• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Bearing

4WheelinFord

Reaction score
City, State
Nanaimo, British Columbia
Year, Model & Trim Level
'94 XLT
I am having some troubles. I took apart my wheel bearings and discovered that the bottom of the inner wheel bearing case was pretty well stuck to the axle shaft. After some coaxing with a hammer and punch and chisel, i managed to get it off (made sure not to damage the shaft). Now the new bearing wont slide onto the well lubed spindle? Anyone got any suggestions?

Also... the axle shaft spacers were completly wore through, one was not even there, and the other look like it was cupped on the backside. Can anyone tell me what this is indicating...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Well got the wheel bearing on. I just took some emery cloth to the spindle, and it slid on. But now i cant get my spindle nuts on. But its only cause i have a 3/8 drive torque wrench and the 4 prong spanner is a half inch drive. ****ty:thumbdwn: So should be done tomorrow. Still would like to know if anyone knows why the axle shaft spacers would wear out? Anyone?

those star washers do wear out in my experience, just replace both of them and try to find metal ones, not the plastic.

If they are wearing too quickly it points to wear in the U joints, your worn wheel bearing sure didnt help, and the spindle bearing may be shot (inside spindle, end of the axleshaft rides inside it)
Nothing out of the ordinary but it wouldnt be a bad idea to look around, ie if this sides bearings were worn then the other side is likely due, ball joints, u joints, tie rod ends, they all require attention, our gen I trucks are getting up there in age.

Could be the spindle nut was over torqued, it's only 16 inch pounds if memory serves, which ain't much.

Got it all back together and is running smooth and stopping straight as an arrow (with no vibrations). Thanks for the help, now i gotta tackle the leaky tranny that i discovered when i was under there.

Back