Whats your trucks story? | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Whats your trucks story?

Keep the stories coming i enjoy reading em, P.S Metallica ROCKS.......................:smoke::smoke:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My 4th RBV

First was my dad's 87 EB B2, which I rolled Halloween 1991. Poor driving, NOT the B2's fault.
Next was the 86 EB B2 that he replaced it with, and which stayed with him until 06 or 07 when I got it.
In the meantime I had my own 92 Ranger 4x4 that got lifted and abused for years. For a while both the B2 and Ranger belonged to my dad. I owed him some money, couldn't pay and he needed a truck.

About 2 years ago I found my EB 4x4 X on CL for $500. Now has ?60,000 miles still don't know if it has rolled the odometer once or twice. Both front seats were garbage, door panels and switches were shot, the paint was iffy, and everything else looked neglected. Engine was healthy, A4LD worked (fluid was a bit burnt and had metal in it), Xfer case and hubs were good. For my purposes (trail beater and camping) it was fine and the price was right. Tranny gave up about a month after I sold the B2 whose only problem was being too small to sleep in. Poor little X sat for about 8 months while I put together the cash to have the trans fixed. Got all the seats and door panels with switches from a junked Limited for $200. I still need to do some work on the front suspension but waiting until I decide which things are going to stay original and what will be upgraded. It has become my daily driver, and I can't think of a reason that I would get rid of it on purpose.

Future plans include: selectable front diff/detroit rear, some combination of lift and hack to clear 33s, some armor and lights.

i have a 94 XLT with 262,537 miles on it now. it had 248,000 when i got it. My cousin bought it new in 94 and was his daily driver for 14 years. He drove it 5 hours from Atlanta just to GIVE it to me. It is an awsome truck that needs a LOT of little fixes here and there. Last summer i put $700 worth of replacement parts into it which include all new air conditioning components, alternator, and starter. It has only failed to start twice since i got it. It needs new head gaskets and a valve job and i am done fixing the engine. The driver's side of the truck it a total mess, but the passenger's side it perfect except for four tiny dents. My brother hit the mailbox and screwed my driver's side fender. The driver's door needs new hinges and the window needs more work. i fixed and broke it five times in one weekend. My dad made the driver's window remote shoot sparks and now the individual windows can only be controlled by the driver. All four of the windows need work though. The rear quarter pannell on the driver's was ruined by a blowout about 7 years ago. I had a glasspack on it, but the 45 minute drive to my girlfriend's got really annoying because of the glasspack. it is gone now, but was great for around town cruising and it sounded wicked!! Also i am getting a terrific 21 mpg.
The seats need to be re-upolstered, and it needs new speakers, but thats about it on the inside. I have done extensive cleaning in there to make it unattractive to ants. It has been infested twice by them. they started to build a nest in the door seal rubber once. It has custom fit Husky floor mats. The seats are leather, and bot are power and the passenger lumbar needs something to fix it. Both front seats need new foam padding and the leather replaced with cloth. But the back seat is perfect! I love this truck, but i am a broke college student with a truck that needs about $6k worth of repair. it gets me around. My girlfriend drives a 2001 sport. tan just like my 94. my mom had a 97 mounty. i miss that truck, but i plan to never get rid of my explorer. I would love to see other tan 94s like mine. mine is the only tan 94 in the county i live, and i have only seen one other one like mine but it was in another city. Explorers rule!!!:exp:

it is 2wd but does go off-road. i forgot to mention that! lol. it has only been stuck once in ruts made by 32" swampers. it did go through red clay on side of the road with ease on street tires. Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs coming soon.

This is my first truck, a 91 Explorer xlt. I bought it for $500 April 2009 with about 170,000 miles on it, I replaced the shocks, front Driver side wheel bearing, fuel injector, alternator, muffler, power steering hose, valve cover and intake manifold gaskets and a new set of tires. my next project that i am going to under take is build a grill guard and put it on, along with some fog lights.
has 191,000 miles now.

SANY0664.jpg
SANY0661.jpg

my folks picked the 94 xlt out in 93. i was 12 and i picked everything out on the explorer from color, to mud flaps, air spoilers, gear ratio, interior, electronics package. it's like number 5,500 out of the year of 94. it's been wrecked into a guard rail, head first into a pole ( 15mph ) i've hit 4 deer with although none of them serious clean hits. Been through 2 trannys and has had a jasper in it for the last 20k. it's going to need a engine very soon which i haven't prepared for yet. it's been to 35 states, 191k miles. it's pulled our 24' pontoon boat more times than i can count. it's beat up, needs alot a work, some stuff isn't working or rusted or broken or i just don't know how to fix but i wouldn't trade for anything. especially no chevy haha

Photo0111.jpg

Photo0104.jpg

Had this 'sploder for 2 years now. Bought it at auction for $800. A little bit of rust on the inside of the tailgate but the rest is tight, the rustproofing undercoat is still there. Came with Michelins, lots left on them, checker plate running boards, and you could almost eat off the engine. Everything works and I have replaced the shocks, battery, rotors bearings pads and right caliper, vent visors on the windows, the split bench is gone in favour of buckets from a Sport and I added a center console and CD player.

Still less than 2 grand in it and it runs great, goes camping fishing and bush busting and the to and fro DD.

My story

Out of all the vehicles I have owned (11) since I was 17 this is the first FORD. I have always been a GM guy, but the price was right for my Explorer. I came across the ad on Kijiji for it. The guy was asking $500 as it had been sitting for a year. So I went and checked her out; 3 tires were low and 1 was flat, but luckily hadn't broken the bead, battery was just about dead, the starter was just about finished (pulling more amps than it should), clutch reservoir had no fluid in it. It started, ran, and moved back and forth though so that made me happy. It had 299,500 KM's on it, but the body was clean with next to no rust at all. I ended up trading an Axial rock crawler and a mini electric RC for it, basically I got it for nothing. The RC's were worth about $300.

So I took and put fluid in it for the clutch as well as putting in about $10 worth of premium fuel and I drove it the 50KM home. It drove not too bad but had a bit of a vibration in the rear end. Got it home with no problems other than finding it hard to find any gears as the stick was loose. On the next weekend I changed the oil and filter, rotated the tires, changed the tranny fluid and t-case fluid, fixed 2 dead speakers, replaced the starter, battery, and the positive battery cable, tightened the stick shift, gave it a bath and cleaned the inside a bit. I have been using it as my daily driver since the snow started. I drive 87KM a day and it hasn't let me down yet (knock on wood). I even took it on a 1,500KM round trip to BC and back loaded with 4 passengers and x-mas gifts and luggage with out a problem except for the muffler giving out and I was surprised I averaged 20MPG.

In the early spring I plan on putting around $1,500 into it and keeping it as my daily driver and getting rid of my car. The tires have good tread but the side walls are cracking from sitting for so long. Funny thing is when I was cleaning it out I found the original insurance paper for when the previous guy had bought it. It had roughly the same mileage on it when I bought it from him. So basically he bought it and then never drove it.

I would like to shampoo the carpets/seats and give it a new paint job as I don't really care for the green. and I also want to change over the chrom trim on the front as I don't care the black. I also need to find a spare tire and jack which is near impossible out hear. What I might do is try and find another '93 that is in rough shape and use it as a parts vehicle. Hope to put a bush guard on it, some nice driving/fog lights, etc....

This Explorer has really surprised me in terms of reliability. It will even start at -30 Celsius without being plugged in. I do have to get a new signal light/trim on the driver side which sucks. I had it parked in our apartment parking lot for a week. Went to get into on the weekend and noticed my marker light was gone. It looks like someone either hit it with a door or backed into it as they broke the clips the hold the light in as well as all the trim and marker light around the headlight. The funny thing is I couldn't find the marker anywhere around the vehicle and couldn't see any other damage. People are so ignorant these days.

(dead links)

80k on 2000 xlt

My parents bought a '00 new ,drove it for 70k miles during snow or ice, for camping,road trips till us 3 kids got too large to fit in it for long trips. Then it was handed down between my brothers and me for school. It has had an easy life, until I got a hold of it ;)

I have driven a lot of fords over the years. I drove a Contour for many years until last December when it developed a major problem starting in extreme cold, which is where I live in December. I finally took it to a shop, they diagnosed a bad head gasket, and it was not worth repairing.

So, I put the phone down and looked at craigslist. About 5 spots down was a '94 2 door standard green/black 4x4 for $1750. I test drove it, went to a sheet of ice, put it in 4x4 and punched it. It's like the tires grew studs, no slipping at all. After that, I would have paid $2,500. I was completely sold. The interior, like many of yours, could be mistaken for a new car. It had 87,000 documented miles. I talked him down to $1,700 just because I don't pay list, he offered me $200 for the Contour. By the way, I pretty much paid for my explorer out of profit for holding silver. If you are not investing in silver, I strongly suggest you look into it.

I remembered something later. My first car was a '73 Ford Pinto green station wagon, and it's like I'm coming back to that format. I like that the engine points the right direction.

The Explorer is eccentric, though. Things work, then some odd twist will come up. A few days ago, I was on the highway on cruise control. I pressed the window up button and the cruise started coasting. I released the window button, it sped back up.

This forum keeps on making me think about big tires and how much fun it would be to build that. I think the explorer is going to stay stock. I may end up going south next summer, maybe I can find a rust free one play with.

Something to ponder: wouldn't it make more sense to drive the front wheels in 2WD mode and add the back ones when you need more traction? Just thinking out loud.

Ooooh, the Explorer story thread - never seen this one, glad it got resurrected somehow.

I live in a nice, walkable city neighborhood, so for years I hadn't even bothered to own a car. In 2009, I got divorced though, and with three kids, I needed something cheap just to get us around because I couldn't foresee doing walking trips by myself with them anymore, and to get them to daycare and back, etc. About 2 days into my search, I ran into a friend of mine in our local coffee shop where he was making up the window signs for selling an Explorer. 103,000 miles - $1200. I skipped out on work for a few minutes, took her for a test drive, fell in love. She is a '94 XLT, green exterior, tan interior, great condition, little rust. The previous owners had taken amazing care of it, but had moved back to Israel, giving my friend Power of Attorney over the car and the instructions to just unload it for cheap.

She's been a great car since then - not without her typical Explorer issues, but still a great car. Thanks to you guys, I've learned a lot about her and am proud to be able to do a lot of the work myself. You have to understand that for a chick to do all her own work on her car seems to be unheard of around here, in the city (and I live in a sort-of rich neighborhood, so everybody just pays to have their cars fixed usually). When I tell people I do the work myself, they look at me like I'm nuts.

But, so far I've done the front brakes, the front calipers, the front shocks, the front right ball joint, the rear shackles, the fuel pressure regulator, dropped the fuel tank and put in a new sender unit and did the tank strap replacement (they were rusting through, oops, and I think my skid plate was basically holding up my gas tank), the fuel filter, the coolant distributor, as well as learning a lot about sensors and wiring and how to test it all. I have learned to patch rust like a pro too! Coming up next will be the true test, as I'm preparing for transmission work.

I am an Explorer addict now. Maybe a little late to the game, I missed the whole 90s Explorer craze. But still an addict.

Ooooh, the Explorer story thread - never seen this one, glad it got resurrected somehow.

I live in a nice, walkable city neighborhood, so for years I hadn't even bothered to own a car. In 2009, I got divorced though, and with three kids, I needed something cheap just to get us around because I couldn't foresee doing walking trips by myself with them anymore, and to get them to daycare and back, etc. About 2 days into my search, I ran into a friend of mine in our local coffee shop where he was making up the window signs for selling an Explorer. 103,000 miles - $1200. I skipped out on work for a few minutes, took her for a test drive, fell in love. She is a '94 XLT, green exterior, tan interior, great condition, little rust. The previous owners had taken amazing care of it, but had moved back to Israel, giving my friend Power of Attorney over the car and the instructions to just unload it for cheap.

She's been a great car since then - not without her typical Explorer issues, but still a great car. Thanks to you guys, I've learned a lot about her and am proud to be able to do a lot of the work myself. You have to understand that for a chick to do all her own work on her car seems to be unheard of around here, in the city (and I live in a sort-of rich neighborhood, so everybody just pays to have their cars fixed usually). When I tell people I do the work myself, they look at me like I'm nuts.

But, so far I've done the front brakes, the front calipers, the front shocks, the front right ball joint, the rear shackles, the fuel pressure regulator, dropped the fuel tank and put in a new sender unit and did the tank strap replacement (they were rusting through, oops, and I think my skid plate was basically holding up my gas tank), the fuel filter, the coolant distributor, as well as learning a lot about sensors and wiring and how to test it all. I have learned to patch rust like a pro too! Coming up next will be the true test, as I'm preparing for transmission work.

I am an Explorer addict now. Maybe a little late to the game, I missed the whole 90s Explorer craze. But still an addict.

Congrats on being a do it yourselfer!! And female to Boot.
I get nuts hearing SO MANY people saying. "I had it towed to "The Guy"."

Purchased mine brand new in 91 with 6 miles on it. It's been pert-near all over and now sits in my driveway in Florida with 217,000 on it. It was the only manual xmission, forest green, XL with all the XLT options that I've ever seen, but I absolutely love it. It needs a 3rd paint job, but has never had any rust or any engine problems (knock on wood).

My wife has tried to buy me 2 newer ones since, but I keep telling her "No way!"

My truck's story? It has something to do with a talking dog and a long-lost Inca statue. Stay tuned for the novel!

Good job on doing the work :thumbsup:. Think of how much you have saved doing it yourself. I've always liked the first gen explorers. Which part of the burgh are you from? I just moved out of mcmurray, which is in the south hills, a few years back.

Good job on doing the work :thumbsup:. Think of how much you have saved doing it yourself. I've always liked the first gen explorers. Which part of the burgh are you from? I just moved out of mcmurray, which is in the south hills, a few years back.

I live in Squirrel Hill, so the east end of the city. Love it here - been here for 10 years. Only thing that sucks is trying to find a driveway or friends garage to work on the X (or the East Liberty Advanced Auto always works, ha ha), other than that, no complaints.

I had a heart attack in August of 2009 and was initially pronounced dead after no heartbeat or breathing for 22 minutes. My wife pleaded with the firemen/paramedics to please bring me back so they gave me another set of resuscitation. At 34 minutes dead, the firemen detected a slight pulse but I was still not breathing. They then transported me to the hospital. My wife was told to expect a drooling idiot when I awoke.

I fooled them all. Here I am and enjoying life a lot more than I used to. I needed something to do so my daughter decided to sell me her "Old" 1992 Ex Eddie Bauer for a $1.00 as the dealer would only give her $100.00 trade in for it. She was the second owner but the original owner had kept every document from the day it left the showroom floor to when she bought it and she did the same from her purchase until she sold it to me. It is now officially 19 years young and I am restoring every square blue inch of it.

I just changed out the entire braking system and the entire steering system (yes that includes the Power steering Pump, hoses, steering gear box, rebuilding the lower steering shaft assembly, and tie-rod assembly) as well as replacing the ball joints and u-joints truck-wide. Next will be the springs both front and rear plus a new set of BFG, ATs for the ground. Who cares what it costs, I'm not taking it with me. Speaking as one who has been dead, You really don't care until you wake up.

I did not buy a truck, I bought a way of life.

It is hard to follow BTW but I will try. I am glad you are OK too. I bought my 92 Gen1 4WD from a friend in Indiana about 10 years ago. It was my first 4WD, so I have learned alot of things about this vehicle over the 10 years of ownership. My Ex has 157,000 miles and is primarily used as a backup vehicle. I have repaired, replaced, and updated the following: LH Cylinder Head Replacement, Fuel-Pump/Sender Replacement due to a Fuel Leak from a Rusted Fuel Tube, Radius-Arm Bushings, Manual Warn Hub Updates, Radiator, Thermostat, Driver-Belt Tensioner and Idler Pulley, Starter, Minor Rust Repair in the Dog Legs, 4WD Shift-Motor, LH Upper and Lower Ball Joint, 4WD U-Joints, Flowmaster CAT Back, Swiss-Chesse Air Box/K&N Drop-In and a A/T Rebuild. The only issue is an occasional Lift Tick that comes and goes that I will live with. I have updated the vehicle with Bosch Fog Lamps and Tow-Hooks. I hope to use this vehicle over the next 10 years. I need this vehicle when I move to Northern Michigan in about two years. Thanks to many great threads from this site.
foglmpthooks.jpg

Back