• Register Today It's free!

Wheel bearing/hub assembly

albertabound

Reaction score
City, State
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 XLS 4WD
My 96 recently started making a squeeling/grinding noise coming from the RH front wheel. I put it up on jacks and discovered some play in the tire. After pulling off the tire, and some wiggling around it looks as if the rotor/hub assembly or bearings are the problem. Are the bearings easy to replace, or do I have to replace the whole hub? How do I recognize if it is auto or manual? Would anyone recommend going used on this stuff? Without being rich and equipped with proper set of tools, what do I need to do? Here's hoping someone has an easy, inexpenvie solution.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If its a 4WD or AWD, then the entire hub assembly has to be replaced. It takes someone for the first time to do it about 40 minutes to an hour.

albertabound said:
Are the bearings easy to replace, or do I have to replace the whole hub?
The whole hub of course - cmon its a Ford ;)

albertabound said:
How do I recognize if it is auto or manual?
The hubs are neither auto nor manual. they are actually splined directly to the CV shaft - meaning there is no "disconnect" device in between the wheel and the axle shafts.

albertabound said:
Would anyone recommend going used on this stuff?
neh - u shouldnt put on used ones cauz thats probably asking for trouble down the road (and spend more money).

albertabound said:
Without being rich and equipped with proper set of tools, what do I need to do?
the wheel bearings is really easy. i mean if you can change a tire, you can change the wheel bearings as it is really held onto the steering knuckle by only three 15-mm bolts. of course, before you get to the bearing, you have to remove the tire, the brake calipers, and the brake rotor.

albertabound said:
Here's hoping someone has an easy, inexpenvie solution.
the bearing itself is the most expensive part of course - usually runs between 160-200 dollars because its the entire assembly. in addition, you also need one or two jack-stands, a jack (of course), i think a 1.25" socket and a breaker bar (used to remove the large center nut that holds the hub onto the axle shaft), a 15mm wrench, 10mm wrench (for the brake calipers) and some other minor things like maybe a mallet to remove the rotor if its rusted on.

Further to this, my ABS light has been on for just a little longer than this bearing/hub problem. Is it likely the two are related?

albertabound said:
Further to this, my ABS light has been on for just a little longer than this bearing/hub problem. Is it likely the two are related?
yes probably, the front ABS sensor is part of the "bearing assembly" that you would be replacing.

Is the bearing assembly and the hub assembly basically the same thing? Also, when I pulled the tire off, besides the five bolts that hold it on, there was a nut in the center which is larger than anything I'm equipped to deal with. Looks like maybe 1" or 1 1/8" roughly. Will this have to come off, or will the rotor/hub assembly come off without taking the center nut off? I have tried looking at my Chilton's to figure this all out, but it appears more complicated than it should, hence all the questions. I do appreciate the replies.

albertabound said:
Is the bearing assembly and the hub assembly basically the same thing?
yeah

albertabound said:
there was a nut in the center which is larger than anything I'm equipped to deal with. Looks like maybe 1" or 1 1/8" roughly. Will this have to come off, or will the rotor/hub assembly come off without taking the center nut off?
that nut has to come off.. i mentioned that in my first reply.. the 1.25" nut. it might be 1.125" but im sure its not 1.00" . you need a socket of that size and a breaker bar. just stop by walmart or something and get a cheap 1/2"-drive breaker bar. the socket might be a little harder to find but your local auto retailer should have it - pepboys, advanced auto or something.

The hub nut is a 1.25" and it has to come off to remove the hub assembly. You'll need a good breaker bar and pole possibly. When I did mine, I needed a 6' breaker bar.

Thanks again for the reply. Apologies AZ...I started typing before I read your reply thoroughly re: center nut.

the bearing/hub assembly
explorer_hub.jpg

So this is the entire hub/bearing assembly? Excellent picture IZ. TY.

albertabound said:
So this is the entire hub/bearing assembly? Excellent picture IZ. TY.
yes thats the entire hub assembly. you can see the black ABS wire coming down and out of the frame. you can also see the splines inside the hub - the axle shaft (CV axles) slide into that - you'll see this once you remove that large 1.25" nut.

i already had that image uploaded to my school's server so i just linked to it.

Are both the inside and outside bearings contained within this assembly?

albertabound said:
Are both the inside and outside bearings contained within this assembly?
yes thats the entire assembly with every bearing that supports the wheel.

Am I in any immediate danger of making things worse by driving before I replace the hub? I still need to get to work, etc. but don't want to make things worse. Of course I will replace as soon as (my wallet) allows, but if i can't for a week or two would it hurt?

albertabound said:
Am I in any immediate danger of making things worse by driving before I replace the hub? I still need to get to work, etc. but don't want to make things worse. Of course I will replace as soon as (my wallet) allows, but if i can't for a week or two would it hurt?
i can't make this decision. but ive once ran a grinding hub for a few days - but not more. and work is about 23 miles away - so back and forth thats almost 50 miles a day. this is ultimately your decision tho.

Thanks again for all your advice. As soon I get 'er fixed, I will post the results! :ca: :)

Hey albertabound.... I drove out to alberta from ontario with a bearing that was "rumbling" a bit as you got to highway speed (120 km/hr). It made the whole trip (9K plus). When I got back, as I was making turns, it would grind ... the rotor would touch the caliper arms. This is what you have to watch out for if you don't change it soon.

Does anyone know if the hub/bearing assembly for my 96 XLS 4wd could be found on any other year/model. I am going shopping for a used part (can't afford new) to install myself, and wanted to know what other trucks had the same part. Thank you in advance. AB

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I originally tried to go that route.... the wrecker had a hub off a 99 that they said would fit. However, he indicated that it came off a unit that had 100KKm on it so it wasn't worth the effort. I ended up with using a new unit at $280. I probably need to do the other side and have been looking at ebay... there have been units for ~150 US that I was thinking of giving a go but am some what reluctant. I can understand the money issue as it is the same for me. Give your local wrecker a call although most here would say that it isn't worth it. I guess it depends on how many miles you put on the thing and how much of it is at high speeds and / or tough terrain out in the middle of nowhere.

Back