Wheel Bearings pressed onto spindle? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Wheel Bearings pressed onto spindle?

Rod Bivens

Reaction score
City, State
Hillsboro, OR
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Ranger Sprcab XLT, 4.0
I am in the middle of replacing my wheel bearings, and cannot get the inner bearings off of the spindle on either side. Are the inner wheel bearings pressed onto the spindle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I dont think they are

I just did my ball joints over the winter,I am not for sure

Pressed in, that's what I found out at about the same point you did. I was prolly about as happy as you are right about now.

MJ

They may be siezed on there. If that is the case well more then likely you will have to buy new spindles. When I was doing the rotors on my brothers explorer his inner bearing was siezed on there do to lack of grease. I tried for several hours to get it off and the only thing that happened was a broken finger and several bloody knuckles. I hope you have better luck and can get them off.

According to the Chilton's, there pressed in. Of corse I didn't read that far into the process untill I tried to get them out for almost a hour.

I took one down to a shop to have it pressed off of the spindle, and it was definately seized. It ruined the spindle taking the bearing off. Back to the junk yard I guess.

For others with experience, are these supposed to just slide right off of the spindle, or what. If not, how do you get them off? Just by hitting them really hard with a chisel between the spindle and bearing?

The inner bearings are kept in the rotor by a wheel bearing seal. The seal is hammered on gently to keep the bearing in there. It is recomended to replace the seals evrytime you replace your rotors, bearings and when ever you grease them. They are cheap. If the inner bearing isn't siezed on the spindle they should come off when you pull the rotor off. To prevent them from siezing just check them everynow and then. I check and regrease mine when I do my oil change.

My Haynes manual says the same thing, use a screw driver to remove the bearing seal. But how?

Do you get the screwdriver up under the metal/rubber lip or start pounding on one of the sides on the outside lip?

Can someone help? I have one rotor off right now.

[edit]
I need to remove the bearing cup and the seal.[edit]

I have a special tool that I use to get it off but a claw hammer works just as well. Just take the claw part of the hammer and pry it up and out. Do you know what I mean?

Yeah, the book was a little misleading. It looked as though the seal and cup are two seperate parts, like you could seperate the rubber part from the metal part.

It was much easier to remove the seal from the front side hammering back at an angle against the seal. They popped right out.

Thanks!

the bearings shoudl come right out.... the only thing that is pressed with that whole bearing changing deal is the Races in the rotor but if your bearings were seized chances are that race is also bad... it is always good to check your bearings and repack them as needed and its a must for those of you with lifts.... checking to see if the spindel nuts for your manual hubs work loose.... and if your getting new rotor anyway they should come with new races.... and if you arent and need races they will tap out with a screw driver and go right back in with a litle tapping.

Back