Reaction score
City, State
New Hampshire
Year, Model & Trim Level
'04 Sport Trac 4x4
Callsign
K1FQA
Hello all, first post here :)

I just recently acquired a 1991 Explorer 4 door, 5 speed, 4x4, manual hubs.

At around 30mph, a growling (low pitched squeak/grind) noise comes from the left front tire, and increases in pitch with speed (Engine speed causes no change, just vehicle speed), and intensifies while bearing right. The noise stops under 30mph.

I'm 99% sure this is a wheel bearing, but I just wanted to ask if anything else could be causing the noise before I go buy new bearings.

Also, does anyone have a link to a pictorial of front bearing replacement for a 1st gen Explorer? I did a search on here, but could only find rear wheels, and newer models.

Thanks!

Adam

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

With a bad bearing, it should move at almost any position on the tire.

IF it only moved as 12 and 6 then check ball joints

Only at 3 and 9 then its tie rod

~Mark

Well, I jacked it up, front and back.. No play in either tire. The front moved a little at 3 and 9, but the passenger side tire was moving along with it, as was the steering shaft. No wiggle 12 & 6 at all. It did "seem" to let me compress it a little, but after I pushed it in, it didn't seem to come back out at all when I pulled. It could have been in my head.

I still think it's the wheel bearing because of the sound and the fact that it lessens while turning left and gets worse turning right. It also disappears at low speed.

Anyone have any input?

Check that your brake lines aren't rubbing on the tire rim. I'd also recomend pulling the hub and rotor to check the bearings. Look for rocks stuck in between the dust shield(or whatever it is) and the rotor. Maybe you have a shot brake shoe that is dragging on the rotor?

Back