Wheel Bearings, 2 wheel drive, 2000 Ex | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Bearings, 2 wheel drive, 2000 Ex

Zmuzic

Reaction score
City, State
Ventura, Ca.
Year, Model & Trim Level
'00 EDDIE BAUER
(2000 Eddie 5.0, 2 wheel drive)

Ok, I have done a search and everything always says to replace the hub. Well I have a 2 wheel drive and it appears that there is no hub to replace.

So, do I buy inner and outer wheel bearings? Do I need anything else? I have wheel bearing grease. Do I just pop the dust cover off to remove the rotor and access the bearings? Or is there something that needs to be done with the allen/star key on the back side?

Yeah, I don't have a manual for the Explorer:eek:

Any help greatly appreciated

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

looking at my parts book it looks like a straight up swap to me.

Hopefully some one will back me up on that soon.

Good luck.

Hi there
nothing too complicated to this job, i also have a 2wd drive explorer,you take the caliper and cailper mounting bracket off, remove the front dust cap, remove the locking pin off the lock crown, remove the lock crown, undo the wheel bearing nut, remove the rotor from the spindle, then extract the bearings, clean everything off, pound out the bearing races ( inside and out) press the new ones in and resaseemble everything.............what you need would be inner and outer bearing and a dust seal for each side, six pieces in total..............working on jack stands the job takes about 3 hours...........good luck

I learn something new on here everyday, I didn't know there were any 2WD Eddies...

Hi there
nothing too complicated to this job, i also have a 2wd drive explorer,you take the caliper and cailper mounting bracket off, remove the front dust cap, remove the locking pin off the lock crown, remove the lock crown, undo the wheel bearing nut, remove the rotor from the spindle, then extract the bearings, clean everything off, pound out the bearing races ( inside and out) press the new ones in and resaseemble everything.............what you need would be inner and outer bearing and a dust seal for each side, six pieces in total..............working on jack stands the job takes about 3 hours...........good luck

Thanks for confirming what thought was the situation.

I started to pry the on the dust cap but then said to myself "let's make sure". Everything I have read on here talked about changing out the hub and always seemed to deal with a 4x4.

So I need inner & outer bearings and a dust seal and thats it for each side? I already bought the bearings but knew there had to be something else.

Thanks for the info. I will be doing the same thing when I put on the Power Slot rotors.
I learn something new on here everyday, I didn't know there were any 2WD Eddies...
Maybe not in Illinois. Its just the opposite down in South Louisiana. Not many AWD or 4WD.

I remember doing a class once in Okalhoma with some folks from Houston and New Orleans. We had a freak snow storm that freaked out the whole area. I learned they had never heard of snow tires, chains or 4wd.

We had the folks from Denver and Calgary drive. :)

Back