WHEEL BEARINGS - HELP NEEDED | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

WHEEL BEARINGS - HELP NEEDED

65 Fury Convert

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
How hard is it to replace my inner and outer front wheel bearings? When I went to NAPA the part numbers for the inner and outer where the same - is that correct? Do I need new bearing shields? Most importantly, how hard IS it to replace the bearings?

Thanks in advance!

well i just did this yesterday for the first time..and i'm not very car friendly..just broke :) ..first wheel took me a day, the other was on and off in an hour or so..once you see how to do it..i believe the 95+ are different than mine though..do a search..i'd say give it a go..but if you've got auto hubs you'll need a special $30 2 3/8" hex socket from napa..the cams were a ***** to get back on..get creative with a hammer/screwdriver..clean everything with brake cleaner to see what your doing easier..remember to hang the calipers from a string to avoid hanging from brake hoses (bad news!)..READ YOUR MANUAL!..search here at this site..and check out this page-> http://mark.legendz.com/explorer/art/art1.htm ..you'll also need a magnet pen, bearing grease, a pillow for your knees, maybe a jackstand, 4-5 beers, and some patience the first time around..if you know someone in real life who knows they're stuff, now would be a great time to bribe them for help on the first wheel..you'll also need new grease seals, and ya might as well turn the rotor's and change the pads if it's needed..oh yeah, and borrow a torque wrench from autozone ($90 refundable)..oh, and compressing the piston with a c-clamp can be confusing if you don't know what a piston is and how you should be compressing it..hope this helps..peace..

jeremy..

Back