wheel bearing maybe?

macknos94

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Harrisburg, pa
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 mountaineer premier
everytime i make a right hand turn i get a drowning sound. when i go straight i have it slightly and i can feel it through the steering wheel. my first thought is great a wheel bearing but idk anyone have any ideas its getting worst and worst. my rotors arent the best but but there still good not warped or anything. im goin right now to have a alignment, balance and rotation done. but yeah anyone have a idea.:salute:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

at the least after you have all that done it will narrow down the problem...

just got it done and theres still the same noise im thinking its the wheel bearing but might be the rotors. idk any ideas

when you apply the brakes in a straight line do you hear the same noise ??? and when you apply the brakes, does the truck seem to pull towards on side or the other ???

you said you hear it while turning... is the noise still present in a straight line without touching the brakes ????

yep still there when goin straight

Probably a wheel bearing....My Ex was making some crazy noises and i finally gave in and bought a new hub/bearing and no more noise at alllll...drives as if brand new! =D

anyone know where to get em for a good price. locally they want 203+tax. what do you think about this place. they seem like they have really good deals
http://www.parts.com/oemcatalog/index.cfm?action=getJointLocator

i have changed wheel bearings before but that was for a 83 s10, a 93 del sol, and a 78 bronco. i know the mountaineer is hella different what do i need all together to change the wheel bearings. is it a hub assembly, seal and bearing or what. are they press in, bolt in or what.

thanks stsmoke. that helps alot ill be picking one up asap. prolly replace both at once. there arent any seals to replace tho?

Nope...the hub is all sealed...the hardest part is getting to them 3 bolts behind the halfshaft and getting the old hub off beause the old hub has sealer or something all around it so we had to knock it loose with a 3lb hammer then use a pry bar to pry it off. But the new one i got off of that website (The $139.99 one) came complete with the new wheel speed sensor and all, and it fits perfectly into place. Any problems though..im here lol

MACKNOS94

whats the status on your truck bro ???? you back in service yet...

its still drivable I just hate hearing anything wrong with the mountaineer. I ordered 2 front wheel bearings tonight and once they come in ill tackle that project

Back