said:
even when my truck is on E i know i still have atleast 3gallons left. the one time i really pushed it and drove with the check gauge light on for along time. that tank i put 20.3gallons in it. i do not like to cut it that close.

I trust the computer more than the guage- the check gage light will come on, and there is still plenty of gas according to the computer. I think the pick up for the guage is in the rear of the tank. I get in the 14's most of the time. On my last trip to Seattle, I got high 18's and low 19's averaging 73mph. Got 325 on the tank before I filled.

my message center is very much on the safe side..it comes on way before the check gauge light does atleast in my truck.

'95 4Doors have a 21gal tank.

91-94s are the only 4 doors that ever had a 19gal tank.

far as i know ALL SPORTS had 17gal tanks...i'm not sure if thats true for 01-03s but i'm 99% sure it is.

i have a '94,95,96,97 window stickers right here infront of me giving me the size of the tank.

Just wish my Mustang was as accurate. The stang's float is messed up and only moves from full when I am at a 1/4 or less then it shoots down to the correct amount in the tank lol. With the B303 cam that just tells me I better get my a@@ to the gas station or I am walking.

Today the check gage light came on and i drove it around for another 8 miles to the gas station. I didnt want to run out of gas completly and my truck cut off on me. But on the average i get around 240 miles from "FULL" to "check gage light". Another thing i found out today is that 87 gas gives me more miles than 93 octane. I recorded my last two fill ups and compared the two. First time i used 87 octane and got 246 miles and the second time i use 93 and got 240 miles. Now i know its close, but im just trying to figure out whats the big hype about the different types of pump gas. is one really better than the other. From my stand point, there is only one tank in the ground that the truck fills up, so how can each gas be so different?

wow i did not know i had a 21 gallon tank so then i have about 5 gallons left when i fill up. This last fill-up put me at 13.4mpg

Just a reminder that fuel economy has nothing to do with the size of your tank. If you fill up only 14.5 gallons everytime and base calculations off distance traveled between fill ups(245 miles) then you would be getting about 17mpg, not 245 miles/17 gallons(size of the tank)= 14.5mpg.

I have a 1996 ohv sport and I get 245 miles to the tank. I have a 14 gallon tank, so that roughly about 17 miles gallon.

Jeeeez.........that’s no way to calculate miles per gallon.

I'm NOT trying to make fun of you, though it always throws me, when I hear guys talk about their MPG based on how many miles they went on a tank full of gas.

FYI, try calculating your MPG the "old fashion way."

There is going to be some variance, though I did say it was the "old fashion way." Start by filling up your gas tank, fully.......on level ground........first click off (second click off or whatever) or until you see the gas is it at a certain level in the filler neck (some stations will not let you look some won't).........sometimes you'll have to wait a little for the gas to settle in the tank........or the tank to "burrrp." You don't need to record how many gallons were needed (this time). Though you must record your odometer reading (or set the trip odometer) and remember this fill up procedure.

Any way..........now, drive it...........fill it when needed (don't have to be exact about filling it), log the number of gallons that went in.............drive it some more...............fill it when needed…………………………always logging the amount of gallons that went in............repeat the procedure several times.

After a couple of cycles: of driving, and filling, and logging the number of gallons...........this last time, you're gonna go to the same gas station and follow the same procedure that you used to fill your gas tank the first time that you started your quest for truth. Record this last odometer reading.

So, all done filling her up..............how many gallons was it this time? OK, now add up all of the gallons since you first recorded the odometer. So, how many gallons was the total?

Now, take the beginning odometer reading and minus it from the ending odometer reading………………this number is the total number of miles that you've traveled.

One more calculation left..............now, divide the number of miles by the number of gallons you used..................that number, is your MPG. Use a calculator, if you have trouble.

Now, like I said it's the "old fashion way"............and this method doesn't take into account for an odometer that is not functioning correctly.

As for computers...............well, perhaps one day................I'll have more faith in them.................and, that includes the GPS method. I've been off roading, when I was actually on a paved street.............at least that is what the GPS map said, I was doing........LOL.

Aloha, Mark

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 2002 4x4 V8 gets about 12-14 in the city, and 19-20 on the freeway.

Oh, and there's a lot of reserve built into fuel gages these days. My buddy test drove a Lincoln LS the other day and put about 15 miles on it, the distance to empty on the trip computer said zero the entire trip, never once sputtered or stalled from low fuel.

Back