Wheel Bearing Races | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Bearing Races

Reaction score
City, State
North Dakota
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 sport 90k, 94 Xlt 157k
Hey everybody, hows it going? I just ordered some wheel bearings for my explorer, 4 timken set37's, two wheel bearing grease seals, and some new caliper slider pins. My rotors that i currently have on are still good, but my question is how do i remove the bearing races from the rotor? Is there two races for each wheel bearing? Thanks :thumbsup:

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have the Auto locking hubs, and for grease, i plan on using some high temperature grease that i got from wal-mart.

I believe they are pressed into the rotor. You'd have to find a shop that would do it for you if you don't have the press.

There is a race for each bearing. I put on new rotors that came with races installed already.

A guy couldnt just try to beat them out with a hammer? And the same for installing them?

The tolerances are very close, you'd be hard pressed(ha!) to get them out with a hammer. You'd also easily damage the new ones going in. Any distortion to the race will kill the bearing.

When I did my bearings and races, I thought they tapped out pretty easily. The hardest part was finding and identifying the inside edge of the races where I could tap on them, because of all the grease obscuring my view of things. A hammer and a punch and a few minutes of tapping (probably have to tap around the race in a circle so the race doesn't get crooked inside the rotor and bind up) and the race came right out. Flip the rotor over and tap out the other race. I used a standard bearing/race type tool with the right diameter to tap the new races in. I don't recall having any significant issues replacing the front wheel bearing races.

Yep, i just put a pipe down the hub, sit it on the race and whack it, then move the pipe to the other side and whack it...rinse lather repeat as necessary.

It can be done with a punch, cup and hammer. for installing use a bearing cup, large socket, or you can use your old race. Tap as gently as you can to get it to seat all the way in. If you screw up and hit the bearing area of the race, remove it and get a new one.

For over 20 years I have only tapped them in or out as needed with a hammer, socket extension, and an old used bearing race.
For the grease seal I use an old board that is as wide if not wider then the seal and about 1/2 thick to tap it in nice and flat.

I know this thread is a little older, but do you remove both races from the front of the rotor, or the back? Or outter through the front and inner through the back?

You tap them out from where they meet, in the middle of the rotor. So the inner race is tapped out from the outside, whilst the outer race is tapped out from the inside. If that makes any sense..

Back