Wheel bearings again :X

Schamattack

Reaction score
City, State
Milwaukee, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT
Hello Everyone.

I have a 02 Ford Explorer that I replaced both front wheel bearings roughy 3 years ago. Both were replaced with Timkens. I recently replaced my upper control arms due to bad ball joints and a few days after could hear howling when cruising around 40-50mph. When I turn right it gets noticeably louder and when I turn left it gets quieter. I can feel what feels like grinding in the steering when driving and coming to a stop, almost like bad brake pads but they are brand new. Everything I am reading points to the driver side front wheel bearing. Anyone else have Timkens go out within 30k of replacement? I am thinking of trying MOOG this time.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Trouble is most of them are made by Federal Mogul who owns almost every brand.. They own SKF and Moog to name a couple

Gotta pay attention to where they are made. USA, Canada, Korea... Those will be the best. India, China, worst.

Thanks for the info. I was looking at RockAuto and nothing is stating Made in the USA for wheel bearings, even the Timkens dont say it. Everything I read on Timken was they are the best but after having one fail within 30k makes me nervous to purchase again.

I have read that the SKF ones are the best. They are also twice as expensive.

Someone also suggested that the final torque on the axle nut is very critical. Too much and it is prematurely hoses your bearing.

What ever you do , do not simply assume anything. Jack the car up and rock the wheels and check for play. Hand at the 12 and 6 o'clock position. I do not change out wheel bearing personally unit I can confirm play. It could be coming from the rear wheel bearings which are just as suspectable to failure.

I have read that the SKF ones are the best. They are also twice as expensive.

Someone also suggested that the final torque on the axle nut is very critical. Too much and it is prematurely hoses your bearing.

What ever you do , do not simply assume anything. Jack the car up and rock the wheels and check for play. Hand at the 12 and 6 o'clock position. I do not change out wheel bearing personally unit I can confirm play. It could be coming from the rear wheel bearings which are just as suspectable to failure.

Thanks, When i get off work ill jack the truck up and give it a good rocking.

Well guys I need some help now. I jacked all 4 tires up as suggested and while grabbing 12o clock and 6 o clock on the tires all 4 are solid as a rock. Any other way to determine if one of my wheel bearings are in fact the culprit?

That's usually the test.. :/

Cv boots in good shape? Both feel the same?

I recently changed out the front passenger side wheel bearing. It was making the same noise as you described. Tested all four wheels and they were solid. At least not noticeable by me. About 3 month 2K later it started to get really bad, and my ABS light was triggered. At this point I tested again and the bad bearing gave up the ghost, and the wheel rocked noticeably.

Having changed out wheel bearings in the past due to what I THOUGHT was a bad wheel bearing, and having it be NOT. I do not change out wheel bearings anymore until I can confirm.

If you look up the test in the factory service manual. I think there are other test that involve removing the brakes and CV half shafts. I know this is getting quite involved just to test.

And WTF is with FORDs and their wheel bearings. Not only on this generation Explorers, but I have heard of so many bad wheel bearing stories with Fords.

Are third gens serviceable bearings or complete hubs?

Well I will probably do as you suggest and wait until I can really pin point the failure. The howling is just to hard to pinpoint by sound and I am not going to invest the time/money in a guessing game. I checked my CV boots when I replaced my upper control arms and they looked fine in the front at least. I will feel better knowing its the rear then the front just because I have already replaced but I also know the rears are a much harder job. Luckily my dad has a 20 ton press in his garage to pop it out of the assembly but like I said not going to do the work until I can fully confirm.

Ok guys, After making that last post I went outside and tried the pull/push test again and this time I think I found it. Both passenger side and Driver side front tires do not move one micro inch, I mean nothing. The BACK driver side has literally like 1 micro inch of play, and I mean its super small BUT I can feel it compared to the others. I have to assume this is it. I think it is a safe bet to order one for now online so I can get it cheaper and by next week I am hoping it will be giving more symptoms of failure.

Ok guys, After making that last post I went outside and tried the pull/push test again and this time I think I found it. Both passenger side and Driver side front tires do not move one micro inch, I mean nothing. The BACK driver side has literally like 1 micro inch of play, and I mean its super small BUT I can feel it compared to the others. I have to assume this is it. I think it is a safe bet to order one for now online so I can get it cheaper and by next week I am hoping it will be giving more symptoms of failure.

.000001"? I'd live with that. :p. I've been lucky and not had to do any rears on any of my fords.

Doesn't take much. For me it is not so much the play, but that knock knock feel.

Hello Everyone.

I have a 02 Ford Explorer that I replaced both front wheel bearings roughy 3 years ago. Both were replaced with Timkens. I recently replaced my upper control arms due to bad ball joints and a few days after could hear howling when cruising around 40-50mph. When I turn right it gets noticeably louder and when I turn left it gets quieter. I can feel what feels like grinding in the steering when driving and coming to a stop, almost like bad brake pads but they are brand new. Everything I am reading points to the driver side front wheel bearing. Anyone else have Timkens go out within 30k of replacement? I am thinking of trying MOOG this time.
Have your tires rotated. Lots of folks get fooled by feathered/cupped tires. The noise will follow the tire. Bearings grind, they dont howl.

In my experience bearings can howl just like a bad tire.

One mans howl is another mans growl...

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Back