wheel bearing problems | Ford Explorer - Ford Ranger Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free! This box and some ads will disappear once registered!

wheel bearing problems

bronco351

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport 4x4
I just finished replacing the driver side front wheel bearings, and wheel bearing races on a 93 with auto locking hubs.

The noise from the inner bearing was getting unbearable, and it dug into the inner bearing race. Now that I have the new ones on, I am hearing a rubbing noise coming from the new bearings, but I can't hear it unless I am going faster than 20 mph. I packed the new bearings well, but it doesn't sound right at all.

Anyone have any suggestions? Is it possible that I need to loosen or tighten the wheel bearing adjustment bolt?

<

Join the Elite Explorers $20 Gets rid of the ads!

Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links, can add their own profile photo, upload photo attachments in all forums, and Media Gallery, create and save more private conversations, and more. Join Today. Your support is greatly appreciated.

Bruce Rock

Reaction score
City, State
Kaukauna, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
Jack up one front tire at a time and and check the end play in the bearings. It should be 0 to 0.003 inch loose.

<

TheRookie

Traveling SAS guru
Reaction score
City, State
West Chester PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 explorer xlt
how much torque did you put on them?

<

bronco351

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
93 sport 4x4
I torqued the locking nut to 35 ft lbs. then loosened half a turn then tightened back to 20 ft lbs. There doesn't seem to be any noticable play in the wheel when I spin it.

It feels fine until I hit about 20 or 25 mph than I notice the noise. I'm going to take it apart again and re-check everything. If my torque specs are wrong could someone let me know the correct ones. Thanks

<

<

Bruce Rock

Reaction score
City, State
Kaukauna, Wisconsin
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
The torque on the LOCKING NUT should be 150 ft-lbs!

This is AFTER the ADJUSTING NUT is torqued to 35 ft-lbs, backed off 1/4 turn, than torqued to 16 in-lbs.

This should result in endplay of 0 to 0.003 inch. The MAXIMUM hub turning torque should be 25 in-lbs.

Since my in-lbs torque wrench is 1/4 inch drive and the bearing adjusting nut socket that I borrowed from Crown auto is 1/2 inch drive, I had to use two adapters (1/4" female to 3/8" male and 3/8" female to 1/2" male) to get the correct torque.

<