• Register Today It's free!

Wheel bearings/hub - ABS

jayishere74

Reaction score
City, State
akron ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 sport trac 4x4
I've had a rubbing/grinding sound in my front drivers side wheel for a few weeks now. I thought it was a warped rotor (sounded and felt like it) so i changed both rotors and put on new pads today. To my dismay, the noise is still there. I'm thinking that i have a bad wheel bearing. For the last few years, i've also had a problem with my ABS (the standard pedal skidding at low speeds). I changed out the rear wheel speed sensor and still have the problem so more then likely it's one of the front sensors.

My question is, what are the chances that the bad bearing is causing the abs to fail ?

Also, could the grinding noise i'm getting be anything else then a bad wheel bearing/hub ? It's the same at any speed, it feels like a pulsing that you get with bad/warped rotors.

Thanks !!
Jay.

My question is, what are the chances that the bad bearing is causing the abs to fail ?

It could definitely play games with the ABS sensor on the hub. The ABS sensor "reads" a small sungear on the outside of the bearing within the casing. If the bearing is bad the sungear could have contacted the sensor, effectively wiping it out. OR, there could be so much ground up metal that it is sitting on the sensor or clogged up the ridges on the sungear, making so that the sensor can not possibly read it.

Also, could the grinding noise i'm getting be anything else then a bad wheel bearing/hub ? It's the same at any speed, it feels like a pulsing that you get with bad/warped rotors.

Yes, it could be. Also might be the CV/axles, a bearing problem in the front differential, maybe the front driveshaft, might be transfercase issues and the noise is being broadcast down the driveshaft to the front.

When you were doing your brakes, did you happen to notice if there was any unusual movement in the bearing? You might want to jack this truck up again (on jackstands for safety) and check them for play. If there is any weird movement, replace it now. If it is failing to the point that the truck is actually experiencing a "wobble" it could fail at any time.
Grab the front driveshaft and feel for lateral movement. Check the U-joint that connects the front driveshaft to the front differential. If it feels "chunky" or hangs up, replace.
You can look at the CV boots and see if theres any rips or tears, but since this noise has been going on for some time the CV is an unlikely source. Give the wheels a spin and listen while its up on the stands, but typically there will not be a noise present without the weight of the vehicle on the bearings.
Hope this helps you, good luck

My pos mounty...... Thanks for the advice ! When i was removing that rotor, i kind of thought there was some play in that hub, but i really didnt think much of it at the time. I guess i was in a hurry ! I'll check that out tomarrow. I havent had any wobble in the truck while driving, just the pulsating/grinding feel.

Back