• Register Today It's free!

Whats your trucks story?

fordnut_1993

Reaction score
City, State
Independence Iowa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 XLT 4 door 4X4
Mine is a 1993 explorer with automatic (original), 4.0 (original), its a bone stock truck. It was a hard worked farmers vehicle till my parents bought it in 1999 with 80,000 miles on it. About six months later driving home the frost plug blew and the motor locked up on the interstate. Dad put in a cheap plug and filled her back up to see if it could be used still, it fired right up and still runs like a champ. The engine overheated pulling a camper so it was over redline for about 20 miles to and from the campground. Did this for a few years and she still drove great. Mom sold it with 125,000 on it to my aunt, (ma bought a red 2000 explorer to replace it in 2005) My aunt took awful care of it. It rusted out badly, never put oil in it or changed it. Oil was only put in it when the oil pressure gone. (YES when the oil PRESSURE was gone) ran the tranny dry of fluid so it wouldn't shift then she would put in just enough to drive it. She was very speedy and drove the 215 miles to chicago in it a couple times a month just as it was for the couple years she owned it. I bought it from her in Jan. 2008. 178,000 miles, motor sounded crappy and tranny wouldn't shift into any gears. I changed the oil and she ran great again. I found out that no tranny fluid was on the dipstick when it was warm so i filled that up and now it has about 182,000 miles on it. She gets beaten on but she never fails. Only problem is that it blew a radiator hose driving to running practice so i got skip cause of vehicle troubles :smoke:. I bought a grand am for a cheaper daily driver. But the explorer still makes the rounds and is funner than hell to drive

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I only talked him down $200 on Snowball! Ha ha! :)

In 1991 my parents went to Sherwood Ford and bought a new 1992 Eddie Bauer. My mom was prego with me and she needed a bigger car thats why she bought it. Fully loaded, auto, and its tan. To this day I've owned 7 cars in my 18 years existance, I always end up with this eddie. I love it to death. It now has 199,740 miles on it and in mint shape. I bought a rusty 92' eddie for $1,200 with 40,000 original miles on it and im in the process of doing an engine/tranny swap. This thing has never broken down or anything. Im in love and would never trade it for the world.

does anyone know why the site is turning every word "Ford" into "Ferd" lol, check it out, look up.....

does anyone know why the site is turning every word "Ferd" into "Ferd" lol, check it out, look up.....

It's Junuary fools day....

EDIT: And when you type the word april it makes it say january!!!! hahahahahaha

I agree. Great idea for a thread.

My Grandpa was the first owner of my 94 Eddie Bauer. I was 8 years old and still remember the day he brought it home like it was yesterday. I rode home from the dealership with him. Ford wouldn't give him what he wanted for his trade in (an old diesel VW pick up) so he kept it. My dad drove the VW back to my Grandparent's house. The speedo was broken in the VW and my grandpa had the speeedo in the EX burried on the interstate keeping up with the VW. Who knows how fast we were going. That truck sat in his driveway for 2 years until one of his neighbors convinced him to sell it. I have tons of childhood memories riding around in my Grandpa's Eddie.

When I turned 16 my grandpa bought an 2002 Eddie Bauer. Ford didn't give him what he wanted on a trade for the 94 so he gave it to me. It has been my baby ever since. I will never get rid of my ex. It is crazy reliable and still runs like a champ with 188,000 miles on it. It has some rust that I hope to fix in the next year or too.

Here is a pick of my Ex right after I hit a ditch going 65. Got caught in some gravel on a corner. I saved it but a pothole sent me right into the ditch. The guy who stopped to help me thought that I had rolled it end over end. The bumpers hang a little funny but other popping the bead on 3 tires it was fine.

MyExplorer.jpg

This site is proof of how awesome these vehicles are. Everyone has a story about theirs.

I wish I did know the paul harvey version of my truck's past, although it would probably land someone in jail for abuse!
I saw her in the bank's repo lot, waaaaaay in the back next to a big rig tractor. I got ahold of the repo man, who I know through other channels, and wanted the newer one- but it was already sold. He told me that I could pay $1000 today, or wait until next month's auction. No key... Doug called me when he got the key made, I showed up and heard it run for 5 min. On auction day I started it up, drove it back and forth, then started bidding on cavilers, mazdas, etc When they got to back row I started the bidding at $500 and nobody else bid! She had a rough country 4" lift, 33x12.50x15's that really showed alignment problems, exhaust leakand 97,000 on odometer. I drove her home (selling my 88 B-II and 85 B-II 4x4 for $600 to salvage guy) and went to work. Now I've learned it is actually 197,000 miles, got some info from origional owner (I'm third one). Took lift off and put my 31x9.5-15's from the B-II on it temporarily now it s stock height, getting used 4.0 put in it, and once all the running stuff s done, I'll opt for a custom paint job - most likely COBALT BLUE instead of the Green it is now, too many Gen 1's arethat color. Not my first FORD, definitely not my last!

My very first Explorer was a 1994 XLT that I bought cheap ($1000). Took me a while because I only wanted the manual. It needed a brake line. It was a nice unmolested Explorer with 141k on her. After getting the title, I discover the PO was the original owner who bought it new from the dealership I used to work at at the same time period.

Repaired a few things, gave it a GOOD buff. Electic Red paint was like new. I drove only 2k going back and forth from work. I had sunk about 3k in it. I traded it for nearly nothing for the current Explorer - 2000 Limited.

My buddy who works at a small auto dealer got my '94 XLT in on trade last spring, I was able to get it for $500. It had 300,000km on it when I got it. I had to give it $250 in repairs, most of that was replacing the driver's side rocker, to pass safety inspection, and voila...I've been on the road with it ever since. It now has 338,000km on it, without giving me any problems until recently. I had to replace the rad, and now the trans has a small leak at the front seal. As a bonus though, when I bought it I found a stack of receipts while cleaning it out and was quite happy. In the few months prior to me getting it, it got new brakes all around, new starter, water pump, alternator, intake manifold gasket, rad hoses, fuel pump, & fuel filter. I guess the previous owner got tired of giving it the parts it needed. His loss, my gain...I'll never drive a Blazer again!

My brother in law got mine from some of his people.. He drove it a few months and bad luck hit him. { his own fault }... He called me one day wanting to sell it.. I told him I would like to have it but really didn't have the money to buy truck right now.. He said well he was going to sell it for scrap.. I said so you'll take 300 for it, he said yes and I bought it....... I LOVE it, uses no oil and everything works perfect.. Ive had to do a few things but nothing major.. Charged the AC, Cleaned the MAF, Radius Arm Bushings, plugs, wires, fuel filter, Fuel pump { that it didn't need}, tires and rims, shocks,Fixed window motors, radiator and Manual Hubs... I MIGHT have 750 in it now

My buddy who works at a small auto dealer got my '94 XLT in on trade last spring, I was able to get it for $500. It had 300,000km on it when I got it. I had to give it $250 in repairs, most of that was replacing the driver's side rocker, to pass safety inspection, and voila...I've been on the road with it ever since. It now has 338,000km on it, without giving me any problems until recently. I had to replace the rad, and now the trans has a small leak at the front seal. As a bonus though, when I bought it I found a stack of receipts while cleaning it out and was quite happy. In the few months prior to me getting it, it got new brakes all around, new starter, water pump, alternator, intake manifold gasket, rad hoses, fuel pump, & fuel filter. I guess the previous owner got tired of giving it the parts it needed. His loss, my gain...I'll never drive a Blazer again!

you'll have to watch for evil cruising around this summer. i am sure i will take it out on a few sunday nights

Okay I will add mine just wish it looked like that day I bought it so no pics.
I got my 1993 ex in 96. I am the 3rd owner. I only know about the other two owners because the second ones phone number was left in the truck when I was looking at buying it and called them. They had it for the wife to drive in the snow for work and to go camping. They traded it in on an f250 truck and got a 5th wheel. It is the only reason they parted with it as they loved it. They said the only thing bad was it used oil about one qt. every 500 to 1,000 miles. They also told me the 1st owner sold it to them personally and they told them it was too small for there family as they now had 6 kids with the new baby and so they had bought a suburban. They also told the second owners it used oil the whole time they owned it and that at the first oil change he had put in slick 50. (A friend did this also that I knew and his truck also used oil as it never broke in because of the slick 50 being added) After I had learned this I have always felt the oil usage was from the slick 50 but the more time I spend here reading I have rethought that as it also seams to be a trait of the 1st gen of explorers.

That is the history of my explorer tell I bought it.
Now I have had this explorer from about 1995. So far it has been my 1st and only explorer. It has always been a good reliable truck for the most part tell the last few years. It is now getting tired at 201,435.0 miles and counting. For the last few years from 2002 it has not been taken care of as it should have been. Because of a divorce and being disabled money has not always been there to get things done as and when they should be. Not any fault of the explorer. Knowing how it is let go some times, yet it just keeps running says a lot about the truck and Ford as a whole. My explorer has been asked to be over worked many times and never complained even one time. has run high speed roads at 80 MPH for hours on end , ran heavy dirt and dusty roads, blasted threw snow covers forest trails as easy as it has snow covered paved roads. Has taken 4 people and all there gear camping for weeks at a time yet used to clean up real good for a night out on the town. Now days she bakes in the sun and heat all day with only her good looks suffering for it. Has sat for so long that a set of tires jest about rotted out on it and yet has been ran so had other tires have had the tread worn off of them in short order. The explorer has been started up and then push hard with no warm up and never did any thing but the job at hand. I wish every thing in my life was as dependable as this explorer has been. It has seen my kids grow up and move away, seen me safely threw a divorce were my ex tried to kill me , moved me a few time including out of state and in state . Taken me on dates, introduced others to camping and fishing for the first time same with wheeling. Yet if it could talk I am afraid it would tell you how unfair I have been to it and how fair it treats me every day and even when it is time to rest or be fixed it tells me with time to spare if I listen to it . Yes I like my explorer. Would I ever own another one? In a heart beat!

This truck will most likely be kept in the family for some years as when I do part with it my step son has already spoken up saying he would like it. When the stereo was put into it years ago it was because I had planed to give it to my own son but he dose not really want it any more as he is into the small import cars and my stepson likes trucks and 4x4’s. He enjoys driving the ex now over the cars he has driven including his sisters and brothers let alone mom and dads. LOL
I have enjoyed this truck and as far as I can see I will for a few years more yet. It still uses the same amount of oil the second owner told me about. It dose not smoke and runs good

Major parts replacements have been
Tranny, radiator, water pump, fan and fan clutch, radiuses bushings, coil pack, cat and muffler, Warn manual hubs (stock ones went out big time)

Things added to the truck
Accel super coil pack (coil pack needed replacing any way), stereo to a cd mp3 player with amp and sub woofer, (old farts need clean sounds also). Grill guard, tow hitch, larger exhaust pipe and free flowing cat and muffler (needed replacement any way) alarm.

Minor fixes
Front seat rails broke so brazed to fix. Zip tie maf elect. Connector as clips broken, dash trim.

Major work that needs to be done
A/C system work to get it running again, some body work and a paint job.

Wants
Get ride of the idle miss! Over the years have tried ever thing and it still lives in this ex!
Lift kit of about 6”. Camo paint job with black out treatment for no chrome at all! Cold air intake. Cam and headers, custom bumpers, winch, roof rack, swing away tire rack for the back end. Skid plates, vent visors being only the back doors have there’s left now days.

you'll have to watch for evil cruising around this summer. i am sure i will take it out on a few sunday nights

Do you go to the Pony Coral on Grant, or the Burger Factory on Portage? Who did your paint, it looks awesome!

EDIT: I noticed that you're from Selkirk. Is your name "Daniel B." by chance? The reason I ask, is because my X's previous owner is from Selkirk, and that's the name on the receipts I found. I think that would be too funny if it were your old X :)

I bought mine for $1200, the rag joints were gone, and there was no filter in the air cleaner box, the driver seat is rusted in the upright position, it has a couple dents, a bad radius arm bushing, and a bad t case motor. I got ripped off, but I love my Explorer, it has character.

i have no real clue on either of them... one had a hard life in syracuse, ny, the other had a hard life in garfield,nj, sat in a yard for 2 yearfs with no sunroof panel growing plants out of the seats

then i got em and it was all down hill from there

Got the 1994 for $600 on payments, needed new tires and the quarter glass. We did a tune up and oil change (we didn't know when the last one was done), we just found out the tranny was rebuilt about 25,000 miles ago (paperwork came with title on last payment). Thing runs perfect and has never let us down! The only thing I want to change is the interior color.

We also just picked up a 1991 sport with the 5 speed (needs new motor) for $200. Dont know to much about it yet still sitting in the driveway waiting for use to go pick up the motor.

I bought mine for $3200 from a friend with a small used car lot in WV.The owner had died and the truck had 119,000 on it in Oct 07.The truck came from a used car lot in MD and was in mint shape.It's still stock and as you see in my sig,I went to Moab for 5 days and did a bunch of crazy trails in it.Look up Elephant Hill and you will see what I mean.I went up that,dead stock with 235/75/15's....standard tread tires and no lift.:D

It now has a rust spot you can see in the photo that is getting fixed soon,for some reason it only rusted there.It will get a 2" lift and some better tires in the end.

Attachments

• 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    152.6 KB · Views: 777

lets keep this thread going it is a good one. i really enjoyed this 1.

I bought my ex about 3 months ago from my brother in law. it is a 1994 ex. they did not take care of it but, at least they kept the fluids full. not changed. when i got it the power steering pump was whining. no fluid in it. the only fluid they did not check. the oil was nasty. it had a coolant leak. i found all this out after i bought it. i have put a new water pump. radiator, timing chain rad hoses and intake gaskets. i was pissed at first for all the problems. but you know what. I LOVE the ex. original tranny that shifts perfect. motor runs perfect. just a alarm prob you guys are helping me with. the best money i ever spent on a vehicle. I changed all fluids. does not burn any oil. power steering just has the usual Ford whine. I am a very happy ex owner.

bought mine in may 2007. dealer told me the eng and trans was rebuilt. turns out they put a used motor in it with a cracked head and the trans went out a week later. it only had 120k miles on thr body. other than that i like it even when it had a cracked head i was makeing trips to cali twice with a cracked head from wa. like they say just add water. so now its fixed. runs good :) never let me down. only thing that golt me is when the heater hose blew and i saw smoke coming out from the front passenger wheel i thought the head gave up on me.

003cx.jpg

By kobej05, shot with KENOX S730 / Samsung S730 at 2010-04-05

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 94 Explorer was purchased on October '08 with 154k on the clock and 1200 cash. The person I got it from didn't really know much about cars (He bought an '09 Avalanche :rolleyes:) and the truck needed a lot of under hood work. With about 300 invested I got it running smoothly again. I then put it through its paces taking it from Houston to Dallas and back in Jan '09. That's the trip that earned it the name "Red Flyer." Check my registry and you'll know why. :) Now partly through a 4wd conversion and a small accident later, she sits loud and proud on my driveway.

Back